NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Coat Check [All About You] > Other Addictions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee | 68 comments Well, since I am here, I have already confessed to being addicted to requesting NG books. Made me think about what else I can't resist...
Entering GR giveaways, I rarely if ever win one, & yet I keep entering...
Growing too many vegetable plants. Yep, I have taken over every bit of yard space & know how many plants I can grow & yet, as I am now hardening them off, I still have too many...
Looking for intriguing bookstores when I travel, even though I have finally got my actually buying physical books addiction under control...
Anyone have other things they cannot resist?

message 2: by Saarah (new)

Saarah Niña (saarahnina) | 5 comments Umm.... I can't resist wanting to be a minimalist. I quite like the aesthetic but, I'm all for being a balanced minimalist. Trouble is, it's difficult to maintain. I've got the attitude just no time to act on it!

I also can't resist going to charity shops and coming out with a handful of second-hand books. This doesn't help things!

Jen - The Tolkien Gal (fayepixie) | 25 comments Agreed on the gardening! I started only just recently and adding more and more plants is addictive. Another one of my addictions is buying books!

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 14 comments like books, I like buying music - I prefer cd's over downloads but have lots of them a well as gig's of download music which I can stream.
I also like to garden but with this heat in Texas i'm not working too hard at it this year.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments Genealogy for me.

message 6: by Annie (new)

Annie (bionerdannie) | 32 comments Embroidery and knitting. I've got more yarn and fibres than I can ever hope to use, but I can't resist lovely fibres! <3 My special embroidery weakness is 17th-19th century samplers.

message 7: by Dorie - Cats&Books :) (last edited Mar 23, 2019 03:25PM) (new)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking at all of the luscious batik's and beautiful patterns. I also use high quality cotton for my quilts because I'm hoping they will be handed down, etc. It gets expensive but it's my only splurge now that I get so many ARCs that I seldom buy books except as gifts. Anyone else a quilter here?

Oh well cats are another obsession. I've had cats for 48 years, as long as we've been married. I have two beautiful long haired cats at the moment, ages 1 and 2, the youngest one is my avatar. I volunteered at the Humane Society for 10 years and fostered kittens also. I don't know if this qualified as an obsession, I've never allowed myself to have any more than 3 cats at a time and we're good with the two for now, they are so bonded :)

I grew up with dogs and love all animals but cats worked better for us with the four kids, dogs are a lot of work

I bet there are other cat lovers and quilters here :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments I'm an animal lover. Currently I don't have a pet but I have had 2 cats and a dog in the past and will be getting a new puppy in April!

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 59 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking at all of the luscious batik's and beautiful patterns. I also use..."

I'm a quilting tragic as well Dorie. Just love buying gorgeous fabrics and have more than I can possibly use (just like books!). Any excuse to pop into my local quilt shop which is full of enthusiastic quilters all willing to help choose from their wonderful range. I've just semi-retired so hope to have a lot more time turning my stash into quilts (and maybe visiting the quilt shop more often!) .

I would also love to be a cat lady (we had five cats when I was growing up) but my husband has put his foot down at two, but he is thawing on the idea of getting a dog now that I'll have more time to spend with it.

message 10: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Carolyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking at all of the luscious batik'..."

What kind of dog are you thinking? Also adoption or breeder? ^_^

message 11: by Dorie - Cats&Books :) (last edited Mar 23, 2019 05:21PM) (new)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments Carolyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking at all of the luscious batik'..."

I don't think my cats would welcome a puppy and my husband absolutely won't go along with that idea, ha!

I seldom buy fabric on a whim, I usually buy what is needed for the quilt that I'm making. I do have lots of "left overs" from 5 years of quilting that I will have to turn into some kind of scrappy quilt. I love The Missouri Star Quilt Company's online tutorials and their fabric. Do you ever use them?

I knew there would be quilters here and animal lovers. It seems to go along with loving books, not sure why. Maybe we're just more sensitive people? Just guessing :)

I grew up with dogs. I lost a sister when I was only 4, she was 8 and that's when I got a dog. She was my best friend, a mix of cocker spaniel and springer spaniel, she was sweet and very pretty :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments Robin wrote: "Genealogy for me."

Is there a program or app that you like to use for Geneology? We have several members of the family that have done some searching, so far no real surprises but they only went back about 4 generations so we knew most of that. I would love to know about my mother's family because she never spoke about them, I know lot's about my dad's family saga. It's interesting, I would be afraid I would become addicted to that also and spend hours on the computer :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments Annie wrote: "Embroidery and knitting. I've got more yarn and fibres than I can ever hope to use, but I can't resist lovely fibres! <3 My special embroidery weakness is 17th-19th century samplers."

