Amazon exiles discussion

Voting threads > Favourite Artists Track 358 - The Amboy Dukes, nominated by theDuke, Voting

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments Ted Nugent's old band are up next, and theDuke has specified, only Amboy Dukes recordings allowed, no Nugent solo releases.

Wiki says they done seven albums, so there should be enough for everyone.

Noms close at 10 pm Sunday evening, and the voting will go all to pot again as I have yet another gig scheduled for Thursday I think, we'll take care of that as it happens.

Happy weekend folks, 5 bands for me to see this weekend, main draw being No Spill Blood (look them up, they're great).

message 2: by theDuke (last edited May 10, 2018 04:22PM) (new)

theDuke | 5786 comments Oh boy..here we go, I forgot this was coming up! I'll just sneak mine in then..and of course..it just has to be this one...

Baby Please Don't Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xPec...

message 3: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15775 comments After Duke
Not familiar with this band but how could I go past this title?

Baby Please Don't Go
Scottish Tea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6kB...

message 4: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments efterval,

...and with maximum respect to the nominator, ted nugent? yawn! :)

ah, a connection - here's a song that the ramones did properly! :)

Baby Please Don't Go
Scottish Tea
Journey To The Center Of The Mind

https://youtu.be/PCR3GSXGFc4

message 5: by Brass Neck (last edited May 11, 2018 02:37AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3894 comments He returned to this one on the classic Double Live Gonzo. Ted Nugent as conservationist visionary anyone? The man's a rabid rightwing nutjob but an integral part of my yoof. Seeing him live in 77 was a minor epiphany; not every day you see an arced stack of Marshalls way taller than the artist, nor for them to climb the stacks and leap off without missing a guitar lick. It wasn't clever but boy was it exciting.

Baby Please Don't Go
Scottish Tea
Great White Buffalo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy1Pl...

message 6: by Tim (last edited May 11, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

Tim Franklin | 9070 comments Two I had under consideration gone, so .....

(starts quietly, but gets louder soon enough)

Baby Please Don't Go
Scottish Tea
Great White Buffalo
Pony Express

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QNO1-q...

message 7: by theDuke (last edited May 11, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

theDuke | 5786 comments Tech wrote: "efterval,

...and with maximum respect to the nominator, ted nugent? yawn! :)

ah, a connection - here's a song that the ramones did properly! :)

Baby Please Don't Go
Scottish Tea
Journey To The C..."

That's okay Tech..somehow I didn't think the 'Dukes' would feature highly on your list of favourite bands! But thanks for nommin' something! :)

message 8: by Sj (new)

Sj Brooke | 2205 comments Baby Please Don't Go
Scottish Tea
Great White Buffalo
Pony Express
Mississippi Murderer

https://youtu.be/CfT2AabnNKI

message 9: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments After Johnny:

Baby Please Don't Go
Scottish Tea
Great White Buffalo
Pony Express
Mississippi Murderer
Ain’t It The Truth
Ivory Castles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl3sd...

message 10: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments After Space

Baby Please Don't Go
Scottish Tea
Great White Buffalo
Pony Express
Mississippi Murderer
Ain’t It The Truth
Ivory Castles
Saint Phillip’s Friend

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDSSoe...

message 11: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments And we'll get this one going more or less on the button this evening for a change.

Nine noms means 3 votes each. Voting closes 10 pm Thursday. There is a gig on at that time, Coilguns, a Swiss hardcore band are playing, but I have doubts as to whether I will be there or not. If so, och you know, catch up later and all that.

The noms this week:

Baby Please Don't Go
Scottish Tea
Great White Buffalo
Pony Express
Mississippi Murderer
Ain’t It The Truth
Ivory Castles
Saint Phillip’s Friend

And the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

Enjoy :-)

message 12: by Rob (new)

Rob Campbell | 477 comments Kicking off the voting. Pretty good that. I've heard of Tud Nugent but not the Amboy Dukes. A refreshing palette cleanser after the samples round!

