Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
This topic is about The Republic of Thieves
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Lynch, Scott--The Republic of Thieves (Gentlemen Bastard #3); Informal buddy read; Starts 15 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch.

Synopsis
With what should have been the greatest heist of their career gone spectacularly sour, Locke and his trusted partner, Jean, have barely escaped with their lives. Or at least Jean has. But Locke is slowly succumbing to a deadly poison that no alchemist or physiker can cure. Yet just as the end is near, a mysterious Bondsmage offers Locke an opportunity that will either save him or finish him off once and for all.

Magi political elections are imminent, and the factions are in need of a pawn. If Locke agrees to play the role, sorcery will be used to purge the venom from his body - though the process will be so excruciating he may well wish for death. Locke is opposed, but two factors cause his will to crumble: Jean's imploring - and the Bondsmage's mention of a woman from Locke's past: Sabetha. She is the love of his life, his equal in skill and wit, and now, his greatest rival.

Locke was smitten with Sabetha from his first glimpse of her as a young fellow orphan and thief-in-training. But after a tumultuous courtship, Sabetha broke away. Now they will reunite in yet another clash of wills. For faced with his one and only match in both love and trickery, Locke must choose whether to fight Sabetha - or to woo her. It is a decision on which both their lives may depend

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments hey guys, i was the one who requested this buddy read and i'd like to read it sometime in june [probably starting earlier is better as it always seems to take me forever to read a book in this series] but anyway if you want to join in then just say what date is good for you and we'll try to make it work :)

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14770 comments Mod
I made it!
Ok I just need to check what I’m reading in June and which format I’ll get this one and I’ll pop back

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ok, yep, I'll get this from audible and the paperback from my library so I'm in for June!
How about June 8 so if we are doing a BOM they won't cross over?

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments ok sounds good, official date is june 8!

how did you feel about the first two? i'm kind of worried about this one because of the romance angle lol

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I absolutely loved the first one.
But then I waited too long to get to book 2, so I ended up re-reading book 1 and moving straight into book 2.
I think it was a mistake,
By the end of book 2 all the double crossing etc. had gotten a bit tiresome so I knew I needed a break before book 3!
I'll have to go back to the old BR thread and remind myself of what happened in book 2 now :o

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments i read the first one several years ago and i wasn't really that impressed with it [gave it 2 stars] mostly because i just felt like Locke was such a Standard Fantasy Thief and that he didn't have much personality [an unpopular opinion I know] and also because it seemed the author was always going on and on about the gender equality in his world but there still weren't really any main female characters who got a lot of page time and that bothered me a lot so I wasn't planning on continuing with it.

Then I saw some interview he did where he was talking about how people were complaining because there was this badass pirate mom in the second one. Hang on I've just gotta find it because it was so great

Your characters are unrealistic stereotpyes of political correctness. Is it really necessary for the sake of popular sensibilities to have in a fantasy what we have in the real world? I read fantasy to get away from politically correct cliches.
God, yes! If there’s one thing fantasy is just crawling with these days it’s widowed black middle-aged pirate moms.

lmao. #amazing. so anyway i was like THAT SOUNDS GREAT ACTUALLY and decided to read the 2nd one so I did that earlier this year. i enjoyed it for the most part but it is soooo long and like you i felt there were way too many double crosses and also a real disconnect between the first and second half of the book so i ended up giving it 3 stars. i would have given it 5 for the 2nd half alone but i really didn't care for the first bit. once the pirates showed up everything was amazing though and i think locke is infinitely more interesting when he's not necessarily 'in charge'.

wow that was longer than i thought it was gonna be lol

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Well I read book 1 back in 2014 and I remember feeling like it was a cross between "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and "Oliver Twist", but I also quite liked the fantasy version of Venice in the 18th century. I thought the setting was pretty unique.
I don't particularly remember the gender equality aspect, but anything set in that kind of time period (even fantastical), I always assume women will be treated like footnotes

lol @ "widowed black middle-aged pirate moms. " true enough - don't see many of them in literature ;)

I do really like the relationship between Locke and Jean ; and the humour through the books. I'm looking forward to how that relationship will be developed further.
Looks like from the synopsis book 3 has a bit of romance happening!

message 11: by Devann (last edited May 12, 2018 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments yeah, it was kind of this weird mix of like ...idk he went out of his way to like always say how 'and women can totally do this and this and this' but the only female characters were like Locke's semi-love interest and some dude's wife and these two fighters who had like two scenes and got killed, so I was like ... ???? But then I figured 'ok he's probably trying and just like on a learning curve so I'll try the next one' and I got all these wonderful lady pirates! So I felt like maybe he just needed a book to warm up or something.

