Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Swans of Fifth Avenue: 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin

The Swans of Fifth Avenue, Melanie Benjamin

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes, this book covered quite a bit of Family Drama & the "Swans" were sisters/family to each other in a manner of speaking, but I'm not going to place this review there...

Definitely a compelling read, I couldn't get enough of the story, the women, their lives...

This book is well written and certainly spellbinding, taking a close look at high society life of the 1930's through its decline in the 1970's, and I didn't want to put it down.

This is the fictionalized true story of Barbara "Babe" Paley, Gloria Guinness, Slim Kieth, Marella Agnelli, C.Z. Guest, & Pamela Churchill Harrington and their relationship w/ Truman Capote; as well his relationship with Babe's husband, Bill Paley (CBS), & Jack Dunphy (Truman's long-time companion).

The dialog is fictionalized, but the settings, people, certain events actually happened....

From the high beginnings it was obvious that there would be a crash & burn; that friendships would be betrayed & broken; that Truman Capote was a human disaster in the making...

Capote's downward spiral & his vileness was perfectly portrayed as was the life of Babe Paley. One could not help but admire & care about Babe as a person, fictionalized or not; nor could one help but despise the twisted little Capote.

The last lyrical paragraphs of the book which portray a dream of graceful swans swimming off into the distance radiance, leaving behind the one who could never truly be one, was the perfect ending.

I remember watching Truman Capote on t.v. in the late 70's, I didn't care for him or his vicious nastiness much, I did however like his book: "Music for Chameleons" which I own a copy of.

This book has peaked my curiosity to the point that I have put two other books on hold: "Sisters" by David Grafton; "Slim: Memories of a Rich and Imperfect Life" by Slim Keith & "Party of the Century" by Deborah Davis

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6381 comments Great points about Truman. I really liked this one, too.