Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > August's Book of the Month - Cry No More

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Fueled by an obsession to fill the void in other people’s lives, Milla Edge finds lost children—all the while trying to outrun the brutal emotions stemming from a tragedy in her past. Traveling to a small village in Mexico on a reliable tip, Milla begins to uncover the dire fate of countless children who have disappeared in the labyrinth of a sinister baby-smuggling ring. The key to nailing down the organization may rest with an elusive one-eyed man. As Milla’s search for him intensifies, the mission becomes more treacherous. For the ring is part of something far larger and more dangerous, reaching the highest echelons of power. Racing into peril, Milla suddenly finds herself the hunted—in the crosshairs of an invisible, lethal assassin who aims to silence her permanently.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I know that some of you have talked about how hard it is to read about baby abductions, and I agree, but in this case I like how Milla is searching for the baby abductors. I mean if someone has a child that was kidnapped wouldn't you be so grateful for someone who specializes if finding him or her?

message 3: by Eve (last edited Jul 30, 2014 11:26AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I really admired Milla - the way she had devoted her life to searching not only for her child but for other lost ones, too, and thus producing happy endings for others in the process. At the beginning Milla's life seemed so beautiful - new baby, loving husband but then all of a sudden she finds herself in living hell...
I'm sure that I'm going to enjoy reading it again.
And for those who have not read this book before: yes, its hard reading but at least this book has an happy ending. But grab a box of tissues just in case.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments IMO it wasn't nearly as hard of reading as some of the authors I have read.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Make sure you all go to the store and get some tissues/Kleenex before you start this!

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I plan to listen to the audiobook this month. Will keep tissues nearby:)

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Dee, if you edit the topic here and type in the book name in the section "this topic is about", the book will appear. Select it and our ratings will appear as well as show this discussion on the book's page.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Thanks Jonetta, since I wasn't the one to put up the book of the month at the top of the group home page can you tell me how do you do that?

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) My instructions are for this topic. You opened it and can showcase the book image in the heading.

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I've set this book up on the home page for you.

In the future, go to your bookshelf, search for the book and then change the shelf to "currently reading." Then indicate the time frame you'll be reading the book using the selection options provided. Voila! It shows on your home page.

Test one out as an example.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Make sure you all go to the store and get some tissues/Kleenex before you start this!"

Thanks for the warning. I just put Kleenex on the shopping list.

Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘  (codegal) Oh, I really enjoyed this one. Can't wait to re-read!

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ So many great LH books, but this is a definite favorite!!

message 14: by Dee (last edited Aug 04, 2014 10:30PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments We know that this is about a child kidnapping, my question how would you have handled finding your son/daughter? Would you do like Milla and David (not going to say how they reacted) or would you do differently?

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Anita and Kathy Anne I am so glad you nominated Cry No More and I am so thankful that the rest of the Junkies voted for this book. It is so good I don't want to put it down.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I understand being put off by a child kidnapping and the years of searching for the child. Frankly, I was too, but to me this book isn't focused on the kidnapping so much as Milla rising above the tragedy of losing her baby and creating something so great (Finders Inc) that helps other people find their loved ones.

message 17: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments The last part of the book is just fabulous-I`ll never quit wishing for a guy just like this super duper hero after reading the last part.

message 18: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments The book was really good from the beginning but the last part of the book was indeed fabulous...and so unexpected. But I think that Milla and David made the right decision. Hard and perhaps unfair but Milla didn't want the other couple to suffer like she had and at least she now had the knowledge that her son was alive and healthy (at first she was uncertain whether he was alive or not) and that mattered the most for her.
I was so mad at Diaz when he destroyed the papers but I understood his fears also. And he took good care of Milla when she needed help most.
The ending of this book...marvelous.

message 19: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Dee wrote: "We know that this is about a child kidnapping, my question how would you have handled finding your son/daughter? Would you do like Milla and David (not going to say how they reacted) or would you ..."

I would like to think I'd do as they did but I am selfish and I would do the opposite, I'm sure.

message 20: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments The way Diaz took care of her when she would lose it was way above what most people would do-that man is something else.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Dee wrote: "We know that this is about a child kidnapping, my question how would you have handled finding your son/daughter? Would you do like Milla and David (not going to say how they reacted) o..."

