101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > June 2018 nominations

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
Please post your nominations for our June read from our list of 101 books to read.

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene | 1545 comments An Instance of the Fingerpost by Ian Pears

message 3: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix | 46 comments So is this the book we will be reading for June?

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike Phoenix wrote: "So is this the book we will be reading for June?"

As it is the only nomination, it will be June's read. In July we will seek other award winning books outside of the 101 list.

message 5: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix | 46 comments OK, cool. Why are we doing books outside the 101 list when there are so many left on the list?

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene | 1545 comments Phoenix wrote: "OK, cool. Why are we doing books outside the 101 list when there are so many left on the list?"

Because energy around the titles on that list was slackening. As you can see from our current book discussion, we have only 3 posts and of those, only one has read it. Expanding to other award-winning books was an attempt to gain greater participation by the members.

message 7: by Leslie (last edited May 30, 2018 08:22AM) (new)

Leslie | 21 comments My library's copy of the current selection is out. :-( But, I'm reading it when possible.

How about The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

message 8: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix | 46 comments Ok... I don’t know if I really want to participate in reading other books, as the 101 list was the reason I joined this group. I may just continue on with the list myself. There are lots of other groups reading award winning books.

message 9: by Irene (new)

Irene | 1545 comments Leslie, I don't think your nomination is on this list. The june book is supposed to be from the list.

message 10: by Leslie (last edited May 30, 2018 08:28AM) (new)

Leslie | 21 comments Irene wrote: "Leslie, I don't think your nomination is on this list. The june book is supposed to be from the list."

Fixed. I also support the list. It was what appealed to me, but I joined you late into it. We probably just need a fresh 101 list.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene | 1545 comments Leslie and Phoenix, Your input about reading off the list or expanding the current list, etc. is valuable. There is a thread where this was discussed last year. I hope you will add your thoughts to that thread. I fear that these valuable thoughts might not be seen in this nomination thread. I also joined after the list was formed. There are a number of remaining titles that don't seem to be generating much energy. So the question was asked if we should either remove some titles from the list, expand the list or alternate this list with a larger pool of titles. Although my vote was not to select from a larger population of award winners (like you Phoenix, I am in another group that reads from award winning lists) this was the decision after lots of thought. But, if I remember correctly, this was adapted as a trial schedule. So, if it is not what the members want, I think there is room to adjust. I think our mod at the time, was trying to figure out how to best meet the desires of the members and increase participation. Thanks for being part of the conversation that is trying to make this group the best it can be.

message 12: by Alana (new)

Thanks for your input everyone! Indeed, participation had slackened somewhat, either due to life business (in my case) or to lack of interest in some of the title, either because many of our members have already read them (Mike, I believe, has read nearly, if not all, of them) or because some of the titles just aren't as interesting to some members. I agree with you, I want to read (almost) all of the titles on the original list eventually, but to keep up interest, I decided to intersperse some other book selections in between, to keep up interest. I'll pop into the other thread to see what you all have discussed there as well. Thanks for your interest!

message 13: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix | 46 comments Didn’t this 101 list come from a 1001 list originally? Why not just pick some appealing titles from the larger list?

message 14: by Alana (new)

I think it's some list a magazine or someone had compiled at one point. Some of the books aren't on the Boxall's list, if that's the one you're meaning, but I think most of them are, or at least most of the authors.

I'm not opposed to creating our own list, even if we're taking titles from the Boxall's list: we could all nominate a few books that we especially like or would be most interested in reading (rather than an overwhelming number like 1001, which is why I liked this group to begin with, as you said!)

message 15: by Mike (new)

Mike Irene wrote: "Leslie, I don't think your nomination is on this list. The june book is supposed to be from the list."

The Unbearable Lightness of Being is indeed on the list but we are a little too late to get a poll finished for June.

message 16: by Mike (new)

Mike Folks; I would simply suggest if you have books from the list you wish to read, please feel free to nominate them at any time. Meanwhile we will also, on occasion, seek outside award winning nominations to help keep the interest fresh. We have read 60/101 and my personal opinion is there are a few stinkers left that aren't worthwhile.

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene | 1545 comments Mike, my comment was about an earlier nomination from Leslie. After my post, she edited her comment and replaced her original suggestion with one from the list. I do know that this one is on our list. Sorry about the confusion.

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 21 comments Mike wrote: "Folks; I would simply suggest if you have books from the list you wish to read, please feel free to nominate them at any time. Meanwhile we will also, on occasion, seek outside award winning nomina..."

Are you saying no poll or are you saying you are not accepting my nomination which was entered on time? It was fixed immediately.

message 19: by Alana (new)

We're going to go ahead with An Instance of the Fingerpost just because we didn't get any other new nominations until right at the end of May (so no time for a poll), but we can certainly keep Unbearable Lightness as a suggestion for July (I ran across it at a yard sale today actually!) and go ahead and get those nominations started! :-) That's one I've really been wanting to read, anyway.

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 21 comments Ok, cool.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Unbearable Lightness of Being (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Milan Kundera (other topics)