Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Maas, Sarah. J--A Court of Mist and Fury informal buddy read starts May 22, 2018; Reread starts November 4, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas.

Synopsis
Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Thanks mods! I know this is the 2nd book in a series but I hope there's still people who haven't read it yet :D

message 5: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Like me :D

message 6: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Everybody keeps saying the second book is by far the best in series. So let's hope my high expectations won't be crushed.
Took me some time to warm up to ACOTAR but by the end I was totally sold.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Yes! Good thing I have you! Thus we have this thread! Haha!

This is the only Maas books am reading, I don't think I'll ever read her Throne of Glass series.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Skandia wrote: "Everybody keeps saying the second book is by far the best in series. So let's hope my high expectations won't be crushed.
Took me some time to warm up to ACOTAR but by the end I was totally sold."

The ending was the reason I decided to continue the series! Let's hope this goes well for both of us :D

message 9: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments Hey all! I'd like to join in ... it's a long one for sure!

message 10: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Trinia, please do join! The more the merrier!

I'm starting tonight.
Interested to see how the deal between Fayre and Rhysand plays out and what Tamlin thinks of it.
I must say I'm not the biggest fan of fae and fairy books. That is why it took me some time to even start with this insanely popular series but after first book I do like the world author has created and want to know more of other courts.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I'll ne starting in a bit. Which court do you want to mmet up?;)

message 12: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Hmm.... summer court wherever it is. I am truly a summer person, no other reason :)
I hope we wouldn't have to fight annoying fae and those other scary things while getting there!

And couple of pages in and Fayre is already her charmingly annoying self.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Right???? Feyre is a top contender for.most annoying characters ever. Sigh, I should be careful with my words for fear of fans telling me i have no taste. haha

message 14: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Chapter 4 - I want to slap her. What an ungratful brat. Me, me, me, me .... Does she really love Tamlin at all?

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments She was all over Tamlin in the previous book and now she's fleeing him?

message 16: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I know, right!? Did not buy that sudden change of hearts.

I'm up to chapter 9

I like Fayre less and less. Takes a lot to change my mind now.
(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Oh but I liked him from book 1 already. Okay, maybe Rhys is 60% of the reason I read book 2 haha!

message 18: by Steven (new)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4946 comments I will be picking this up soon, I hope. In the next week or so, perhaps!?

message 19: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments I'd love to read it with the group too - I'm hoping other books permit!

message 20: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments Just started this one and feel so lost... hopefully the author will remind me of book 1?

message 21: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Chapter 15

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Trinia, there are some flashbacks in book #2 from Fayre but if you need more reminder http://www.bookseriesrecaps.com/what-...

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments ~chapter 20

(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments ~chapter 25

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Skandia (last edited May 25, 2018 06:04AM) (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Kathleen wrote: "~chapter 25

(view spoiler)

Other than that, I do enjoy Night Court world and characters more than Spring Court book #1.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I agree. I like the Night Court more than the Spring court. Also, more colorful characters here than in Spring. Tamlin's being passive. It's weird how his character was painted gold in the first book and now it's neutral.

Amren is going to be a fun character!

message 27: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I've finished.
Like in first book all the really interesting action took place at the very end and it was good. Many new twists and turns.

(view spoiler)

I did like this second book more than first in series and mostly because of the Night Court and characters. It went quite romancy towards the end - a part I could have done without.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Almost tempted to click on spoiler tag! Would you want to BR the last book? It has to be around July though, Im already drowning in BRs on June lol.

message 29: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Kathleen wrote: "Almost tempted to click on spoiler tag! Would you want to BR the last book? It has to be around July though, Im already drowning in BRs on June lol."

Yep, let's plan this for July

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments When do you want it? Ive also got ToG (gifted by a friend aaaages ago) if you haven't read it too and want to get it over with? Tjat one though, I think I will not like.

message 31: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I could start right first of July if it's ok with you.
ToG I have and same doubts about it actually but no problem, let's read it too. Later in July maybe.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments July 2 for ACOWAR and July 15 for ToG?

message 33: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Deal!
I'm on serious Fantasy kick right now. I'm considering throwing Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson also in the mix. You up to that?

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Ah well, what's another more? lol. Sure! When?

message 35: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments After ToG?

message 36: by kat (wanderfulbooks) (last edited May 28, 2018 03:12AM) (new)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Just finished the chapter where Feyre learns (view spoiler)

Amren is still my favorite character!

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments July 16 then? lol

Seriously, pissed off with Feyre's reaction. What the heck woman. Injured guy first, drama later.

message 38: by Breiana (new)

Breiana (bree200505) OMG I HAVENT GOT UP TO THAT PART, NOOOOOOO

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Sorry, I was so pissed I forgot to put spoiler tags! Editing now.

message 40: by Breiana (new)

Breiana (bree200505) Lol, dw

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Just a few paragraphs into chpater 52 and Feyre is all (view spoiler)

This woman. I think I want to reread Kate Daniels afterall. ;)

message 42: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Yep Kathleen, tell us how you really feel! :)

Feyre is the most selfish character and annoys me to the limits but the story and world building is so good that I need to continue. Soon.

The ending, though ... Whyy???

message 43: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Skandia wrote: "After ToG?"

Sure :)

message 44: by Breiana (new)

Breiana (bree200505) I actually like feyre, Lol...tbh I like every character

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Skandia wrote: "Yep Kathleen, tell us how you really feel! :)

Feyre is the most selfish character and annoys me to the limits but the story and world building is so good that I need to continue. Soon.

The endin..."

Almost finished. If this book ends on a sad and tragic note, then the ending for this series better make up for it. Though I saw in the BR requests thread a book 3.5 with our characters buliding Velaris again. I hope that's just some sort of an epilogue and the author isn't thinking of extnding the series.

message 46: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Looking at the series GR page, looks like books #4, #5, #6 are coming.

message 47: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments Hmmm....so I started this, and while parts are interesting, it has all of the YA tropes that personally really really really really bother me. I just have other books I want to read more that aren't going to make me angry :)

That said, my book is on kindle, and is loanable (according) to those with a US Kindle account. So if anyone fits that and would like to borrow it, just send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Skandia wrote: "Looking at the series GR page, looks like books #4, #5, #6 are coming."

I know. Seriously, this author. Three books is okay. Her ToG I think has 6 books? Have no idea if she wrapped up that series already or still milking it.

Btw, have you read The Emperor's Soul? It's one of my favorite Sandersons

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Suzanne wrote: "Hmmm....so I started this, and while parts are interesting, it has all of the YA tropes that personally really really really really bother me. I just have other books I want to read more that aren'..."

I know what you mean ;) So many books, so little time rings true.

I do have a US account but have a copy amd a few chapters near the end already. Thanks for the generosity Suzanne! I didn't know books are lendable with Kindle. That sounds awesome.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Read some of the reviews for 3.5 and it seems like it's going to Nesta's story? Anyway, I don't think Im reading beyond book 3.

« previous 1