The Humour Club discussion

Books > Summer reading,

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Ashcomb | 90 comments I’m trying to find something humorous to read. Lately, I have been struggling to find a good book to make me laugh. (I know it is my own fault, not the books, poor creatures.) Anyone have any suggestions up their sleeves?

I like dry, witty, political books, but I’m up to anything else. And I have read most Vonnegut’s books, and love them.

message 2: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler | 1559 comments Mod
A Confederacy of Dunces comes up a lot around here. Also, author-wise, P.G. Wodehouse and Terry Pratchett are favorites. Many of The Humour Club members are also authors of humorous books; with a little digging, you might find a new favorite from among the group.

message 3: by K.A. (last edited May 10, 2018 07:23AM) (new)

K.A. Ashcomb | 90 comments Thank you. I have read both P.G. Wodehouse's and Terry Pratchett's works, they are good. I haven't come across A Confederacy of Dunces, I will see what that is about. I have been looking over the threads and have found some of your books, and will get to know them as well.

What are you planning to read this summer?

message 4: by Melki (new)

Melki | 3523 comments Mod
K.A. wrote: "I like dry, witty, political books, but I’m up to anything else. And I have read most Vonnegut’s books, and love them."

Political humor is Christopher Buckley's specialty. I'd recommend Florence of Arabia and They Eat Puppies, Don't They?.

message 5: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Ashcomb | 90 comments Oh, those look very promising. Thank you very much!

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Wilton (michaelroll) | 5 comments K.A. wrote: "Oh, those look very promising. Thank you very much!"

K.A. wrote: "I’m trying to find something humorous to read. Lately, I have been struggling to find a good book to make me laugh. (I know it is my own fault, not the books, poor creatures.) Anyone have any sugge..."
The Spy Who Couldn't Count
by Michael N. Wilton
Link: http://amzn.eu/3tM22Pe

This might suit you. Recently released, it is a story about Jyp who after a succession of failed jobs blunders into an interview to escape the attentions of his over amourous colleague only to find he gets snapped up as a trained spy by the security services.
Let me know if you are interested.
Mike
mike@thewiltons.net

message 7: by Brena (new)

Brena Mercer | 617 comments Confederacy of Dunces is a good example of a great book that was rejected by many publishers. After the author's suicide, his mother hounded publishers for 11 years until it was published. It became a cult classic, a mainstream success, and won a Pulitzer Prize.

He wrote Neon Bible when he was 16, and all I could think when I was reading it was, "How did a 16 year old have this much insight, and how did he acquire such fantastic writing skills?" Some writers leave me in awe.

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Agans (daveagans) | 46 comments May I humbly recommend my novel The Urban Legion? It's a Men-in-Black inspired spoof of conspiracies and the urban legends they fake. It's definitely dry satire ala Vonnegut and Christopher Buckley. And in general, you might want to look into the Jasper Fforde Thursday Next series. https://amzn.to/2ww6bFJ

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 2422 comments Mod
Easy on the self-recommendations, folks! Remember the rules? Something about not doing that, I'm pretty sure.

message 10: by Brena (new)

Brena Mercer | 617 comments There is the thread - pimp your book here.

message 11: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Ashcomb | 90 comments I jumped the gun (skipped waiting for the summer) and started reading Confederacy of Dunces right away. I'm one third of the way and I have to say that some writers have it, the way to portray the world with words. I put Christopher Buckley's two books on my waiting list and when summer comes I dive right in. They really looked great.

I have read the first book of Thursday Next series, I'm not quite sure if I like it or not. I read the first book on my flight to my sister's place and it was entertaining and sucked me in, but for me something was missing and I'm not sure what. And to be honest I'm a bit afraid to try the next novel. I'm not sure why. Does it get... (not sure how to finish this sentence as better doesn't seem fitting)?

message 12: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler | 1559 comments Mod
Glad you're enjoying Confederacy of Dunces. I'm kind of the same way with the Jasper Fforde books - the first I read was amusing, but I think he pushed it too far as a series.

message 13: by Dave (new)

Dave Agans (daveagans) | 46 comments The Jasper Fforde series is definitely uneven--some are thin plots but lots of silly language jokes, some are more plot-driven. The first book has a lot less of the Bookworld meta-literature jokes, so I found the next few books more entertaining. I agree with Joel, Fforde probably pushed it too far (there are 7 books I think) and a few are weak. But as a fan of silly meta-writing jokes, I enjoyed them all,

message 14: by Dave (new)

Dave Agans (daveagans) | 46 comments Rebecca wrote: "Easy on the self-recommendations, folks! Remember the rules? Something about not doing that, I'm pretty sure."
Whoops, sorry. Got carried away by mention of Kurt Vonnegut and Christopher Buckley in the same post.