I think if I was in Milla's position I would not contest the adoption, but I would want to continue to have some sort of communication with them. Perhaps, seeing Zack/Justin once in awhile. I might not let him know who I am, but as he is growing up I would want to establish a relationship.
I know from experience that not having a relationship while they are young, you probably won't have a really great one when they get older.

I also loved the way Diaz took of Milla after she gave up her son. I can only imagine what she was going through. Finding out her "good friend" was responsible for her losing her son, then both True (also a "friend and potential lover" and Susana were working to misdirect her from finding her son, thus forcing her to make the decision she had to make. That had to be like being in an almost fatal car crash.

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments When I nominated this book for Book of the Month, I didn't know what it was about. I didn't read the blurb or any reviews. I had the book and we hadn't done a group read. When I realized this was about a child abduction I almost didn't read it. I've read a lot of human trafficking theme books lately and didn't want to read another about humans being nothing more than property (even with happy endings). Then I realized that this was a Linda Howard book and she is a truly special author. I'm glad I read it. The depth of Milla's character, her anguish and depression were so real, I really did need that box of Kleenex.

I agree with Pamela, I wouldn't have been able to just sign Justin over and walk out of his life without having any contact with him, only praying that someday he would want to see me.

message 23: by Eve (last edited Aug 10, 2014 11:05AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Yes, Linda Howard is truly special author. I've read books with similar theme before...but they did not touch me. The same plot by LH and I was captivated by Milla and Diaz. Although I've already read this book before I was still sheding tears while reading Milla's (imo totally crazy&unexpected) decision and when she had her son finally on her doorstep...well, more tears.

BTW: Where you dissapointed that Milla's marriage did not survive and her husband married someone else?

message 24: by Dee (last edited Aug 10, 2014 03:22PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Although I loved the Diaz character, truthfully I wished Milla and David would have stayed together. I understand that the book would have had to be changed some, but I think it would have added more depth to their characters.

I hate it when marriages break up, unless of course the husband (or wife) is a b***stard.

message 25: by Dee (last edited Aug 10, 2014 03:21PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Anita wrote: "When I nominated this book for Book of the Month, I didn't know what it was about. I didn't read the blurb or any reviews. I had the book and we hadn't done a group read. When I realized this wa..."

Would you have let them keep him with the ability to be in his life or would you have wanted him back?

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments I think I would have let them keep him as long as I could have had a place in his life. I don't any of us really know what we would do in that situation.

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I so agree with you on both counts. If I really loved my son wanting what was best for him, I can't see uprooting him and forcing him in my family, someone he doesn't know from Adam, but I COULD NOT just never see him again.

I also have no idea what I would really do.

Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘  (codegal) Ah, finally finished reading this. Absolutely loved it and really loved how mindful Diaz was of Milla at the end. The thought of that bad-ass browsing a garage sale for new dishes really funny.

@Eve ~ I wasn't too disappointed that their marriage dissolved, I thought it was very real. I can't imagine the stress a marriage undergoes in that kinda situation. I will say that, I was glad that David and Milla stayed amicable. I would have been severely disappointed if they had become hurtful towards each other.

message 29: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments To be honest I wasn't also too dissapointed that David's and Milla's marriage broke up. IMO Milla was different person after the kidnapping. But I liked the way David aided her financially, so she could concentrate on searching their son and helping other people. Loved the poignant scene when Milla told David about their son.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Although I understand why David and Milla's marriage broke up, I guess I would have liked David and Milla to have their HEA. I understand they did in their own fashion and after several years of searching for it to me it would have been more poignant if they had stayed together.

In my own family, I have seen so many divorces for stuff that never even came close to the trauma that David and Milla had. I don't think I really thought much about it, then there have been couple of times when a marriage was challenged by the loss of a child (one where the father felt like he was at fault) the parents did manage to stay together. This gave me a whole other outlook about trying to make a marriage work. I grant you having their marriage dissolve was very realistic, but....