3 - Pony Express
2 - Ain’t It The Truth
1 - Great White Buffalo

Baby Please Don't Go
Scottish Tea
Great White Buffalo - 1
Pony Express - 3
Mississippi Murderer
Ain’t It The Truth - 2
Ivory Castles
Saint Phillip’s Friend

message 13: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3894 comments Rob wrote: "Kicking off the voting. Pretty good that. I've heard of Tud Nugent but not the Amboy Dukes. A refreshing palette cleanser after the samples round!

3 - Pony Express
2 - Ain’t It The Truth
1 - Great..."

'Tud' Nugent? You missed the r out?

message 14: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments turd nugget, anyone? :)

message 15: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15775 comments After Rob

Journey To The Center Of The Mind - 3
Ivory Castles - 2
Baby Please Don't Go - 1

Baby Please Don't Go - 1
Scottish Tea
Great White Buffalo - 1
Pony Express - 3
Mississippi Murderer
Ain’t It The Truth - 2
Ivory Castles - 2
Saint Phillip’s Friend

message 16: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3894 comments Tech wrote: "turd nugget, anyone? :)

Mr Ambassador you spoil us!

message 17: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5786 comments Tech wrote: "turd nugget, anyone? :)"

Poor Ted! :)

message 18: by theDuke (last edited May 15, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

theDuke | 5786 comments Thanks to all that nominated a song...a nice selection of tracks, would've given points to all of them if I could! But here's my votes..... :-)

After Val:

Ivory Castles - 2
Scottish Tea - 1

Baby Please Don't Go - 1
Scottish Tea -1
Journey To The Center Of The Mind - 6
Great White Buffalo - 1
Pony Express - 3
Mississippi Murderer
Ain’t It The Truth - 2
Ivory Castles - 3
Saint Phillip’s Friend

message 19: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Afer Duke

Scottish Tea 3
Buffalo 2
Journey 1

Baby Please Don't Go - 1
Scottish Tea -4
Journey To The Center Of The Mind - 7
Great White Buffalo - 3
Pony Express - 3
Mississippi Murderer
Ain’t It The Truth - 2
Ivory Castles - 3
Saint Phillip’s Friend

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9070 comments After Lez

Great White Buffalo - 2
Scottish Tea - 1

Baby Please Don't Go - 1
Scottish Tea - 5
Journey To The Center Of The Mind - 10
Great White Buffalo - 5
Pony Express - 3
Mississippi Murderer
Ain’t It The Truth - 2
Ivory Castles - 3
Saint Phillip’s Friend

message 21: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments After Tim:

Ain’t It The Truth - 2
Great White Buffalo - 1

Baby Please Don't Go - 1
Scottish Tea - 5
Journey To The Center Of The Mind - 13
Great White Buffalo - 6
Pony Express - 3
Mississippi Murderer
Ain’t It The Truth - 4
Ivory Castles - 3
Saint Phillip’s Friend

message 22: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments efterspace,

well, that was..................there! 'scottish tea' was borderline offensive (to me)!

2 - baby
1- murderer

Baby Please Don't Go - 2
Scottish Tea - 5
Great White Buffalo - 6
Pony Express - 3
Mississippi Murderer - 1
Ain’t It The Truth - 4
Ivory Castles - 3
Saint Phillip’s Friend

message 23: by Sj (new)

Sj Brooke | 2205 comments Great White Buffalo ~ 3
Ain’t It The Truth ~ 2
Ivory Castles ~ 1

Baby Please Don't Go - 2
Scottish Tea - 5
Great White Buffalo - 9
Pony Express - 3
Mississippi Murderer - 1
Ain’t It The Truth - 6
Ivory Castles - 4
Saint Phillip’s Friend

message 24: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5786 comments Not that it makes a great deal of difference..but I think Baby Please Don't go, should be on 3 points? Tech gave it 2 points and it had 1 already...so

Baby Please Don't Go - 3
Scottish Tea - 5
Great White Buffalo - 9
Pony Express - 3
Mississippi Murderer - 1
Ain’t It The Truth - 6
Ivory Castles - 4
Saint Phillip’s Friend

message 25: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments A clear winner this week then, leading the pack ll the way, Tech's nom, Journey To The Center Of The Mind. Nudging into second spot, Brass Necks, Great White Buffalo, and joining them on the podium, Johnny, with Ain't It The Truth.

