Blazing Readers & Wordy Writers discussion

The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
This topic is about The Goose Girl
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Monthly Book Reads > Goose Girl: While Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine (catherine_mooncakes) | 1797 comments Mod
While you're reading the book, share some thoughts with us! Here are some questions to get you started:

Do you have any predictions on what's going to happen?
What did you think of [insert scene here]?
What do you think of the author's writing style?
Is it easy to read, or difficult?

message 2: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 1249 comments Mod
What connections to the original tale have you identified?
What do you think of the characters?

message 3: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm through part one. The writing style is very simple, which I like. In fact, when I first started reading it, I thought it might be a children's book; however, I have realized it isn't. It isn't the most engaging story I've ever read, but it is interesting, and the world-building is excellent.

Ahhh, what's the original tale? It appears I need to brush up on my fairy tales.

I like the characters. (view spoiler) Ani is an intriguing protagonist, and I'm interested to see what her choices will be from here on out.

message 4: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hehe, so I'm almost halfway through. XD I read like 40% last night. I can honestly say that I just love this book! So, I'm totally biased.

I love the beauty in her style in this book. She writes with such vivid language that bring the images to life. For instance, early in the book she said something (I wish I could find it so I didn't have to paraphrase!) about the fire set ablaze in leaves to describe the autumn colors and the mist on the river was in the same sentence. I just find these little descriptions that make me smile and wish I could write like that!!

And I do enjoy the simplicity. It certainly isn't a children's book! But it is a beautiful story and such a well-done rendition, in my opinion. She takes the original story and cleverly adapts it. Maybe that's what I love so much. The clever way she caters to the original and yet still pulls off such a compelling story. Oh, and I love her worldbuilding! I could spend forever between the pages of this series for the world building!

The original tale is called The Goose Girl. It is best known by the Grimm's Brothers, I believe. Part of me says you should finish the book first cause spoilers, but then the other part of me says you would appreciate the book so much more if you knew the original tale. It doesn't help that this is also one of my favorite fairy tales. Hah, guess I'll just gush on some more! XD

Here's a link to the original tale: https://germanstories.vcu.edu/grimm/g...

Oh, man, if you only knew girl! These characters are some of my very favorite and they only grow the further the series goes on! I do like Ani very much. I like how she's slowly finding her place in this new world and she's learning who she is as a person, what she's made of. She's starting to come out of the shadow of her mother and learn "well, I know I'm not my mother, so...who am I?" LOVE IT!

Kay, done gushing XD

message 5: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sounds like I have some catching up to do, but I'm sure I can manage. ;-)

Oh, yes, I meant to mention that! Such descriptions! Here are a few random, interesting ones:
"her chest felt like a gutted walnut shell,"
"skin like sour milk."
"purple like a sauced plum,"
"the feeling that came, like a cricket leaping inside her chest,"

I just read that bit you linked. A bit morbid for a fairy tale. xD I found it funny how in that tale, the mother is so loving, whereas in Ms. Hale's... I suppose we'll see how she turns out to be. (No spoilers!)

I'm eager to see more of what you're describing!

message 6: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine wrote: "Sounds like I have some catching up to do, but I'm sure I can manage. ;-)

Oh, yes, I meant to mention that! Such descriptions! Here are a few random, interesting ones:
"her chest felt like a gutte..."

Actually, most of the original tales are much more...graphic? than the retellings. Disney definitely dummed stuff down (which I'm not complaining!). But the original tales weren't meant for children. They're often full of gruesome and gory elements, thematic elements, and more. They were meant for adults and thus had much more mature themes. For instance (not super graphic) in Rapunzel, the prince was blinded by thorns, in Cinderella, the two-stepsisters cut off parts of their feet to try to fit into the slipper, and in Snow White, she lay in her coffin in the prince's castle for years until a maid who changed her sheets out got fed up and beat her back causing the apple chunk to loosen and Snow White to wake up. It's crazy what are in some of those original tales. I can't place my finger on why I like the Goose Girl so much. Maybe it's the trading places, but Maid Maleen isn't one of my favorites so...maybe it's something else? I'm not really sure.

Yes, no spoilers! :D I like fresh meat far too much to spoil!

Ugh! Yes! I love her comparisons! There's one about a moth and I'm like "dude, everyone knows how a moth flutters to a flame." It's an image that EVERYONE knows! I think it's just neat that she uses images that are so beautiful and so relatable. Ooh, Ima find that fire in the leaves one. It was early, but I think it's my favorite!

message 7: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Um, okay, so I forgot about this one thing. Forewarning. In Chapter 19 there is a legend that they tell. There's only one paragraph that you should be warned about. It's not really bad, but I don't want you to be caught off guard. It doesn't spoil anything in the story either. There's nothing graphic, but the paragraph alludes briefly to nudity. It explains why the women of Bayern go with the men to war. If you want, just skip the paragraph after "Vanquished." It truly is only that paragraph. I personally am fine with it because it contributes to the culture and worldbuilding (and it doesn't say anything explicitly), but I am sorry I forgot about it til now. :/

message 8: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm halfway through! I'm going to try to do a bunch of reading and try to power through, since I notice you posted on "After Reading." I won't look at that till I'm done, though. :)

That's true. Like in Hansel and Gretel, the whole eating-children deal is kind of morbid.

Thanks for the warning! I think I'll be okay with it (I've read some things) but I appreciate knowing ahead of time.

I'm definitely starting to see the character growth. Ani is maturing and clearly trying to change, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when (if the original is followed) she becomes a princess again.

message 9: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

No rush! I'm a force of nature with certain books...*blushes* and I kind of inhaled this one cause I got so excited. No fear! I avoided spoilers and mostly just talked about the overarching themes of the novel that endear me to it.

YES! Exactly! And the Robber Bridegroom! Yikes!!

Oh, yes! The character development is my favorite. I...ugh...just honestly. These characters were my best friends in middle/high school. I love Enna and Finn and Isi. And...yes...I love them. *hugs tightly*

message 10: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished! I'll go post about on After in a sec.

Ug, so I just discovered that Shannon Hale was the author of Princess Academy! That book was my childhood (along with Ella Enchanted a few others)! And there's new books! I have to go relive that ASAP! So, both of us loved her when we were younger (and now)!

message 11: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, yes! She's one of my top three favorite childhood authors! I've read nearly everything she's written. Haven't read all of the Princess in Black books--they're more like first chapter books, but they're cute. And I haven't read the second graphic novel Calamity Jack yet, but I want to eventually. Princess Academy was excellent! I loved it and the sequels were pretty good too. Girl, now you have to finish the Books of Bayern for Hale's sake! :D

message 12: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hehe, there's only been a few books where I've read the first (or first couple) and then not finished the series. That usually happens when either I didn't like it enough to continue, my library had only the first few books, or I didn't like it enough to pay for the next book.

message 13: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine wrote: "Hehe, there's only been a few books where I've read the first (or first couple) and then not finished the series. That usually happens when either I didn't like it enough to continue, my library ha..."

I'd loan you my copies if I could! This series is...just...*continues to gush* XD It's one of those odd ducks where they're all good. I mean, the third one was my least favorite, but I've only read it once and want to reread it and see if it was just an off day(s) for me, you know? And, boy! Book four! POW! It was thrilling! I wouldn't read any synopsis's ahead of time though...just in case...

message 14: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I typically don't read the synopsis ahead of reading a book that's been recommended to me by a trusted source. That way, the plot is a total surprise.

message 15: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ooh! That's a good idea.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.