SIA Showcase for Readers and Writers discussion

Guardians of Churchill's Secret Army: Men of the Intelligence Corps in the Special Operations Executive
Member showcase A through G > Peter Dixon - Preorder at launch price 17-24 December 2020 - bringing John Wesley's advice on personal finance into the 21st century

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter (pdinuk) | 5 comments Hello all. I'm Peter. I live in the UK and I've been researching for my new book for a year or so. We're publishing on 25 June and pre-orders are open at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVKHF2B (USA) or https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CVKHF2B (UK) at an introductory price.

However, you can sign up at https://dl.bookfunnel.com/ef68xwyjz3 for occasional updates on the publication process and to receive a free pdf sample chapter. You can of course unsubscribe at any time.

Following a positive experience and some knowledge gained in publishing my wife Ingrid’s book The Bride’s Trunk A Story of War and Reconciliation by Ingrid Dixon I am again publishing through the ‘micro-publisher’ she and I formed. So we need lots of help!

Here’s the ‘blurb’:
In July 1940, a desperately weakened Britain licks her wounds after the humiliating retreat from Dunkirk. How can the fight be taken to the enemy? New Prime Minister Winston Churchill orders the creation of the Special Operations Executive, to 'set Europe ablaze' through subversion and sabotage. But this most secret of agencies must be kept secure.
Guardians of Churchill's Secret Army tells the mostly unknown human stories of the men who were brought into SOE, straight from Intelligence Corps training, to do just that. They were junior in rank, but far from ordinary people. They were Australian, Anglo-French, Canadian, Scandinavian, East European and British. They had been schoolteachers, journalists, artists, ship brokers, racehorse trainers and international businessmen. Each spoke several languages.
These men stood alongside courageous agents in training: encouraged them, assessed their character, and tried to teach them the caution and suspicion that might just keep them alive, deep in enemy territory. But they did much more. Many became agents themselves and displayed great bravery.
All played a crucial role in the global effort to undermine the enemy. We find them not only in the Baker Street Headquarters of SOE, but also in night parachute drops, in paramilitary training in the remotest depths of Scotland and in undercover agent training in isolated English country houses. We follow them to occupied France, to Malaya and Thailand under threat of Japanese invasion, to Italy and Germany as they play their part in the collapse of the Axis regimes. As we do so, we find a world of heroism and commitment so different from our own experience that it is scarcely believable.

Thank you!

message 2: by Dwayne, That's Dr. Cannibal To You (new)

Dwayne Fry | 563 comments Mod
Hi Peter.

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith Mehl (jmehl) | 3 comments This sounds like an amazingly well researched book. And an interesting little-known aspect of war,

message 4: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter (pdinuk) | 5 comments Thanks, Judith. Feel free to sign up and check out the first chapter.

message 5: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter (pdinuk) | 5 comments Just an update:
My new book Guardians of Churchill's Secret Army Men of the Intelligence Corps in the Special Operations Executive by Peter Dixon is published today, at a launch price of $1.99/£1.49 until 30th June - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CVKHF2B.
Also on kindleunlimited.
Hope you like it - reviews welcome!
Thanks, Peter

message 6: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter (pdinuk) | 5 comments Good news, bad news on Launch Day
My late friend and expedition leader Michael Cole was predictable. During our months in Nepal, China, Peru and Nicaragua, we faced a few setbacks. But we could count on Mike to start any conversation with 'The good news is ...'. There was never any bad news.
Today's 'good news is' that the Kindle edition of Setting the Med Ablaze Churchill's Secret North African Base by Peter Dixon is out at https://getbook.at/Ablaze.
The genre is WW2 historical nonfiction. The book tells the true stories of the men and women of the Special Operations Executive's secret North African base.
The Kindle edition will stay at the launch price of £0.99 / $0.99 until July 23rd.
There is 'less good' news, though. James, our designer, has been set back by the coronavirus and is still working on the final paperback and hardback covers. They are nearly ready, but meanwhile the paperback is available on Amazon with a provisional cover. It will probably be a couple of weeks before the book is available from local book shops (if they are open).
I hope you enjoy the book. I've loved researching and writing it.

message 7: by Peter (last edited Dec 12, 2020 10:58AM) (new) - added it

Peter (pdinuk) | 5 comments “Money never stays with me. It would burn me if it did.” John Wesley.
John Wesley's eighteenth-century message about personal finance,
'Gain all you can. Save all you can. Give all you can.'
is as radical today as it was three centuries ago. Perhaps more so.
My new book Gain Save Give Gain Save Give by Peter Dixon updates Wesley's words for today's concerned Christian, and for all who want their money and resources to make a positive impact for good in the world.
As we look forward to a post-pandemic world, this practical guide will help you:
• Gain productively
• Save efficiently
• Give effectively
Each chapter concludes with some actions you can put into practice right away, so we can all get a little closer to using money for good.
Kindle edition on pre-order now at https://getbook.at/GainSaveGive for 17th December launch. Do take advantage of the $0.99 / £0.99 launch price before Christmas Eve, as a Christmas gift. Paperback and hardback available soon.
Please take a few minutes to leave an honest review!
Thank you!
Peter