Kind of worried about the romance in this book because honestly Locke's huge absentee crush has always been - to me - his most annoying personality trait, but maybe I should just trust that it will turn out to be interesting lol. I did really enjoy Locke in the second book though and also Locke and Jean's relationship. I know this sounds completely backwards but in the middle of the book I literally like stopped reading it for awhile and went to go look for fanfiction of it and that's how I knew I was really enjoying it. Totally backwards that when I really love a book I want to ...not be reading that book lol BUT it means I like the characters so much I want to see what fans are doing with them [not a lot in this case, but I wasn't expecting many fics fo this particular fandom]

but anyway I just can't NOT read a book called 'republic of thieves' like it's physically impossible so I guess I'm in it for the long haul lol

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited May 12, 2018 03:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

lol
I felt a bit that way reading Howard's End recently. I was so curious to see what fan fiction had been done as I love the characters so much and I'm quite concerned how they would have fared through WWI and WWII
lol

Yes the titles are great. As is the series name

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments hey, are we still planning to start this tomorrow? i'm finishing up another super long high fantasy book today since i absolutely cannot be reading more than one at the same time lol

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Devann wrote: "hey, are we still planning to start this tomorrow? i'm finishing up another super long high fantasy book today since i absolutely cannot be reading more than one at the same time lol"

I'm in two super long books at the moment too. I have this on the shelf ready... but how do you feel about giving it a week?

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments that would probably work. how long did it take you to read the others? because i think the 2nd one took me almost two weeks and i definitely remember feeling like i was pushing myself with it lol and then the first one i think i spent almost a month on [although mostly bc i wasn't into it so hopefully won't be that long with this one]. so if you get through them more quickly i might start a bit ahead of you so we can even out later on

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

All good I’ll definitely be reading slow. I have the paperback but I intend to listen to the audio (I like flicking back and forth) so I won’t be fast. I think the audio is over 20 hours so that will take me a few weeks

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments ok cool, i'm planning on using it for my workout book which means i'll mostly be reading the ebook on the elliptical and i think it took me almost between 15-20 hours to read the last one so this one will probably be similar [interesting that my reading speed apparently drops so low with high fantasy books but it really does take a lot for me to retain all the information with these types of books]

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

good-o
I've changed the date to the 15th then :)

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments ok, didn't get very far but i did get started lol i know you said you were doing audiobook so i'm not sure if they announce the sub-parts of each chapter but this is for the prologue and up to chapter 1 part 9, although none of it is even particularly spoilery so i don't think i'll actually cut anything

i almost thought i had grabbed the wrong book when i started the prologue because it was a flashback and i couldn't remember how the first book started so i was like wait did i get the right one? anyway, it was a nice introduction to sabetha i guess, although honestly the whole instalove on locke's part had me rolling my eyes, especially since he was like six, who was even thinking about romance at six??

liking chapter 1 so far. not much has happened yet really but i like how sarcastic locke is and how him and jean snark at each other lol also the phrase 'scry your piss' is just ...such a thing. thank you so much for that. what a gross thing for a doctor to have to do, although i guess nowhere near the grossest [or weirdest, since he also asked if he had swallowed an amethyst lol]

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah I started the audiobook last night so I’m still back in Oliver Twist territory. I didn’t the same thing with the throwback to the past.
I’m so glad I didn’t make up in my head that he was only 6. My eldest is 6 and there is just... no way...

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments lol yeah i'm thinking back to when i was 6 and i definitely did not have crushes on anyone at that age.

finished chapter 1 and the interlude after it

i always find that these books feel mildly discouraging because it's like 'well i've been reading it for 2 hours now and i'm about to start chapter 2!' i like books with really short chapters that make me feel accomplished lol

anyway i both like and dislike the interludes. it's a nice framing technique to have the story happening in the present timeline and the flashbacks and have them parallel each other somewhat, but also i usually don't care as much about the parts of the books where locke is a child, although i did feel particularly bad for him in this case (view spoiler)

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm just in part 10 of chapter 1.

I feel like Jean was really incredibly stupid. Like, it can't be that hard to ask around and find out where a man slowly bleeding out of his skin is being kept (and clearly not as they found them within 24 hours!!).
I've always enjoyed their friendship and I understand his loyalty, but I think that showed the difference between Locke and Jean. If the situations were reversed, Locke would have been much more clever

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments haha agreed, he thought of all the obvious things i guess what with blindfolding the guy and dropping him off somewhere different but like you said if he really has consulted EVERY doctor in the city then it's not going to be hard to track him down regardless. hate to say it but they really should have just killed him lol

and yeah locke probably would have come up with something much more complicated. also i love how they're always like one step ahead of each other. like back in the last book when jean was trying to give the antidote to locke but then locke managed to get it into jean's drink instead. and then in this one locke is like well i hid some money under the floor and jean is like yeah i already found that and now it's gone lmao. GREAT JOB GUYS, you are your own worst enemy

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

LOL
yes too true. He really should have killed him unfortunately... or immediately moved Locke somewhere else.

