Play Book Tag discussion

Before We Were Yours
This topic is about Before We Were Yours
May 2018: Family Drama > Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
4 stars

I was very much looking forward to this book! It had everything that I love: historical fiction, focused on a little known event/fact, told from multiple generations POV. And I did like it, but the really great middle was bookended by a slow start and an annoying character at the end.

I can overlook the slow start. There was a lot to set up, though I think the historical story line could have moved at a bit better clip. Forgivable though. Especially because I compulsively listed to the middle 60-65% of the book. It was heartbreaking and hopeful all at the same time. I had no idea about Georgia Tann but what a freaking monster! And now I want to read more about her. Isn't it ironic that she was such a horrible person yet at the same time possibly moved forward the adoption mentality so much in this country. Talk about a moral conflict!

Then the end came. Seriously, I cannot believe I am saying this because I adore romance novels, but the romance subplot was 100% not needed. I thought it felt forced. Avery did not need a fiance, she did not need a love interest, she did not need this conflict that just distracted form the true point of the story. The finance should have been left on the editing floor and, for god's sake, Avery and Trent could have just been friends with a shared history whether than two people who were attracted to each other. THAT would have actually been more interesting. It made the ending of the book nearly unbearable.

Also, while I really liked the political family of Avery, I thought their discussion to potentially bury the past was a mentality straight out of the 1970s. It seemed implausible that a family would be talking about how to cover up this "family scandal" (which it wasn't) instead of spinning it to their advantage.

The audiobook was quite good though, so that is a plus.

I feel like this review is harsher than what I actually felt about the book but there were just a few points that still are pinging around in my brain and causing me outrage.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m a bit scared to read this now! For some reason the audio isn’t available in Australia so I’ll be reading it when I get around to it.

message 3: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Put myself on the overdrive waitlist. I'm #159, sheesh!

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Decent book. Loved the history and learning about Georgia Tann. The present day part of the book was a bust to me. Wished I could have skipped those chapters.

Hahtoolah | 439 comments This book is on the reading list for one of my book groups, so I will be reading it sometime before our book discussion. Thanks for the review.