SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Space Opera (Space Opera, #1)
This topic is about Space Opera
What Else Are You Reading? > "Space Opera" by Catherynne M. Valente (BR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Starts on May 20th. Let's start the roll call.

I'm obviously in.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments I have it on hold at the library. Not sure when it'll get in, though.

Melanie | 925 comments I'm hoping to join in...

HeyT | 445 comments I read it the week it came out and loved it so I'm excited to see what everyone thinks!

Tina (tinatome) I'm totally in! It looks like so much fun!

message 6: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (rosewoodpip) | 1686 comments I'm in.

Tina (teanah) | 55 comments Yay! I’m in.

message 8: by Mimi (new) - rated it 1 star

Mimi (1stavenue) | 29 comments Also in. Really looking forward to this book as I've been seeing and hearing about it just about every where.

message 9: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
I'm most likely going to join, the premise sounds so ridiculous that I have to try it at least. I'm a bit wary because I've never understood why people like Eurovision.

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments I’m in!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Cool, looks like we have a good BR team here. I have never seen a Eurovision before so I better check some YouTube videos.

message 12: by Meagan (new) - added it

Meagan | 84 comments I also have it on hold. So if it's here on time, I'm in!

message 13: by Gary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments also got to see if my library has it but I'm definitely in! Sounds hilarious.

message 14: by Ivy (new) - added it

Ivy Jones | 2 comments What's the worst that could happen :) I'm in.

message 15: by HeyT (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT | 445 comments Eurovision is today (May 12th) you guys I'm so excited!!!
Also if it's available on youtube in your country i highly recommend the love love peace peace song as a nice overview/introduction to Eurovision it will make the book that much more enjoyable.

message 16: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

With all my social media feeds filled with Eurovision stuff and having just finished a very heavy book, I'm tempted to start this sooner.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments HeyT, I just watched Love love peace peace and it was so ridiculously over the top it was magnificent!

message 18: by HeyT (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT | 445 comments It is hands down my favorite Eurovision moment to date! I'm just sad a lot of the YT vids of it aren't available in the US

Jamesboggie (goodreadscomjamesboggie) | 77 comments I plan to read it soon. This would be my first buddy read.

message 20: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina (tinatome) Jamesboggie wrote: "I plan to read it soon. This would be my first buddy read."

This is my first buddy read, too. I'm not entirely certain how it works, but the book looks interesting so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Buddy reads are fun! I usually just post what I think while reading it with location (page or percentage or chapter) and spoiler tags. Kinda like live tweeting but you get to discuss stuff in between and after.

message 22: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina (tinatome) Silvana wrote: "Buddy reads are fun! I usually just post what I think while reading it with location (page or percentage or chapter) and spoiler tags. Kinda like live tweeting but you get to discuss stuff in betwe..."

That's awesome! Can't wait to get started

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments I started earlier.

Now 13%/ chapter 4

This is really a strange book. The style reminds me of someone who I completely forgot. One sentence can last a paragraph with lots and lots of comma. It feels like a word vomit at first, takes some time to get use to it.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments I'll be starting this, probably, tomorrow.

message 25: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments I'll join in if I manage to get my hands on a copy in time.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments End of chapter 7

(view spoiler)

I am still not following the super long, verbose sentences.

message 27: by Gary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments Picked this up on audiobook as as I have a few long drives this week. Doesn't seem like much of a plot to start, just a lot of Hitchhiker's style world building and humor.

message 28: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited May 20, 2018 03:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Silvana wrote: "End of chapter 7
(view spoiler)"

You most likely don't need this anymore, but (view spoiler)

I'm not loving this :/ It's too much, too like Hitchhiker's, and just too everything. In that sense, very on point considering the Eurovision angle, but I'm just not into it.

Now about Hitchhiker's, I fricking loved it as a teenager. I wouldn't stop talking about it. I still talk with a highschool friend of mine using references we picked up from those books. I think I read the (four) books a million times. But when I think about it now, I don't know if I would love the humor anymore. I'm afraid to reread, because I don't want to spoil fond memories, and lately all these humor scifi books just annoy me. Maybe I'm just old and cranky, and can't appreciate a good laugh anymore.

Back to Space Opera, I did find some quotable lines, not ones I'm personally into, but I'm going to send them to friends who I know will appreciate them. So I can see how many people would love this as much as I used to love Hitchhiker's, so far I'm just not one of them.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Thanks, Anna. I liked the first two Hitchhiker's books, they are hilarious. But, this book, I haven't laughed yet...