An interesting round there, but maybe Tech got it on the button when he said that The Ramones done it right.

message 26: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5786 comments Thanks again, to all that participated & well done Tech, Brass Neck & Johnny.

message 27: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments well, i've always been their number 1 fan! :)

no mibbes about it, space, (no! he's going off rambling about the ramones again - ramonbling, if you will!) never heard the amboy dukes version until very recently, and of course it ain't nearly as good! :) by far the best track on 'acid eaters' which is itself a pishy collection of covers of 60s psychedelic tunes, vocals taken by c.j. ramone (joey ill a lot of the time then) - great lead guitaring by........certainly not johnny, who didn't do lead!

https://youtu.be/1t8xIZsgDf0

message 28: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Sorry, Poppet, I looked him up on Google and was so appalled by the man that I really didn't want to listen to any of his Music or to vote on it.

And it's not often that I ever feel anything like that about anyone! ;oO

message 29: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Congratulations tech! ... x

And very well nominated Mr B and Johnny ... x x

message 30: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5786 comments suzysunshine7 wrote: "Sorry, Poppet, I looked him up on Google and was so appalled by the man that I really didn't want to listen to any of his Music or to vote on it.

And it's not often that I ever feel anything like ..."

No worries Suzy, the man is no saint for sure..but he can sure play his guitar!

message 31: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments i agree with suzy, turd nugget is a vile individual, and his 'screaming old republican savage with a guitar' playing is also abhorrent to me, so, no redeeming values really! :)

message 32: by Tim (last edited May 19, 2018 03:04AM) (new)

Tim Franklin | 9070 comments Tech wrote: "great lead guitaring by........certainly not johnny, who didn't do lead!"

Would you hurl the disc into a bin if it turned out to be the Motor City Moron playing that? ;-)

message 33: by Brass Neck (last edited May 19, 2018 04:08AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3894 comments Tim wrote: "Tech wrote: "great lead guitaring by........certainly not johnny, who didn't do lead!"

Would you hurl the disc into a bin if it turned out to be the Motor City Moron playing that? ;-)"

..... and cut his own ears off probably?! Look, Ted's a reactionary right-wing NRA groupie rentagob sure enough but to a late-teen rock fan in the late 70s he kicked ass in the most unsubtle manner and that period of his music will always have a place in my heart. He isn't a paedo, has never raped nor killed anyone (so far as we know) and has become a self-parody but 'no redeeming values'? Chac'un a son gout I guess.

message 34: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments i appreciate the effect that nugent must have had on a young brass, but he probably wasn't aware at the time,

www.insightnewsmag.co/articles/Ted-Nu...

what a lowlife ****wad sack of s**t the man is!

.....and he's certainly murdered an outrageous number of defenceless animals - t.b.really h., i widny pish oan him if he wiz oan fire!

message 35: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments "Would you hurl the disc into a bin?"

confident that it's not, (even though a right winger like johnny might have been comfortable in his presence), as the guitar was played for the benefit of the song, and not for any sort of guest player's ego. besides ramones weren't selling nearly enough records at that time to be an attractive proposition for 'names' - except lux interior and lemmy, of course! :)

message 36: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3894 comments '.....and he's certainly murdered an outrageous number of defenceless animals' - yep he does it with unabashed glee but then I have caused countless far more defenceless animals to live highly truncated lives (can't slaughter beef over 18 months of age to reduce BSE risk) in severely restricted and unnatural conditions pumped full of antibiotics and then slaughtered in factory conditions because I eat meat every day. All the animals TN kills (and I'm NOT saying he's not a rabid nutjob here) lived in the wild, probably longer lives and had a chance to escape using their natural alertness and other instincts - not an option at the abattoir.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything and I'm aware of Ted's extreme limitations and unpalatability as a public figure but dang, I ain't perfect enough to cast stones about killing animals. I still really enjoy his big dumb rawk albums from 76-82ish for what they are.

