Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Perfect Mother
This topic is about The Perfect Mother
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Molloy, Aimee--The Perfect Mother Informal Buddy Read starts June 6, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy.

Synopsis
Vanity Fair calls it one of the most anticipated books of the summer. Soon to be a major motion picture starring Scandal's Kerry Washington.

An addictive psychological thriller about a group of women whose lives become unexpectedly connected when one of their newborns goes missing.

They call themselves the May Mothers—a collection of new moms who gave birth in the same month. Twice a week, with strollers in tow, they get together in Prospect Park, seeking refuge from the isolation of new motherhood; sharing the fears, joys, and anxieties of their new child-centered lives.

When the group’s members agree to meet for drinks at a hip local bar, they have in mind a casual evening of fun, a brief break from their daily routine. But on this sultry Fourth of July night during the hottest summer in Brooklyn’s history, something goes terrifyingly wrong: one of the babies is abducted from his crib. Winnie, a single mom, was reluctant to leave six-week-old Midas with a babysitter, but the May Mothers insisted that everything would be fine. Now Midas is missing, the police are asking disturbing questions, and Winnie’s very private life has become fodder for a ravenous media.

Though none of the other members in the group are close to the reserved Winnie, three of them will go to increasingly risky lengths to help her find her son. And as the police bungle the investigation and the media begin to scrutinize the mothers in the days that follow, damaging secrets are exposed, marriages are tested, and friendships are formed and fractured.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Res

Geri | 2042 comments Posting so I can check in on the thread. See everyone on June 6.

Laura | 9707 comments Me too!
HI Geri!

Vicki Willis | 404 comments Am here too.

Brooke | 1199 comments I’m in. I’ll be back in a few weeks!

Chava | 1386 comments I have this one high on my TBR list, I'm in too.
I've never done a buddy read before, how does it work?

message 9: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited May 19, 2018 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4701 comments I'm in. This one sounds fascinating.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4701 comments Chava wrote: "I have this one high on my TBR list, I'm in too.
I've never done a buddy read before, how does it work?"

Since this is an informal buddy read, basically you comment your thoughts in here (spoiler free or spoilers hidden) in this thread when you're reading.

Chava | 1386 comments Sweet! Thanks

Chava | 1386 comments well the wait for this book was just too long at the library, so I've bought a copy. I look forward to starting it this week!

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1422 comments Joining from Team Bellatrix for TT challenge! I actually chose this book in May for my Book if the Month Club Book but haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. This will be the perfect excuse to finally sit down with it!

Chava | 1386 comments It's been the 6th here for 21 hours and 21 minutes now, I am going to start. This book has been lying patiently next to my bed since I bought it a few days ago :D

Laura | 9707 comments Chava wrote: "It's been the 6th here for 21 hours and 21 minutes now, I am going to start. This book has been lying patiently next to my bed since I bought it a few days ago :D"

Lol... I'll be back Chava. ( I think I have a problem of overcommitting.) Hehe, I should have read mine weeks ago when I bought it!

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "Chava wrote: "It's been the 6th here for 21 hours and 21 minutes now, I am going to start. This book has been lying patiently next to my bed since I bought it a few days ago :D"

Lol... I'll be bac..."

Me too, Laura. I'm definitely overcommitted this week. I'm excited to read this one, though!

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "Laura wrote: "Chava wrote: "It's been the 6th here for 21 hours and 21 minutes now, I am going to start. This book has been lying patiently next to my bed since I bought it a few days ago :D"

Lol...."

Me too! Cover is pretty!

message 18: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Chava wrote: "It's been the 6th here for 21 hours and 21 minutes now, I am going to start. This book has been lying patiently next to my bed since I bought it a few days ago :D"

I’ll be starting this one today, Cheva. I’ll be back tomorrow to discuss with you!

message 19: by Geri (last edited Jun 07, 2018 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Cheva - How far did you get? I read chapters 1-7. Interesting beginning, I think. (view spoiler)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1422 comments Hoping to start this today!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4701 comments I just read the Prologue and first chapter. Wow, love the writing style so far! I can already tell I'm probably going to really like this one. What an ender to chapter one already...

