Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Illustrated Man
This topic is about The Illustrated Man
The Illustrated Man discussion > "The Illustrated Man" (short short) by Ray Bradbury

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 10, 2018 07:22PM) (new)

This is our discussion of the short story....

" The Illustrated Man " (short story) by Ray Bradbury

From the anthology The Illustrated Man collection by Ray Bradbury. See The Illustrated Man anthology discussion hub for more info on the anthology and pointers to discussion of its other stories.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited May 23, 2018 07:43PM) (new)

This is the story of how an Illustrated Man got his tattoos. It's sufficiently similar to the bracket story begun in the Prologue that it could, perhaps, be the same character,... or not. Same old lady, but no "Skin Illustrations" sign (mentioned), and he may have lost some weight.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) It was interesting to have this story end the collection, which reset the prologue story to suggest that the Illustrated Man is now a supernatural apparition. Yet another horror convention that bleeds over into the SF/F genre. :-)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Randy wrote: "It was interesting to have this story end the collection, which reset the prologue story to suggest that the Illustrated Man is now a supernatural apparition. Yet another horror convention that ble..."

It was the differences between the prolog and this short story that surprised me, left me wondering if there was more than one.

message 5: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2801 comments I'm pretty sure there's more than one, don't think the one in the prolog was described as obese. Also, this illustrated man didn't wander around because he was killed by the other carnival freaks and the original one described how he had gotten his tattoos when he was young.

Seems the old lady keeps busy making new Illustrated Men from time to time.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Illustrated Man (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ray Bradbury (other topics)