Authors & Reviewers discussion

Author Services > NYC-based Manuscript Reader with Agency Experience

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (last edited May 10, 2018 03:13PM) (new)

Valerie Best (valerietown) | 3 comments I've worked in publishing in New York City, read manuscripts for Anderson Literary Management, and, most recently, read for the Center for Fiction's First Novel prize. And now I want to read your book!

I am a Brooklyn-based reader with a Master's degree in literature and a decade of professional publishing and agency experience. I read all genres.

Every writer is in a different place in their process, so communicate what level of read you're in need of (a wide-angle once-over or a close, chapter-by-chapter set of notes) and we'll work out a rate that works for both of us.

message 2: by Addison (new)

Addison Dixon | 49 comments Do you read for revisions? For reviews?

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Best (valerietown) | 3 comments Hi Amariah ,

For revisions. My expertise is reading works in their manuscript stage as a writer is in story renovations and looking for a pair of fresh eyes.

message 4: by Addison (new)

Addison Dixon | 49 comments Ahhh! So you do editing work, correct?
If so, how did you start off? I'm considering a career in editing (with writing books as a hobby. Have one published already) and was wondering if you have any advice? You can privately message me if you wish. Whatever works.

message 5: by Addison (new)

Addison Dixon | 49 comments If you are fine with explaining (even in a nutshell) how you started off.

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Best (valerietown) | 3 comments Hi Amariah,

Of course. I moved to New York and started with an internship at a small imprint. I finished the internship and stayed on as an editorial assistant. During this time I was connected to Anderson through a grad school friend and I started reading manuscripts (the process post-query and pre-actual agent reading) to give a yea or nay to pass along to the agent. It was, without a doubt, the best practical literary education there is (no shade to grad school). Best of luck!

message 7: by Addison (new)

Addison Dixon | 49 comments Wow! Well that definitely does help me!
Thank you, and I appreciate it.

message 8: by Marta (new)

Marta Weeks (httpwwwmartacweekscom) Query for editors and reviewers:
Hi Valerie, you have excellent background and experience can you please tell me if you read Fantasy/Paranormal and if you charge what your fees are.
I have published the introduction to my series, book one, The Sylph's Tale on Amazon, it has good reviews, I can provide a PDF.
I'm currently working on book edits. Here is a brief summary of my Fantasy/Paranormal series books:

The Sylph's. Tale: a story of love, discovery, and magic loosely based on the “sons of Gods” as in the Torah and Genesis 6. Ages after witnessing creation the Archangel of Light is in his earthly paradise when a girl runs to escape a barbarian ritual. Voices order “take your Eve” after he obeys he's damned to be a being without a soul. His name becomes Ayekah: as in “Where are you?” He names her Haya or Eve. Haya has special powers, and she and other virgins birth the first generations of angel/humans. Together they change her cave society. After her death, Ayekah traverses the world until he tempts other angels to sin with women. The Almighty sets out wiping out the angel/human offspring but the Dragon of Eternity saves some. Ayekah returns to Haya's crypt until the 19thth century when Haya commands: “Ayekah it is time.”

Book Two, Virgins, starts in 1958 when virgins birth five generations of twin women from Haya's cells with Ayekah's power. Ayekah forms The Retais to protect and control them. One is fertile the infertile is the watcher, like moss on a stone enslaved to each other in a sometimes terrifying world they rebel against what they think is superstition. Ancestral writs, voices, and apparitions guide them until tradition breaks and the last born, not twins, are driven to learn what they suspect is their true origin.

Book Three, ROLO, a dubious character, Sigrud Liera (Sig) forms The Tardell Corporation to infiltrate The Retais and dominate the last born, not twins. Rayena Gentray (Ray), an accomplished scientist who battles with right and wrong while completing research that brings the mutant ROLO to life. Her cousin, Aryana Delmars (Ary), a Parapsychologist foresees how Ray’s research will affect humanity must stop her. Sig makes Ray, Ary and himself a living part of ROLO.

There is the start of a third book: A battle between greed, magical powers, and humanity for eternal life. Humans almost become extinct. Ray and Ary join forces to infiltrate Tardell to destroy ancestral shackles that keep them bound to a destiny they come to refute.

Thank you for your consideration.
Marta

The Sylph's Tale

message 9: by E_K (new)

E_K | 2 comments Hello Valerie,

I've been to New York years ago - for a week only, but I loved that city and it was my first (and unfortunately only) trip to the glorious USA.
I live in Austria (Europe) and I wrote a manuscript in English, because... well, why really? Because English is THE language for strong verbs and adjectives and perfect, really, for fiction.

I wrote a manuscript, it's sort of romance with a kick, and I'm in dire need of an editor. Some day I'd like to publish it, because who doesn't want that? But it's a long way ahead...

If you're interested, what information would you need from me? A summary? Can you do a sample edit? I'm willing to take anything I can afford...

Thank you in advance,
E.K.