Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Illustrated Man
This topic is about The Illustrated Man
Book Discussions > The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 10, 2018 07:24PM) (new)

This is our discussion hub of the short story anthology...

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury The Illustrated Man collection by Ray Bradbury

Please comment of each individual story in it's own topic in The Illustrated Man discussion folder (Links to each story's topic in the Table of Content below.) You can use this topic for general discussions of the anthology as a whole.

CONTENT

"Prologue: The Illustrated Man" by Ray Bradbury
"The Veldt" by Ray Bradbury
"Kaleidoscope" by Ray Bradbury
"The Other Foot" by Ray Bradbury
"The Highway" by Ray Bradbury
"The Man" by Ray Bradbury
"The Long Rain" by Ray Bradbury
"The Rocket Man" by Ray Bradbury
"The Last Night of the World" by Ray Bradbury
"The Exiles" by Ray Bradbury
"No Particular Night or Morning" by Ray Bradbury
"The Fox and the Forest" by Ray Bradbury
"The Visitor" by Ray Bradbury
"The Concrete Mixer" by Ray Bradbury
"Marionettes, Inc." by Ray Bradbury
"The City" by Ray Bradbury
"Zero Hour" by Ray Bradbury
"The Rocket" by Ray Bradbury
"The Illustrated Man" by Ray Bradbury
"Epilogue: The Illustrated Man" by Ray Bradbury

Please comment of each individual story in it's own topic in The Illustrated Man discussion folder (Links to each story's topic in the Table of Content below.) You can use this topic for general discussions of the anthology as a whole.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited May 11, 2018 07:25AM) (new)

By the way, this anthology was partially adapted into a theatrical movie in 1969, including the Prologue/Epilogue, "The Veld", "The Long Rain" and "The Last Night of the World". Rod Steiger played the titular Illustrated Man, and Claire Bloom his unlucky viewer/listener (they played multiple roles, staring in all the futuristic stories as well.)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I started a couple days ago. I'm through the first story so far. I'm going to try to finish the collection by the end of the month.

message 4: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2803 comments Just started yesterday, interesting way all the stories are unrelated but still tie in together.

Donald | 157 comments Ok, this did my head in but I've finally pinned down my issues...

Different versions of this book have different collections of stories.

The version from my library (The Illustrated Man) had The Rocket much earlier in the order, but more confusingly it replaced The Rocket Man, The Exiles, The Concrete Mixer and The Illustrated Man with Usher II and The Playground.

That seems like a really strange decision to make, especially on a collection that has been around for years (and published in his lifetime).

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 20, 2018 05:32AM) (new)

Donald wrote: "The version from my library (The Illustrated Man) ... confusingly replaced The Rocket Man, The Exiles, The Concrete Mixer and The Illustrated Man with Usher II and The Playground.
That seems like a really strange decision to make, especially on a collection that has been around for years (and published in his lifetime)..."

When I was assembling the Table of Content, I noticed there are several versions of the collection with different stories for some reason.

"Usher II" appears in The Martian Chronicles, and "The Playground" was excised from an early edition of Fahrenheit 451. Those seem to be unique to older versions from British/Canadian publisher Hart-Davis/McGibbons, so it may have something to do with publication rights in the UK (possibly a the omitted stories were previously sold to a UK publication which tied up the UK/Canadian right.)

There are also many editions with the story "The Fire Balloons". That also appeared in The Martian Chronicles.

(There are also several different abridged audiobook editions from the cassette era. I assumed no one was still listening to cassettes. :)

Donald | 157 comments UK publication rights sounds strongly plausible as I'm reading in Australia, which is generally lumped in with the UK for publishers.

message 8: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2803 comments Guess I got lucky and got a version that matched the set of stories setup for the group discussion

Eventually I'll get around to re-nominating The Martian Chronicles, but we got our Bradbury fix so will be at earliest some time next year.