I knit for about 10 years but then between my RA and osteoarthritis I had to quit. I enjoyed knitting mostly for my grandkids, for myself I always found something wrong with it, ha! Also I'm allergic to wool and most of the beautiful yarn has at least some wool in it :)

message 14: by MissBecka (last edited Mar 24, 2019 01:43AM) (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 43 comments Things I am addicted too other than books?
Traditional letter writing, crochet, concerts, movies and bunnies (I would totally have a house full of bunnies if my husband would let me lol).

message 15: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 77 comments MissBecka wrote: "Things I am addicted too other than books?
Traditional letter writing, crochet, concerts, movies and bunnies (I would totally have a house full of bunnies if my husband would let me lol)."

The wild cottontails and quail on our property are used to me and I spend some time each day, out in the barn and on the property, being around them and watching them. I feel like they are an important part of my life.

And I must walk each day (I was addicted to running but my joints no longer allow me to do so). Walking/moving is like a drug for me and I know my body and mind need me to get out and walk or I just do not feel like my day is complete.

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking at all of the luscious batik's and beautiful patterns. I also use..."

Is that your cat in your profile pic? So cute, I love orange tabbies - mine is a female orange tabby, but I also feed 6 stray cats who live in my backyard. We've managed to TNR all of them so they're no longer reproducing, phew! There was a seventh but my mom managed to tame her and so she's now my mom's cat, lol. I also used to volunteer at the Humane Society - it was rewarding, but also sometimes depressing and I had to stop.

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Robin wrote: "Genealogy for me."

Is there a program or app that you like to use for Geneology? We have several members of the family that have done some searching, so far no real surprises but the..."

I use a combo of Ancestry.com's online tree and Family Tree Maker - my tree syncs between the two so I can easily use both. It is definitely addictive! Do not start genealogy if you don't want to be consumed by it, lol.

message 18: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Noble (outsmartyourshelf) | 35 comments Robin wrote: "I use a combo of Ancestry.com's online tree and Family Tree Maker - my tree syncs between the two so I can easily use both. It is definitely addictive! Do not start genealogy if you don't want to be consumed by it, lol."

I've fallen down the family history 'rabbithole' too. I started researching my family tree a couple of years ago, thinking it was fairly small. Found out it is actually a really big extended family and it will take me years to untangle it all.

message 19: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 77 comments Robin wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking at all of the luscious batik'..."

In our remote county, there is no TNR program so we pay for doing so ourselves but have only managed to release one cat. After that we've kept them in our home. The 5 cats in my avatar are formerly feral, now now cats. And the other photo in my album is our mini Schnauzer rescue. 💜

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments Robin wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking at all of the luscious batik'..."

Yes that's my little Bailey, he is grown now and 1 1/2 years old. He is actually a long hair and they thought he had some Maine Coon in him, who knows, he was a Humane Society kitty :) My other kitty is 2 1/2 and they have boned well.

I also got burned out at the Humane society, by the people not the animals of course

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments marilyn wrote: "Robin wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking at all of the l..."

Wow, that must have been expensive? Our Humane Society does charge for TNR's but it's only $60 per cat. Also, if you officially become a "Cat Colony Manager", TNRs are free. So after the first cat, I became a colony manager and the other 6 cats were free. We tried to tame two others, but my mom's cat was the only one that was responsive, and she's so friendly now, you'd never know she was once feral.

message 22: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 77 comments Robin wrote: "marilyn wrote: "Robin wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking..."

We spent over $1000 to have the feral cats neutered/spayed, shots, and anything else they needed but it was worth it. In the end all but the cat we released are tame house cats although a few of them will probably always be very reactive to noises and strangers. They love our dogs though.

Most of these you would never know they were feral either and we are so thankful we could give them a home. Here large prey birds and coyotes would have gotten the cats eventually. We didn't want more babies to be born to that kind of life...actually no need for more kittens to be born anywhere until existing cats have a good home. 💜

message 23: by Robin (last edited Mar 24, 2019 01:30PM) (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Robin wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking at all of the l..."

I didn't really work much with customers but I just really struggled seeing so many animals suffering so much. Shelters are so stressful for them, and even though you know it's temporary, it's still hard to deal with on a regular basis. Everyone there tries to make the animals as comfortable as possible, of course, because we're all there because we love animals, but there's only so much we can do. Plus, where I live, there is a big stray cat problem so there's so many cats there at any given time, it's hard to give them individual attention. It's actually one of the biggest Humane Societies in the country and was featured on Nat Geo as one of those "animal cops" type shows - it was called Rock Mountain Animal Rescue (Humane Society of Pikes Peak Region). It looks like you can watch it here: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv...

And then there's all the animals that get euthanized - I'm not anti-euthanizing, it really is for the best sometimes - but it's still hard to see. Even when it happens for medical reasons, like if the animal is already dying and they're just putting an end to its suffering, it's still just so sad. I'm so emotional when it comes to animals.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments Robin wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Robin wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local qu..."

