Blazing Readers & Wordy Writers discussion

The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
This topic is about The Goose Girl
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Monthly Book Reads > Goose Girl: After Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine (catherine_mooncakes) | 1797 comments Mod
Thank you for reading the book with us! Please share your thoughts. Here are some questions to get you started:

-Who's your favorite character?
-What did you think of the ending?
-What did you think of the book?
-Do you have any ideas on the moral of the story?
-What do you think the author's tone suggests?

Note: Spoilers are allowed, so don't read this page unless you've read the book.

message 2: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (last edited May 15, 2018 05:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 1249 comments Mod
You know. I think it's the themes of deep-rooted loyalty, discovering self-worth, and fighting for the truth no matter the odds that I love so much in this novel. The pursuit of nobility no matter the cost. The idea that true friends are priceless. The knowledge that we each are created individually and with unique gifts. These are what draw me to this book. And Hale writes so beautifully, with vivid descriptions that light a fire in the mind's eye. She's crafted a world rich in culture and incredible laws of nature. I have always loved languages and that also endears this novel to me. There are many facets of The Goose Girl that I love. I could go on and on and on!

message 3: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mhmm, yes, I enjoyed this book. I felt like it had a little bit of a slow start, but it definitely picked up. I appreciated the retelling aspects of it, how it stayed true while still being original. The positive messages were definitely there, but not in a horribly pushy way. You hit the nail on the head with your summary of the theme! The character growth was clear and full, and the characters were varying and interesting. It was a great book! (Do you mind if I include your theme comments in my review? I'll credit you, of course.)

message 4: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

And, now more on the questions I have up there:

My favorite character was probably Enna. She had so many different aspects to her, and I really loved her piece in the story as a friend to Ani, but also as her own self with her own story. I heard that the next book was more about her- I will be sure to pick it up!

The ending was very pleasant, as fairy tales go. Geric's true role was definitely a pleasant surprise, and I'm going to go right out with my fangirl terms and say: I ship it! The whole Selia thing was pretty gruesome... but she did want that to happen to Ani.

My thoughts, the moral, and the tone I already kind of touched on.

message 5: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Not at all! Go ahead! I revamped my own review and think I'm going to make it my next blog book review. And, since I was just repeating myself I took bits of the themed speech above and added them in. But totally! Feel free!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I admit. I was a little nervous about your reaction, probably cause I totally gushed all over it and was a little afraid I may have built it up too far for you. Personally, it's one of my all time favorites, as I keep saying XD, but I know not everyone enjoys the same things to the same extent that I do.

message 6: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

YASSSS! Book 2 is Enna Burning!!!! It was amazing too! XD Cause I adore Enna and...*cough* certain other characters who I will not name to avoid spoilers. Cutest couple ever! XD Plus! Fire! Who's a pyromaniac? I am! XDXDXD She's such an amazing friend and loyal and a deep character all on her own. I totally agree. I have a fun story about book 2, but I will wait to tell it until after you've read it.

Oh, man, Geric really makes me smile. I love how their relationship built slowly and began as friends. Plus, you know, who wouldn't fall for a guy as honest and slightly awkward as he is? I love the scene where they meet and Ani steals his horse! I like how they develop as a couple.

Yeah, but that was straight out of the original, so I never really found it so bothersome, personally. Oh, man, but Selia's character was awesome! I liked her multifaceted motives and skills. She was a cool character for sure.

message 7: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ok, I keep shoving this series at you, but seriously-- Keeper of the Lost Cities is my favorite book series and you just said you like fire- girl, there's fire. xD

In that scene I picture Ani like "Aw, the horsee needs a good rider. I speak animal!!" I had a revelation partway through the book where I was like "Wait a minute.. She's like 17, isn't she? I've been picturing her as 13.." I dunno.

Yes, definitely. The people-speaking thing was interesting to watch play out.

message 8: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

You know what. I'm gonna find a copy of that and read it. You do keep telling me! *determined face* Ima make it happen!

message 9: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

So, what did you think of the (view spoiler) Totally curious.

message 10: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Coralie wrote: "You know what. I'm gonna find a copy of that and read it. You do keep telling me! *determined face* Ima make it happen!"

Yay!!!

message 11: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Coralie wrote: "So, what did you think of the [spoilers removed] Totally curious."

(You can post spoilers here, I put a warning at the top that there may be some on this page.)

It was fun to catch Selia in the act, though a little predictable. I suppose the fairy tale might be the starting of that cliche. I figured someone would find out or report something as soon as they started the conversation. It was a good way to convince everyone, though!

message 12: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine wrote: "Coralie wrote: "So, what did you think of the [spoilers removed] Totally curious."

(You can post spoilers here, I put a warning at the top that there may be some on this page.)

It was fun to catc..."

You know...I never thought of that. You mentioned the fairy tale might have been responsible and I just now realized that the tapestry and secret alcove is basically an elaboration of the stove the king listened in on in the original! Wow! I never put two and two together! I always just thought it was a neat idea and a good way to trick them into having an honest conversation. But...in the original, it was also the king who listened to the goose girl pour out her heart--although alone--and tell her tale. Neat!

I LOVED that Conrad caught her and brought her back!!!

message 13: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh, yeah! I didn't connect that either! Clever!

Yes, that was a great way to tie it all up! They couldn't have a happily ever after with a questionably good character, now could they?

message 14: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hahah XD

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.