I'm Trying to Get a Book Published! discussion

Advice/Questions > Should I post my work online?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments Since many writers legitimately are concerned about theft of their writing, I'd like to share this article with you. In the end, the decision and risk of posting your writing online ultimately lies with the writer. But this article will help to shed one author's perspective on the matter. Hope you guys find it useful.

http://www.publetariat.com/publish/se...

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Cool! Very interesting article. :)

message 3: by Kevis (last edited Aug 15, 2009 05:06AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments If it means anything. Even though many of you in this group don't know it, I'm already inclined to follow the career of many of the people in this group. By having posted your work online for me to read, I already have begun to grow very familiar with the writing of many of our group members.

Without you guys even realizing it, I've already picked out several of the writers in this group whose writing I will want to continue to read in the future. This means that when the time comes that these writers have honed their skills and choose to publish their works, I will not have any hesitation to open up my wallet to purchase their writing.

Again, without even knowing it, many of you are already building yourself a readership, of which I am proud to include myself. For those writers in this group whose careers are being created right before our eyes, the rewards of gaining a readership seems to outweigh the risk of posting their work online since they will have plenty of readers already waiting to purchase their published material.

If a site like GoodReads had existed when I was a teenager, it would have helped me tremendously in my development as a writer as well as my career.

message 4: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Yeah, I think that posting writing online has its advantages. A lot of people on this site have already promised to buy my books when they're published. :) lol

message 5: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments Brigid,

I am happy to say that I am one of them. ;)

message 6: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ haha :D thanks

message 7: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) me too

message 8: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yay! :]

message 9: by I'amber (new)

I'amber (xiamberx) | 113 comments Kevis wrote: "Brigid,

I am happy to say that I am one of them. ;)"

I agree, I like shades [:

message 10: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ ooh haha idk if i'll ever finish that story ... i always get stuck on it. >_< lol. it'll probably take me a long time before/if i finish. :P

message 11: by I'amber (new)

I'amber (xiamberx) | 113 comments Ah, gotta finish it.

I always seem to get stuck here lately, or writers block.

><

Makes me so mad.

message 12: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) i just posted the first chapter to fire touched