Looks like a great humane society. They finally built a new humane society in our county about 5 or 6 years ago, the other one was so small we were using two camping trailers for the staff and sick animals! I live in a suburb where there are seldom stray cats but 3/4 of this county is still farmland and there is the problem of barn cats constantly reproducing. We have a program where we will spay or neuter them a few times a year but the owners have to be willing to take the time and effort, it is always great to hear about the one that do :)

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments marilyn wrote: "Robin wrote: "marilyn wrote: "Robin wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt sh..."

Yeah, I worry about the strays outside because we also live in a high predator area, but we live in a very suburban neighborhood with high fences around every house, so it at least generally keeps the coyotes out (there are exceptions though - a coyote was spotted in a our neighborhood once, and another time a bear wandered into a nearby neighborhood and it had to be darted/sedated for transportation into the mountains). The cats live in my bushes and I also have two shelters I made for them, so they have decent protection from above too. Everyday when I feed them, I make sure I see each one of them so I know they're all safe.

message 26: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 77 comments Robin wrote: "marilyn wrote: "Robin wrote: "marilyn wrote: "Robin wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into m..."

You're giving your cats the best of lives and I'm thankful for people like you. 💖

message 27: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 59 comments Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going into my local quilt shop and looking at all of the..."

A smallish one Anna - not too fussy about breeds as long as it's not too wild! Will check out the local adoption centres first before local breeders. We're planning a big trip later this year so maybe after that :)

message 28: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Carolyn wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA. I love going in..."

If you love cuddlers I would recommend the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Requires daily grooming though. :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA...."

My niece has the Cavalier Spaniel, I haven't met her but she is very cuddly I hear, likes lots of attention but has a sweet personality. She is going to train her so that she can use her to take to nursing homes, etc. and this breed was recommended, she's still too young and feisty though :)

message 30: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovere..."

That's one of the reasons I got her. I have severe anxiety and love to cuddle animals. I'm hoping to use her as my own therapy dog. :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote..."

Sounds like a good plan. I had dogs when I was young but we have had kitties since we we've been married. I don't know what I would do without my cats to snuggle when I feel bad :)

message 32: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Mar 26, 2019 11:53AM) (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "C..."

I've had both cats and dogs. Love both. Dogs are a bit better at cuddling though. At least from my experience. Cats can definitely be cuddlers but you have to find the right one. Kind of the same with dogs but dogs in general are more cuddly. :)

message 33: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 77 comments Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuy..."

I have cuddly dogs and cats and the amazing thing is that they also cuddle with each other 😊

message 34: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments My dog and cats never did. But my cats did. My dog thought she was a cat though. lol.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "My dog and cats never did. But my cats did. My dog thought she was a cat though. lol."

Right now I have a 2 and 1/2 y/o cat, female, Maggie, that will cuddle "when she's in the mood" and not for very long, my other cat (the kitten in my avatar) is a male, long hair, Bailey, and he is a lover boy. He will sit on my lap and he still likes to "knead" me which does get annoying but oh well. It's funny that some cats don't "knead" after they've been weaned and others do :)

I also have seen through the years that cats personalities can change, some get more cuddlier when they get older :)

message 36: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 77 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "My dog and cats never did. But my cats did. My dog thought she was a cat though. lol."

Right now I have a 2 and 1/2 y/o cat, female, Maggie, that wi..."

At this time in our lives, our most cuddly cats are two 16 pounders...so very heavy and they like to knead holes in our chests...they are brothers and act more like dogs than cats. Very vocal, trot around after us all over the house, begging to be picked up and held (oh my aching back). So spoiled and lacking in cat dignity and snottiness. 😄

message 37: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "My dog and cats never did. But my cats did. My dog thought she was a cat though. lol."

Right now I have a 2 and 1/2 y/o cat, female, Maggie, that wi..."

It is weird how some still knead and some don't.

I had two cats. A male and a female. The female hated being picked up and cuddled but still loved petting and attention. She loved being brushed even when she had really bad arthritis.

The male was a cuddle monster. He loved to sit in your lap or be held. I took him outside that way sometimes. Just for a short walk before he got squirmy.

He was like 15 pounds though. He was a BIG boy. Maybe 20 pounds actually. I don't remember.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments marilyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "My dog and cats never did. But my cats did. My dog thought she was a cat though. lol."

Right now I have a 2 and ..."

ha ha, you're funny. I have my cats on a pretty strict diet, we measure and separate them or my boy would eat all of the other cats food, he just inhales it. He is almost 13 lbs and we don't want him to get any heavier. I know I had one cat who was about 16 lbs and once they gain it, it's really hard to lose.

