Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Illustrated Man
This topic is about The Illustrated Man
The Illustrated Man discussion > "The Long Rain" by Ray Bradbury

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is our discussion of the short story....

" The Long Rain " by Ray Bradbury

From the anthology The Illustrated Man collection by Ray Bradbury. See The Illustrated Man anthology discussion hub for more info on the anthology and pointers to discussion of its other stories.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited May 14, 2018 07:25AM) (new)

An old 1950s view of Venus as a rainy jungle planet. A sort of inverse of the guys wandering in desert looking for an oasis, with dry wells and mirage, as guys walk around lost looking for a way to get out of the unrelenting rain. A survival story that drives men to madness. As in "Kaleidoscope," when the going gets tough, the tough get crazy.

This is one of the 4 stories include in the 1969 movie adaptation.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Bill Watterson said it best: "Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book."

As for the story, I thought it was OK but I bet it felt prescient to soldiers in Vietnam a couple decades later. It reminded me of the Vietnam scene in the movie Forrest Gump where it rained for weeks on end.

"One day it started raining and it didnt quit for 4 months. We've been through every kind of rain there is: a little bit of stinging rain, and big ol' fat rain; rain that flew in sideways, and sometimes rain seemed to come straight up from underneath... This one day we was out walkin' like always, and then - just like that - somebody turned off the rain and the sun come out."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ihL...

Donald | 157 comments I really enjoyed this one. It felt like it could've done with a bit of fleshing out (probably because it is a short story) but I found the setting and scenes really vivid and the traditional style "quest" narrative worked well enough.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Donald wrote: "I really enjoyed this one. It felt like it could've done with a bit of fleshing out (probably because it is a short story) but I found the setting and scenes really vivid and the traditional style ..."

I think what bothered me about this one was how everyone went bonkers. Part of that is Bradbury writing in 1951. What we found in 1963 is that astronauts are steely-eyed rock men; the Right Stuff. They're cool under pressure. It's hard to imagine any astronaut going bonkers like 2 of the 3 do here. Bradbury has characters made of lesser stuff. These guys go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel (to quote Douglas Adams.)

Donald | 157 comments The impression I got was that astronauts were sufficiently common that effectively anyone could be one - they're talking hundreds of Sun Domes on the planet, for example. That was also a pretty common motif across many of the stories, where space travel has become passe enough for many thousands of people to have left Earth for other planets.

Once you get high enough numbers of a particular job, there will be issues simply by statistics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak for a real life example).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Illustrated Man (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ray Bradbury (other topics)