Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Looking for a Project? > Bengali assistance needed

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emy (last edited May 10, 2018 02:35AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments A few tasks relating to বুদ্ধদেব বসু

1. I'm gradually adding বুদ্ধদেব বসু as second author to all Bengali works by Buddhadeva Bose, but any assistance would be gratefully received!

2. I cannot read Bangla/Bengali at all, so I have no idea on combines either, so I need someone else to look over that aspect, please.

3. I believe all works were not originally in English, so the Original Title field needs to be corrected to the actual original title wherever that's the case. Some anthologies may be English originals in that formation (i.e. that exact group of works) instead of a translation (e.g. The Selected Poems of Buddhadeva Bose).

4. A number of editions only have covers. Any research on what edition they relate to would be fabulous, especially format, publisher and release date with that cover.

message 2: by Emy (last edited May 10, 2018 03:20AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Sub that: শার্ল বোদলেয়ার: তাঁর কবিতা

Seems to be a translation by বুদ্ধদেব বসু of a Baudelaire book. Can anyone confirm this. Both editions need to have Baudelaire's name added as on the cover (not replacing "Baudelaire", in addition to it).
Book should have:
Charles Baudelaire
Charles Baudelaire in Bengali
Buddhadeva Bose (translator)
বুদ্ধদেব বসু IF on cover.

message 3: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Naresh Guha

This author has NO works in the Latin script. The name therefore needs to be changed to Bengali.

message 4: by Michael (last edited May 10, 2018 07:18AM) (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Emy wrote: "Naresh Guha

This author has NO works in the Latin script. The name therefore needs to be changed to Bengali."

Isn't it possible that his works were translated to English but those books were not yet added to GR? I'd keep the English name as primary to be on the safe side. Also, I know it's probably (:P) against the policy, but I'd prefer all Bengali books to have author names added in English whether they were translated or not

It's difficult to type the script in Indian languages using standard keyboard. There is very limited usage of keyboards having keys exclusively in Indian subcontinent scripts - there are nearly 20 languages after all. So users typically search for books using English transliterations - removing English names of Indian (and other subcontinental) authors just because there are no works of theirs on GR translated to English would inconvenience a lot of Indian subcontinent users.

Now I wouldn't protest if anyone decides to strictly follow policy and remove English names and I won't go into continuous e-war adding/removing English names. Just pointing out why following policy strictly isn't practical in certain cases :-)

I've quite a few Bengali authors in my backlog and I work on them whenever I have some time but if any native Bengali speakers (I'm not) can work on them as well it'd be great.

1. Saibal Mitra
2. Smaranjit Chakraborty
3. Bivas Roy Choudhury
4. Krishanu Bandopadhyay
5. Sasadhar Dutta
6. Sirshendu Mukhopadhyay
7. Ishanee Mukhopadhyay
8. Parimal Bhattacharya
9. Chanchal Kumar Ghosh
10. Hemendra Kumar Roy
11. Debotosh Das
12. Arindam Das Gupta
13. Kumar Prasad Mukhopadhyay
14. Moti Nandi
15. Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay
16. Syed Mujtaba Ali
17. Nihar Ranjan Gupta
18. Sanjib Chattopadhyay
19. Narayan Debnath
20. Samaresh Majumdar
21. Kalkut
22. Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay
23. Satyajit Ray
24. Sukumar Ray
25. Shibram Chakraborty
26. Tarashankar Badyopadhyay
27. Narayan Sanyal
28. Mahaswetha Devi
29. Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay
30. Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay
31. Manik Bandopadhyay
32. Kaliprasanna Singha
33. Rabindranath Tagore
34. Premendra Mitra
35. Suchitra Bhattacharya
36. Anil Bhowmik
37. Satinath Bhaduri
38. Adwaita Mallabarman
39. Narayan Gangopadhyay
40. Rajshekhar Basu
41. Gajendra Kumar Mitra

I haven't checked how many of these are already up to date as I've added these to my backlog over several years. Shout out to Bengali librarian Emtiaj who has cleaned up a lot of these profile over years :)

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Michael wrote: "Emy wrote: "Naresh Guha"

Isn't it possible that his works were translated to English but those books were not yet added to GR? I'd keep the English name as primary to be on the safe side. Also, I know it's probably (:P) against the policy, but I'd prefer all Bengali books to have author names added in English whether they were translated or not "

While it is possible, we shouldn't really be editing the catalogue based on what is potentially out there. Well unless we want to go hunt it down (I've done that with Russian material sometimes :) )

message 6: by lethe (last edited May 10, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

lethe | 14867 comments Emy wrote: "Naresh Guha

This author has NO works in the Latin script. The name therefore needs to be changed to Bengali."

Looks like he wrote a book on Yeats: https://www.amazon.com/W-B-Yeats-Indi...

(Google Books has an image of the cover and it is definitely in English.)

message 7: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments If that edition is added to Goodreads, then we can work from that.

message 8: by Krishnendu (new)

Krishnendu Chowdhury (krishc11) | 4 comments Michael wrote: "Emy wrote: "Naresh Guha

Isn't it possible that his works were translated to Engl..."

Hi Michael,

Bengali is my first language and I'll be more than happy to help in these endeavour of yours but sadly every time I apply for the goodreads librarianship, they reject my application for some unknown reason ! :-(

message 9: by Bornik (new)

Bornik C (bornikc) | 6 comments This author has NO works in the Latin script. The name therefore needs to be changed to Bengali."

Isn't it possible that his works were translated to Engl..."

I have changed names to bengali script for Sasadhar Dutta and Hemendra Kumar Roy.
While changing names I am only adding bengali scripts and not removing Latin names as it would make them more dificult to search by using normal Latin Keyboards.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jul 28, 2020 09:22AM) (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
Bornik wrote: "While changing names I am only adding bengali scripts and not removing Latin names"

This is not correct on Goodreads. The name, sort by name, and shelf display name must all be in the same language. Also, Wikipedia links should not be added as an official author URL. If they do not have their own website, that field should be left blank.