Ha, I think my female definitely acts with more dignity, my little boy will beg for food. Poor guy he always thinks he's hungry. I put water in with his dry food so that he has to drink a lot of water to get his food, that slows him down a little and it's good for him :) My female is a browser which is really hard because she is asking for her food about 3 times a day and will only eat smallish amounts at a time.

I don't remember all of this drama when my 4 kids were around, maybe I didn't pay as much attention. All of our cats were loved and cuddled :)

message 39: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments My male was the same! He always looked like he was a bit stoned so we called it the munchies. lol.

message 40: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 77 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "marilyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "My dog and cats never did. But my cats did. My dog thought she was a cat though. lol."

Right now..."

You are so right about how hard it is to get a cat to lose weight. Both 16 lb brothers were feral adult rescues and weighed about 10-12 lbs when we rescued them. Then BC ballooned to 20 lbs and he was this big round blob. He'd be laying on the bed and just roll off onto the floor 😮 So we put him on a diet and got him down to 16 lbs and our vet is amazed that we managed that because it's hard to live with a dieting cat. 😜 His brother is just right at 16 but BC could stand to lose more but he's getting so little food at 16 lbs that we don't think we should feed him less.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "My male was the same! He always looked like he was a bit stoned so we called it the munchies. lol."

Ha, ha, that's great! My Bailey will get very anxious when it's almost dinner time, it's crazy. My last male liked his food a lot also :)

message 42: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Men and their food! lol. :P

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments marilyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "marilyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "My dog and cats never did. But my cats did. My dog thought sh..."

That's how I feel with my boy, I can't give him any less, he's just a big cat, very tall, when he stretches he can reach my kitchen counter and/or the light switch. He just discovered the light switch that he could flip off, crazy guy. My cats only get 1/2 cup of dry food a day with plenty of water and I don't think I can cut back on that. I feed them both the same but Maggie is 10 lbs and Bailey is almost 13 lbs! Love them like crazy and want to keep them healthy as I'm sure you do also :)

message 44: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 77 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "marilyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "marilyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "My dog and cats never did. But my cats did. M..."

I know Dorie! BC who is 16 lbs, down from 20 lbs, holds that weight on the same amount of food as my little 8 lb Feisty. No way do I feel like I should cut back on him more.

Love how long/tall your cat is...flipping light switches...so funny. One of my cats did his best to turn door knobs...he made it very clear when he wanted a door opened.

message 45: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovered after I could no longer knit because of my RA...."

I love Cavalier King Charles', they're so cute. My (English) husband wants to get an English Bulldog (because it's English) and name it Churchill, but they have such breathing problems and I hate supporting a breed that's been bred to the point they have - they can't even give birth naturally. So I'm trying to convince him a Cavalier King Charles is just as English!

message 46: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments You definitely should. But you should know that they also have some health issues. Heart problems being the most severe. :)

message 47: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "You definitely should. But you should know that they also have some health issues. Heart problems being the most severe. :)"

Yeah, I think all breeds come with some health risks, but breeding a dog to the point where they can't even give birth naturally is just totally messed up, if you ask me. Pugs are the same - they've basically been bred until the head was too large to fit through the birth canal. Also, if you buy from a reputable breeder, they should have all puppies checked for heart problems before selling them (especially if the bred is known for that).

It's entirely possible we'll just end up with a mutt/mixed breed from the Humane Society. The benefit of a full bred dog is knowing what kind of personality you'll get (I really couldn't deal with a super hyperactive dog) - but our Humane Society is really good at assessing dog's personalities and pairing people with dogs that have the right personality for them.

message 48: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments True. I still love Cavaliers. So cuddly.

I couldn't adopt a dog sadly. I'm fine adopting cats but I used to be afraid of dogs so I can only buy. I'm hoping that sometime in my life I'll be able to rescue a dog but who knows. :/

message 49: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Plante (bonnie_plante) | 2 comments Robin wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "I love quilting which I discovere..."

Robin - I have an English Bulldog. She is the sweetest! She has zero health problems. She'll be 7 in July. There are lots of bulldog rescues where you could get your husband the dog he wants without supporting irresponsible breeding.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 490 comments Robin wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "You definitely should. But you should know that they also have some health issues. Heart problems being the most severe. :)"

Yeah, I think all breed..."

All of my dogs as a child and all of our cats for 46 years have all been adopted from the Humane Society. There are so many wonderful pets just waiting for someone to love them, Truly I hate hearing about people buying pure bred animals. I have a friend who has bulldogs which all had sinus issues and other issues, every pure bred dog she has ever owned has had some kind of severe health issues. The breed doesn't necessarily guarantee that it will have that specific personality.

I fostered kittens for 8 years and it was all about how they were nurtured and raised. As Bonnie said people can also check with rescue societies for particular breeds. Sorry, ranting :(

« previous 1