The Sword and Laser discussion

Night's Master  (Tales from the Flat Earth #1)
This topic is about Night's Master
Podcasts > #323 - Demon Mythology

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1729 comments Mod
So many awards! Locus, Scribe, Parsec, oh my! Plus why we think maybe it's OK to read the 21 books you shouldn't read, and we kick off Tanith Lee's amazing Night's Master.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2018/5/...
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/18727276

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8960 comments Hope you feel better, Veronica,

As my mom the nurse once said, “When you get a cold and go to the doctor, you’ll get better in just 14 days. If you don’t go to the doctor, it’ll take a whole two weeks.” (She might have been annoyed at some coworkers at the time.)

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8960 comments “I went straight to man-babies in diapers.” - Erotica Belmont

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Received a letter than someone was disappointed in my question about Man in the High Castle, about whether Tom would prefer to live in the Pacific States or the Western Reich. I realize that could be seen as doing a disservice to Asian countries and people affected by Japanese occupations of WW2 -- that definitely wasn't my intent (I was speaking very specifically about the world of the book / show from the viewpoints of the characters) but I want to apologize nonetheless.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2554 comments One of the best crossovers I can remember was the Batman/Judge Dredd series.

message 6: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited May 11, 2018 09:11PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tassie Dave | 3677 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "Received a letter than someone was disappointed in my question about Man in the High Castle, about whether Tom would prefer to live in the Pacific States or the Western Reich."

I do think they are being a bit precious. You asked a perfectly reasonable question about your country in a fictional universe.
Reading genre fiction is all about the "what ifs"

Since reading "The Man in the High Castle" and watching the TV show I have wondered what living in a Japanese controlled Australia would be like.
I was born in the year TMitHC was set (1962). Life would have been much different.

Isak Theodorsson | 38 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Received a letter than someone was disappointed in my question about Man in the High Castle, about whether Tom would prefer to live in the Pacific States or the Western Reich."

I ..."

Reminds me of a book series me and a childhood friend used to read (we took turns buying the books so I ended up with half a series), Tomorrow, When the War Began I can't remember that they ever specify the invading nation other than being Asian. It was very exotic and thrilling, a reread would probably not be a great Idea.

message 8: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

I believe the email writer's primary issue was that PKD diminishes the horrors the Japanese Empire unleashed in their occupations of the many Asian countries they invaded throughout history, and puts them in a more sympathetic light than the Nazis.

Having not read the book, I can't speak to that. Season Two of the show (I'm only a few episodes in, so please no spoilers) touches on the Japanese American internment at camps like Manzanar, for example. And I think there are a lot of examples of the brutality of the occupation of the Pacific States.

HOWEVER -- there are definitely more sympathetic Japanese characters in the show, I'd say.

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited May 11, 2018 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Isak wrote: "Reminds me of a book series me and a childhood friend used to read (we took turns buying the books so I ended up with half a series), Tomorrow, When the War Began I can't remember that they ever specify the invading nation other than being Asian. It was very exotic and thrilling, a reread would probably not be a great Idea.."

John Marsden did want to keep the Asian country vague, but I have always thought that it was mostly likely meant to be Indonesia, given Australia and Indonesia had a long history of political turmoil during the Sukarno and Suharto regimes.

Did you know that it has been made into a movie and TV series?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456941/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4716164/

The movie was ok. I never saw the TV series, but it never got great reviews.

message 10: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 2 stars

Veronica wrote: "I believe the email writer's primary issue was that PKD diminishes the horrors the Japanese Empire unleashed in their occupations of the many Asian countries they invaded throughout history, and puts them in a more sympathetic light than the Nazis."

He does. I guess Nazis as the real evil plays better to US audiences. It does here too.

Which is strange as both our countries had territories bombed by only the Japanese and not the Germans :-?

Possibly spoilery for Season 2 of TMitHC (view spoiler)

message 11: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8960 comments Also please apologize for using the word “potato” in a previous podcast. It offends my Irish heritage.

message 12: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1678 comments What ifs are fine. If I have to choose, knowing what the Japanese did to my country during the occupation, the Reich looked like a better option. I just read The Man in the High Castle a few weeks ago and did question the nice Japanese there.

message 13: by Isak (new) - rated it 3 stars

Isak Theodorsson | 38 comments Veronica wrote: "I believe the email writer's primary issue was that PKD diminishes the horrors the Japanese Empire unleashed in their occupations of the many Asian countries they invaded throughout history, and pu..."

Yes actually I get a faint recollection, I think I have come across the trailer for the film back in the the days. I guess the books are still popular in Australia then because I read translations so they must have had to come out few years before that, a bit to old for the nostalgia crowd to be the target audience.

message 14: by Iain (new) - rated it 2 stars

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1530 comments Silvana wrote: "What ifs are fine. If I have to choose, knowing what the Japanese did to my country during the occupation, the Reich looked like a better option. I just read The Man in the High Castle a few weeks ..."

My recollection of TMITHC is that the Japanese were quite racist and held all the positions of authority on the West Coast. One of the intriguing images of the book. Unless you are Pol Pot everyone looks good compared to the Nazis. Its a pretty low bar.

message 15: by Stephen (last edited May 13, 2018 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1391 comments The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller is a great rework of the Greek myth and includes all the lesser known tales of Achilles in a sweet narrative mode . Plus it is currently only $1.99.
https://www.amazon.com/Song-Achilles-...
Madeline also has a new one out which I look forward to reading
Circe.