message 37: by suzysunshine7 (last edited May 19, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Good for you, Mr B! - and I do genuinely mean that as well ;o>

I was, of course, very disappointed to get to learn of his full-on and bloodthirsty stance on Hunting - but it was actually more the bullying nature, foul language, and extremely abusive content of his many remarks towards Black people, women, and the innocent victims of the recent School Shootings that made me feel like I would rather sit out than join in on this one.

I prefer to ignore and to try to forget that there are actually people out there like that!

message 38: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3894 comments suzysunshine7 wrote: "Good for you, Mr B! - and I do genuinely mean that as well ;o>

I was, of course, very disappointed to get to learn of his full-on and bloodthirsty stance on Hunting - but it was actually more the ..."

Guess I'm explaining ME rather than excusing HIM really (there IS no excuse for some of his latterday views but they weren't all over the media back in my day ....... when it were all fields round 'ere and you could leave yer doors op..........).

message 39: by suzysunshine7 (last edited May 19, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments ♫ ... "Ahhh, those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end?
Those were the days, Ohhh yes, those were the days" ... ♫

;o>

message 40: by theDuke (last edited May 19, 2018 03:19PM) (new)

theDuke | 5786 comments I'm no lover of the gun fraternity...but all I say is..that's Yanks for you. They just don't get it...and every year, dozens (or sometimes hundreds) of innocent students (and bystanders) get killed by mentally unstable kids who have far too easy access to firearms in the States...and it's always the same old refrain that gets peddled out by the country's politicians, promising to tighten up their gun laws..and still it goes on...cos of their stupid constitutional rights on gun ownership!

And yes, I agree, TN isn't the world's most palatable person to ever have graced our little blue planet..especially with his passion for killing wildlife...but it's what a lot of yanks like to do..hunting is a hugely popular pastime from many of them. However, we Brits can hardly take moral high ground on this, cos hunting exists in our country! Okay, the ban on fox hunting is still in place (for now, and long may it continue)...but what about all our landed gentry toffs, that go hunting for wild fowl every year..all in the name of sport...and....fun?

Like BN says, I don't care for TD's later works, but his earlier stuff with the Dukes, still rocks my boat.

And that's the last word i'm saying on this...cos theduke has just left the thread! :)

message 41: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9070 comments Brass Neck wrote: "'.....and he's certainly murdered an outrageous number of defenceless animals' - yep he does it with unabashed glee but then I have caused countless far more defenceless animals to live highly trun..."

I do suspect one reason Nugent takes such public delight in hunting is precisely because he knows it will outrage those who hate him.

Duke, I know you're done with this. However, there is a difference between the kind of trophy hunting done by those creeps who kill animals to mount their heads on the wall, and the kind done by game shoots in this country (where all the birds are eaten) and yes, by Nugent, who eats the animals he hunts. Ted refuses to consume farmed animals for the reason alluded to by Brass above, as they're pumped full of drugs and growth hormones.

message 42: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments hey duke, i....................................

message 43: by Brass Neck (last edited May 20, 2018 03:23AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3894 comments 'I do suspect one reason Nugent takes such public delight in hunting is precisely because he knows it will outrage those who hate him' - bit like Trump's approach to Presidency; they're both shock jocks who just don't happen to be on the radio or the gobshite know-all kid in the class throwing verbal hand-grenades around just to provoke a reaction - ANY attention is better than being ignored to them. They also know it will evoke absolute delight and support amongst the unthinking and ignorant who see salvation in their empty partisan divide and conquerabsolutism.

Anyone see this doing the FB rounds which gives some light in these dark times?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/19/us...