Traditional Regency Romance Aficionados discussion

Introductions & Discussions > Recipe for a Regency Era Desert

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 15 comments Hi everyone!

When I was a teen or a very young adult, I bought a little Signet Regency by Catherine Coulter. This was not a “clean” read though. At that time, I didn’t know the book was a regency or what that meant. The detail about the time period and the fashion went over my head.

There is a scene where everyone is at the evening meal and mention is made of having “Trifle” for desert. Apparently, this is a desert from the time period. Here is the recipe and I don’t think I’d enjoy eating this:

http://cookit.e2bn.org/historycookboo...

message 2: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 48 comments Here's a trifle recipe from Jane Austen's friend Martha Lloyd and a more modern adaptation.

There are some great Jane Austen cookbooks out there with period inspired recipes. I really liked

Cooking with Jane Austen and Friends

I want the new one Dining with Jane Austen but it's expensive.

Some others include

Dinner with Mr. Darcy: Recipes inspired by the novels of Jane Austen

The Jane Austen Cookbook

For children or those who are culinary challenged try the fool, a more simple cousin of the trifle
A Fine Dessert: Four Centuries, Four Families, One Delicious Treat

The Jane Austen Centre recipes

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 15 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "Here's a trifle recipe from Jane Austen's friend Martha Lloyd and a more modern adaptation.

There are some great Jane Austen cookbooks out there with period inspired recipes. I really liked

[book..."

I'm going to check to see if my public library has any of these cook books.

It would be fun to see what people ate back then.

I am probably not a good enough cook to try my hand at these recipes. I'm such a bad cook, that a lot of cooking terminology that is used in cookbooks is unfamiliar to me.