Already 30%, but (view spoiler)

message 30: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Silvana wrote: "I liked the first two Hitchhiker's books, they are hilarious. But, this book, I haven't laughed yet..."

That's good to hear, I thought there was something wrong with me!

message 31: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina (tinatome) Just woke up, grabbed my tablet and starting now. Gotta say, these reviews so far are not encouraging...

message 32: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm sure I'd like it considerably more if I was a fan of Eurovision.

message 33: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina (tinatome) Ok. I'm only on chapter 3 (because breakfast, and cats that find me reading, rather than petting, highly offensive). I want to like this book. It's just... it's a lot of words... squished with other words... and jammed between a few more. IT'S ALL NARRATION so far. It's just interesting enough to keep me going, so here I go...

message 34: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina wrote: "It's just... it's a lot of words... squished with other words... and jammed between a few more. IT'S ALL NARRATION so far."

I'm at chapter 24, and it's very much the same. I'm speeding through as fast as I can so that I can move on to something else.

It's not as bad as I'm making it sound. I'd like it much better if it was novelette length, or maybe even a novella. It's just too everything, so keeping it shorter would improve things a lot.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Hang in there, folks! We're in this weird journey together.

message 36: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I also might like it better if there were even occasional pauses in the crazy, I mean it's all go all the time. The humor can't stand out in a sea of the same joke over and over again. Yes, it's clearly witty and smart, but give me a moment to appreciate it before the next one rolls in.

message 37: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I did it! I marathoned my way through all the glitter bombs. I did spot a few less obvious Eurovision references even though I've never really watched it, so I'm sure the fans will enjoy loads of inside jokes.

message 38: by HeyT (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT | 445 comments I'm sad you guys are kind of not loving it. I loved it but then my gaming guild always has a Eurovision "watchalong" (we're an international guild) so I think I'm definitely in this book's target audience. Chapter 25 was my ultimate favorite. (view spoiler)

message 39: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

HeyT, I think it's impossible to appreciate this book if you're not familiar with Eurovision. Like I said, I at least know what it is and could recognize some things, but someone who hasn't ever seen any of it would miss out on a lot.

I would still recommend it to someone who likes Hitchhiker's and Eurovision, but I wonder how well this will age.

message 40: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina (teanah) | 55 comments I’m all of 4% in to the ebook but I’m really enjoying it so far.

Lots of over the top nonsensical metaphors, super fun alien species, and made up sparkly music genres.

So far it’s a fun book, and I’m definitely in the mood for something a bit less serious.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Progressing really slowly at 37%. Hoping we'll get to see some music, as soon as possible. Going off tangents a lot so far.

Anywho, the title of the book parts remind me the Avatar Last Airbender series. Water. Earth. Fire. Air. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony....

I am so distracted.

message 42: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited May 21, 2018 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think the musicy bits were like the last three chapters or so. I might be wrong, it's all blurring together since I sped through it so fast.

message 43: by HeyT (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeyT | 445 comments Yeah the music was all at the end.

message 44: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina (tinatome) That was interesting. I didn't love it, but I liked it. It was fun, but not terribly funny... And I love zany, over the top, ridiculousness. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset. I had to push through some of it.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments The music is only at the end? If I skim the middle, will I miss a lot of the plot?

message 46: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hmm, yes I think you will.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Which means there's a lot of plot development in the middle? that's good. Alright, I'll soldier on.

message 48: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited May 22, 2018 12:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I wouldn't say this book has a very detailed plot, no, but there is stuff between the beginning and the end that you need to know. I know that super vague, but I don't want to spoil anything.

message 49: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (rosewoodpip) | 1686 comments I've read the first couple of chapters, and the writing style hasn't quite sunk in. So far, I appreciate it way more than I like it. Phrases like "the most obnoxiously Campari-drunk open-mic-night-reject half-sucked raspberry lolly of a lyric" have a manic charm, but run the risk of losing their effect long-term if the author doesn't take their foot off the gas occasionally.

As somebody who had only vaguely heard of Eurovision before reading the book--and knew nothing about it--maybe I'm not the target audience. But I'm trying! I've been tracking down videos of the chapter title songs on YouTube as I go along. "Boom Bang-a-Bang" was cute, and "Rise Like a Phoenix" was EPIC. I almost cried!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments 57%. I am getting used to the many many expositions. In fact, the zombie planet sounds really interesting.

« previous 1