And yes, the money under the floor thing.. haha. They really do just keep fighting against one another (for noble reasons though)

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments this is 500% locke and jean

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

bahahaha
that's it!

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments ok so today i read ...chapter 2 then the flashback that is after that, the little weird 2 page chapter thing from some unknown person's pov, and chapter 3. honestly the chapter structure of these books is ridiculous and seems to be getting more so as they go along

for the flashback (view spoiler)

for the present timeline (view spoiler)

message 28: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

You're ahead of me. I just finished all of Chapter one which ends when Locke (view spoiler).

The chapter structure is strange and I had forgotten it from the other books. That is why I am so glad I have the paperback as if just listening to the audio it can be really difficult to know which time period you're in.

Will come back to your chapter 2 spoilers once I'm further ahead.

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments i figured that i need to read about 7-8% of it a day to finish it by the end of the month so i'm going to try to keep that up but sometimes i can get into a rut with these kinds of books so we'll see

and yeah i can't imagine trying to solely listen to it because i feel like it would be so confused. i'm mildly confused sometimes even with the ebook because of course it's not so easy to flip around as it would be with a paperback

message 30: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fair enough ;) I have so many books on the go at the moment I can't decide if I need to just stick with one to the end of continue going back and forth!

I've just started into Chapter 2, and I do really love how Locke cusses. I think it was something like "stinking dragons piss". lol. Cracks me up

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments i've always got several going at once but i know sometimes there is that one book that you feel like you're neglecting and just need to power through lol

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Devann wrote: "ok so today i read ...chapter 2 then the flashback that is after that, the little weird 2 page chapter thing from some unknown person's pov, and chapter 3. honestly the chapter structure of these b..."

Good point with Sabetha. I'm ready for her to turn up too!!

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jun 18, 2018 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

So I'm into part 3 of Chapter 4.
I really love how we are finding out more about the Bondsmagi as they were always so interesting to me. What I'm SUPER keen to know is why (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments i read up through part 4 of chapter 4 today so we're pretty close to the same spot now lol i agree that i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with the whole Patience thing (view spoiler)

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Haha absolutely!
I like Patience and I love her name and how that suits them - the way they get slow revenge 😎.
So I finished that chapter and I’m now into part two.
Loves the cliffhanger ending to part one! I’m actually into the style now that I’m used to the back and forth again.
I’d forgotten how much I liked Chains. What an awesome character.
I’m facilitating a workshop tomorrow so won’t get a whole bunch read but will
Be listening on the train 😀

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments im am through part 3 of ....chapter 5 right now

i also loved the cliffhanger / big reveal at the end of part 1. i'm glad too because i was wondering if the whole sabetha plotline was going to intersect with the rigged election plotline or if it was going to be two totally different stories basically like in the last book. i much prefer it to all be more closely related.

i love how chains was like Y'ALL ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! LEAVE! lol he needs a break from the kids.

also speaking of interesting ways to swear, 'god's immaculate piss' is a pretty good one lol

i liked the part where sabetha was like 'when will you learn that refusing to admit you lost isn't the same as winning' and locke says 'depends on how long you keep refusing' because that is literally his entire life philosophy summed up in one sentence

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments so i finished chapter 5 and read through part 3 of the interlude after that.

chapter 5 (view spoiler)

interlude (view spoiler)

message 38: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Devann wrote: "im am through part 3 of ....chapter 5 right now

i also loved the cliffhanger / big reveal at the end of part 1. i'm glad too because i was wondering if the whole sabetha plotline was going to inte..."

haha
the swearing is just great.

I'm still in part 2 - about to start Chapter 7. But looking at where part 3 is, I think you are in part 2, and so just behind me. So I'll check your spoilers... lol

message 39: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh yes, that chapter 5 was great. Actually I can't wait to hear your thoughts on chapter 6
(view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments i finished chapter 6 and read parts 1 and 2 of the interlude after that [up to the part where young locke and sabetha are meeting w/ the solicitor] so i think you're just a bit ahead of me [unless you've read more lol]

i've gotta say i'm enjoying this one a lot more than the last two. the first one i just straight up couldn't make myself care about the world / characters and the second one i got fed up with because of what i considered two almost completely separate plotlines but this one is doing a good job of keeping on track and being interesting.

and oh my god CHAPTER 6! LOCK YOU MORON! like the literal second she was like 'oh please kiss my neck' i was like YOU CANNOT BE THAT DUMB. i mean i know he can be that dumb because he's got a huge sabetha-shaped blind spot but seriously that is like complete amateur hour. and how she incapacitated jean had me laughing as well, girl definitely knows what she's doing. i'll admit i was a bit worried about this book because of the underlying romance angle but i am really enjoying it so far.

also yeah i still have no idea what's going on with the few intersect pages but definitely very intriguing!

message 41: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hahaha
Yes he is such a moron

And I loved the “20 armed guards are in the next room” joke🤗

I’m about to start part three

I totally agree with you about this book. I did love the first one, though. And this has that same charm for me. With the last interlude I think I am done with the past and just want to get “on with the show” now though. He is so ridiculous when it comes to Sabetha. Maybe this book will be the one to harden and turn him away from her?

