SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Sci-Fi that Grabs You

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob | 2 comments I need a recommendation on a sci-fi book that grabs you at page 1 & won’t let you put it down. I’m in serious need of some escapism right now, but (because of the issues I’m seeking to escape) I’m having a hard time picking one from the many on my shelves. Space opera & hard sci-fi are my preferences, but I’m open to all. Suggestions?

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 314 comments What about Pushing Ice? Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds

message 3: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
My go to would be The Collapsing Empire. Intense but not in a way that is likely to feel too close to home. Laugh out loud bits, high drama, delightful characters and a big "oh shit" from the gate. Definite space opera.

If you haven't read it, Ninefox Gambit starts weird and gets great. Come for the bananas magic/science system, stay for the wacky plotting.

Hope everything works out for you!!

message 4: by David (new)

David Holmes | 474 comments You say you like hard sci-fi, and Seveneves is on your to-read list, so that's what I'd jump to.

It's a love-it-or-hate-it sort of book, but your shelves suggest you like Stephenson, so... It's probably his hard-sci-fi-est book, and his most intense book that I've read.

message 5: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 741 comments I would second SEVENEVES. Hard to imagine a more thrilling beginning than the explosion of the Moon!

I would also say that LEVIATHAN WAKES (Expanse #1) is pretty thrilling.

And ANCILLARY JUSTICE starts off pretty quickly but then slows down.

I think Reynolds is the master of the slow intense build.

Richard K. Morgan’s ALTERED CARBON starts pretty quickly too...

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Lots of good books mentioned and I would add Ian McDonald's fantastic New Moon which is basically game of thrones on the moon. Fantastic worldbuilding, tech and characters, it's raw, gritty and just fun.

message 7: by Don (new)

Don Dunham 1) A Choice of Treasons. 2) Poor Man's Fight. 3) I Am Pilgrim. 4) Orphan X. 5) Red Country.... here you go, a couple Space Operas, a couple thrillers and grim dark fantasy.

message 8: by Don (new)

Don Dunham Sometimes a body is ready for a genre change but the mind don't know it.... and now for something completely different !
"News of the World" and "Trustee from the tool room".

message 9: by Don (new)

Don Dunham don't worry about me, I've been Nope'd before.

message 10: by Sedat (new)

Sedat Yıldız | 73 comments Not a hard sci fi but I was hooked to Dark Matter just from the explanation of the book :)

message 11: by Leticia (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) Not exactly sci-fi but going into YA/space opera The Diabolic (The Diabolic, #1) by S.J. Kincaid

message 12: by Udayan (new)

Udayan | 62 comments Among the recent ones I have read, Children of Time had this effect on me. So recommending that.

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike David wrote: "You say you like hard sci-fi, and Seveneves is on your to-read list, so that's what I'd jump to.

It's a love-it-or-hate-it sort of book, but your shelves suggest you like Stephenso..."

I agree with every inch of this.

I can’t think of another recent book that started off with such a massive hook as Seveneves first line: “The moon blew up without warning and for no apparent reason.”

Wow.

I ended up closer to the “hate it” end of the spectrum mostly because even at nearly 900 pages it felt too short for all the ideas it presented, and I just didn’t buy into some of the assumptions he made. But man, that hook.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael | 153 comments If you don't mind something a little older, you might the The Integral Trees by Larry Niven.

message 15: by Rob (new)

Rob | 2 comments Thanks for all of the suggestions! I’ve already read a few & will be adding several to my list. I think I’ll be going with Children of Time. It’s been staring at me from my bookshelf for a while, now...

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1323 comments Children of Time really is a great read

message 17: by Don (new)

Don Dunham "Children of Time" good choice. it is unique.

message 18: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 741 comments Agreed CHILDREN OF TIME is pretty stunning.

message 19: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments I had a hard time with that book because of (view spoiler)

message 20: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1972 comments Some good choices I am going to add:
We Are Legion (We Are Bob)
We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse, #1) by Dennis E. Taylor

message 21: by Gus (new)

Gus V. | 3 comments Most of my life I have read non-fiction, but I have had some interest in sci fi books, movies and TV shows. As for sci fi books, I have a taste for some of the classics, such as:

War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
1984 by George Orwell
I Robot by Isaac Asimov
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellehartline) | 1776 comments Have you already read the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold? That's a favorite series of mine to get lost in.

message 23: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) I would second The collapsing empire if you like space opera.

message 24: by Time (new)

Time | 28 comments Double Star by Robert A. Heinlein and Battle for the Stars
by Edmond Hamilton open pretty strong, pure simple escapism.