I am also glad that if they had to have their marriage break up I loved how they did remain friends.

message 31: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I remember that when I was first reading Cry No More, then I was hoping that Milla and David get back together. But David married another woman and started a family with her, so it was like betraying Milla (what of for Better or Worse vows?!).
So it was a good thing that Milla met Diaz and their love story was very touching. I want to believe that Diaz would have stayed next to Milla if something like this had happened to them.

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I'm just starting this audiobook and will join the discussion when done.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Sounds good, Jonetta.

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Eve wrote: "I remember that when I was first reading Cry No More, then I was hoping that Milla and David get back together. But David married another woman and started a family with her, so it was like betrayi..."

I would like to think so.

message 35: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments David had to work and couldn`t have the same tunnel vision Milla did and she treated him like he didn`t exist for too long.
Diaz was there for different reasons-this was his job and his focus was what she wanted,and he not only hung in there but when she freaked out there at the beach and other times he went way above the call of duty.I`d just like to know where they keep guys like Diaz hidden, I`ll take 3 of them..

message 36: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Dee wrote: "We know that this is about a child kidnapping, my question how would you have handled finding your son/daughter? Would you do like Milla and David (not going to say how they reacted) or would you ..."

I don't believe I could ever stop searching for my child. How could you not look at every child you encountered that looked similarly to yourself or husband and not wonder. I also understand David's point of view, too, and think it's just different for mothers.

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Eve wrote: "The book was really good from the beginning but the last part of the book was indeed fabulous...and so unexpected. But I think that Milla and David made the right decision. Hard and perhaps unfair ..."

I think the way that Milla and David handled it in the end was by putting the child first. It was completely unselfish and in the end, the child won. It would be hard but I'm sure I would have done the same.

message 38: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Eve wrote: "To be honest I wasn't also too dissapointed that David's and Milla's marriage broke up. IMO Milla was different person after the kidnapping. But I liked the way David aided her financially, so she ..."

Agree completely. David was ready to move on and Milla wasn't. It was clear he still loved her. I remember at the end he said he looked at her and she was just fierce! He didn't feel worthy of her.

message 39: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Was anyone else bugged that we didn't get to see Tru and Susanna get arrested and confronted by Milla, especially Susanna? I thought she was pretty awful.

message 40: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments I sure was! If I had been Milla, I would have left her broken and bleeding if given half a chance. To think that this woman had acted as a friend all those years is disgusting. It was evil.

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) It takes a pretty cold person to pull that off for ten years. She was a sociopath. Her poor husband, Rob. Wonder what happened to him.

message 42: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments I hope he divorced her evil ass and found a wonderful, honest woman.

message 43: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Me, too. I was really nervous when I thought Parvone was getting ready to shoot him. Go Diaz!!!

message 44: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Kalthoff (wkalthoff) | 132 comments i fell in love with the second part of this book. I cried when she gave up her son after all these years. Had tears in my eyes when justin finally looked for her. milla was a brave woman and passoinate as well.

message 45: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Kalthoff (wkalthoff) | 132 comments It is a very delicate subject, kidnapping of a womans son, though it is fiction, I can see it really happeneing.

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Jonetta wrote: "Was anyone else bugged that we didn't get to see Tru and Susanna get arrested and confronted by Milla, especially Susanna? I thought she was pretty awful."

I am not a person that usually wants to torture people, even if they deserve it. Well there is exceptions to every rule. This would be one. After I got done taking strips of skin off of them, especially Susana, and maybe hanging them to a flag pole and using them as lightning rods then I would turn them over to the police.

message 47: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) LOL! Like your style, Dee! After over 10 years of "friendship," this woman is still smug about having stolen Milla's baby and feels absolutely no remorse or guilt about it. At least Tru was just a greedy SOB. Then Susanna tries to set them up! I wanted to see her fry and Howard should have given us that:)

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments She really should have. Thank God, Milla DID NOT get involved with Tru. That would have been a nightmare!

message 49: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 30, 2014 05:14AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) She relied on her instincts, even under a lot of pressure. Kudos to her.

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Big Kudos.