Vicki Willis | 404 comments I am #4 on the list at the library (down from 31) already. There are 21 copies, so it won't be long! Better late than never!

message 23: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I just read the Prologue and first chapter. Wow, love the writing style so far! I can already tell I'm probably going to really like this one. What an ender to chapter one already..."

The book does get really good as you read more. The Moms are interesting. The mystery really gets complicated. But in a good way. Right now, I don’t know what to think. But I want to know how the book ends!

message 24: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I am #4 on the list at the library (down from 31) already. There are 21 copies, so it won't be long! Better late than never!"

Never too late, Vicki!

message 25: by Geri (last edited Jun 08, 2018 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Chapters 8-15

(view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments I'm going to start this tonight!

message 27: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 251 comments Just finished through chapter 4

(view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments I got through chapter 4 last night also.

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 251 comments Brooke wrote: "I got through chapter 4 last night also.

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Amy and Brooke, you sound like me at the beginning. The author really does a great job at keeping you guessing about what the characters might be hiding and what really happened!

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri wrote: "Amy and Brooke, you sound like me at the beginning. The author really does a great job at keeping you guessing about what the characters might be hiding and what really happened!"

I read so many mystery/thrillers that now I feel like I overanalyze them while reading. I question everything and everyone and look for the minor clues since the bad guy is never the obvious one. :)

Brooke | 1199 comments chapters 5-12

(view spoiler)

I'm still intrigued by the mystery in this one. I'm going to speed through my cleaning, laundry and errands today so I can get back to reading!

Brooke | 1199 comments I made the mistake of reading during a break in my housework. There is a lot going on in chapter 13! Now I have to keep reading to find out what happens next.

chapter 13
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I finished and read your spoilers Brooke. This book really kept me guessing to the end too. So many secrets to be revealed! I liked that the most about this book. All the moms were interesting characters.

Finished

(view spoiler)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1422 comments Finally started! Chapters 1-3

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Finally started too!
Chapters 1 through 5
(view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments I finished too. I really liked it! It didn't feel like a debut novel.

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "I finished too. I really liked it! It didn't feel like a debut novel.
."

(view spoiler)

I actually liked this book better than The Good Liar.

message 39: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Kaley wrote: "Finally started! Chapters 1-3

."

This book will make you question everything!

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1422 comments Geri wrote: "Kaley wrote: "Finally started! Chapters 1-3

."

This book will make you question everything!"

Looking forward to it!!

message 41: by Brooke (last edited Jun 11, 2018 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri: (view spoiler)

I liked it better than The Good Liar also. Now I need to get back to Circe and Ready Player One, both books sadly abandoned because I had to know what happened next in this one. :-)

Laura | 9707 comments Through chapter 10
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 251 comments Brooke wrote: "chapters 5-12

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Through chapter 16(view spoiler)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1422 comments It just occurred to me that maybe the prologue (view spoiler)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1422 comments Through Ch 7

(view spoiler)

Chava | 1386 comments Sorry for the delay, my husband and 6 year old son both got admitted to hospital these last 10 days. Both are back home so hopefully nothing else happens and I can get some serious reading done.

I am at chapter 8, page 102. I hope to finish it over the weekend. I am loving this book. I got so annoyed that I had to look after hubby and couldn't read lol.

Laura | 9707 comments I fell asleep last night trying to finish; I 'll finish tonight after work. I have less than 50 pages and I'm not sure if (view spoiler)

Molloy has definitely created an interesting story here; its fast paced and keeps you intrigued! Looking forward to the ending.

Laura | 9707 comments Chava wrote: "Sorry for the delay, my husband and 6 year old son both got admitted to hospital these last 10 days. Both are back home so hopefully nothing else happens and I can get some serious reading done.

I..."

Oh no, Chava; hope your husband and son are both doing better! Speedy recovery to them both.

Laura | 9707 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

« previous 1