Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Kovacic, Katherine ; The Portrait of Molly Dean ; Informal Buddy Read ; Start date May 23, 2018

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod

Synopsis
An unsolved murder comes to light after almost seventy years...

In 1999, art dealer Alex Clayton stumbles across a lost portrait of Molly Dean, an artist's muse brutally slain in Melbourne in 1930. Alex buys the painting and sets out to uncover more details, but finds there are strange inconsistencies: Molly's mother seemed unconcerned by her daughter's violent death, the main suspect was never brought to trial despite compelling evidence, and vital records are missing. Alex enlists the help of her close friend, art conservator John Porter, and together they sift through the clues and deceptions that swirl around the last days of Molly Dean

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14780 comments Mod
I requested & received this from NetGalley as I really liked the cover (I know), but also the synopsis.

Then in the paper I saw this article and it really has me intrigued.

Can't wait to start :)

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

How about a start date of May 23?

message 6: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3350 comments That works for me! :)

message 7: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3350 comments Thanks for the article! Good review.

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Great!

Yes it was really interesting. I love fiction based on real facts that I’ve never heard of 😉

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited May 21, 2018 01:20AM) (new)

I started a bit early ;)

I'm up to 22%, so just finished the 1930 section that ends
"He gave ger a wriy smile. 'Letter's on the hall table.'

Initial thoughts:
(view spoiler)
Enjoying it all so far and looking forward to some more info!

message 10: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3350 comments Oh! I had started another book while I was waiting, but I'll put it aside and start this one tonight. I'll be a bit behind.

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited May 21, 2018 05:09AM) (new)

No worries! I kind of read when I have a spare moment and I had some time today waiting for a client meeting :)

I'll switch to Count of Monte Cristo now before I continue on so I can wait for you to get to the same spot xD

message 12: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3350 comments So real life got in the way today and I only made it to 8%. I'll try to make more progress during the day tomorrow. Looking forward to reading your spoiler! Just leaving Alex now and heading to 1930 in the morning.

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

I’ll probably read a bit more tomorrow. I’ll use spoiler tags though 😎

message 14: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3350 comments Ah! Sorry, I've been such a bad buddy. Life has been a bit hectic. I have made it to 22% though and plan to read more this evening.

re your spoiler (view spoiler)

message 15: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3350 comments 36% (view spoiler)

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Kristie wrote: "36% I wonder who..."

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

I'm up to 70% in 1999 finishing with "Just glad I've got a ringside seat for the next bit"

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Kristie (last edited May 24, 2018 03:44PM) (new)

Kristie | 3350 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "I'm up to 70% in 1999 finishing with "Just glad I've got a ringside seat for the next bit"

[spoilers removed]

Oh geez! I won't get that far tonight! lol I'll probably get there in a couple days.

message 19: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3350 comments How are you liking it in general?

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

lol

I'm finding it a really easy read (especially compared to my other book right now... The Count of Monte Cristo! I think that is why I was able to easily read quite a chunk.

I really like Alex and her friendship with John.

I'm still not feeling much towards Molly - either way. Maybe she hasn't had as much time in the book... I'm not sure. I'm just not really feeling like I have a hold on her character

message 21: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3350 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "I'm up to 70% in 1999 finishing with "Just glad I've got a ringside seat for the next bit"

[spoilers removed]"

I had the same thoughts you had! (view spoiler)

message 22: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Murphy (tiffers919) | 102 comments I read this a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it.

message 23: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

I should have read it months ago... I've not been a very good reviewer with my NetGalley books! lol

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

@Kristie

Yes, exactly. This felt like a plot device to me rather than a believable account of what Alex would do. It just didn't match her character? She is an art dealer, .... it's not like she is Jack Reacher. lol!

The ending
So I finished and it was an easy read.
(view spoiler)

I did enjoy the book and 3.5 stars and would read more of her work. This was a debut novel, after all.

What did you think Kristie?

message 25: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3350 comments I agree. I'm at about 93% and am hoping to finish tonight. I felt the same way when she (view spoiler) Even she seemed to be stretching to come up with a reasonable way to explain her own behavior at times. I don't think a rational person would do something like that. So, it definitely felt like a plot device.

I'm around the same rating as you right now unless something very different happens in the last 7%. I'm thinking 3.5. I'll probably round down to 3 for stars. I'm enjoying it, but I don't think it's anything really special. It's certainly good for a debut and I'd also try more of her work in the future though I wouldn't seek it out necessarily.

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Funny how the editors either don't agree or are ok with just allowing such an obvious plot device? I wonder how they decide what to change and what to leave?