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments i agree that i feel like it's about time for the interludes to come to an end, but he eventually dropped them in the 2nd book and just had all chapters be in the present timeline so maybe there are not any towards the end? i didn't really look at the chapter list before i started.

also i love how the whole thorn of camorr thing was because of sabetha and how he wanted her to know that he didn't start it himself lol

i feel like if i went back and reread the first one now i would probably enjoy it more but it's such a long book that i don't think that will be happening any time soon

and yeah i do feel like this book either has to end with them like ...together or separated permanently. i REALLY hope it doesn't end with her dead because UGH. and i don't really see them actually together ...now i'm really worried she's gonna die lol. i'm hoping not bc lynch seems to realize the pitfalls that most authors fall into with love interests and killing them off for manpain is like THE WORST TROPE so i'm hoping he will avoid it buuuuut

message 43: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I hope she lives but that Locke makes a decision to move on. He really needs to.
Surely Lynch can’t kill off any more characters?! 😮 I wouldn’t be happy if she or Jean died.
I think he needs Sabetha as a character to come back in like book 6 or something

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments i don't think he would kill of jean but i'm just so used to male authors killing off the love interest when they don't know what else to do that it's like the first thing i jump to. but like i said hopefully he knows better! but on the other hand it seems like someone close to locke or jean dies in every book and that list is veeeeery short now.

but yeah i agree that locke needs to move on. the fact that he's been pining after her for years and refused to even sleep with anyone else has always been his most annoying character trait in my opinion. i think at the beginning it was supposed to make him seem ~romantic~ but i've always just been like 'can you stop being so pathetic' so i guess it definitely didn't work on me lol

message 45: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Without Jean there really wouldn't be a series to write, so I can only hope. He and Locke play off each other so well and we need both of them to be able to like either of them lol.

I guess it does show that he has a softer side and a 'heart'. But Lynch has taken it wee bit far imo. You're right, that it is a bit pathetic at times

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments i agree that unfortunately a locke & sabetha centered series would not be nearly as enjoyable as a locke & jean one really solely for the reason that locke turns into a complete IDIOT anytime she's around lol

so today i finished the interlude where they go see the dude to get the other dude out of jail [i'm awful with names lmao] and then chapter 7 i think and then the first part of the next interlude so when i finish this interlude i'll be done with part 2.

honestly the interludes are really getting on my nerves at this point because they aren't nearly as interesting as the main story line and also they seem to be way longer than the present chapters most of the time. i think they're important as like a framing device but i feel like 2/3rds of the book should be devoted to the present and it seems like it's actually the other way around so it's like i hit an interlude and see how long it is and i'm like yeah i'll come back to that tomorrow, whereas if it was just in the present i would be getting through this a lot faster.

message 47: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah, I thought we were done with Interludes in part 3, but bam! Just entered into another one. I agree that they are useful to a point.

At the moment I am a bit over Locke and his stupidity with Sabetha. And there's not much left of the book, so I am concerned that you may be right and Lynch will kill her off
:0

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just read that Lynch had depression for six years and a divorce while writing this novel which I guess explains some of Locke’s puppy-dog-ness with Sabetha .... 😢

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments yeah i am also getting pretty worried for sabetha. and like ...i mean that absolutely sucks for him and his real life situation while writing this but also if he's basically seeing himself as locke and his ex as sabetha and then he ends up killing her? #yikes lol i'm still holding out hope she can just ride off into the sunset. and yeah locke's increased puppy-dog-ness probably has something to do with the divorce because i feel like it has been getting more ridiculous than in the past books, although maybe that's just because of her increased presence in general

hopefully i will break through to part 3 later today lol

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments ok so i'm in part 6 of ...whatever chapter is the first chapter in part 3 lol i think it's chapter 8?

anyway, at this point locke AND sabetha are both starting to get on my nerves, her because she can't seem to make up her mind as to whether she likes him or not and him because he's just rather pathetic. honestly at the point we're at in the interludes i'm surprised they actually ended up together for any period of time because they are just ...so not suited for each other at all. like at the beginning i was putting most of the blame on locke but sabetha is definitely taking a larger portion of it as i get further in the book.

anyway i'm gonna try to make some real progress in this today as i think you're a bit ahead of me and also i'm getting to the point where i just need to be done with it already.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Republic of Thieves (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Scott Lynch (other topics)