YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

If We Were Villains
This topic is about If We Were Villains
BUDDY READ: Mystery/Crime > If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio - Restarting July 4th 2019

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Enter the players. There were seven of us then, seven bright young things with wide precious futures ahead of us. Until that year, we saw no further than the books in front of our faces.

On the day Oliver Marks is released from jail, the man who put him there is waiting at the door. Detective Colborne wants to know the truth, and after ten years, Oliver is finally ready to tell it.

Ten years ago: Oliver is one of seven young Shakespearean actors at Dellecher Classical Conservatory, a place of keen ambition and fierce competition. In this secluded world of firelight and leather-bound books, Oliver and his friends play the same roles onstage and off: hero, villain, tyrant, temptress, ingénue, extra. But in their fourth and final year, the balance of power begins to shift, good-natured rivalries turn ugly, and on opening night real violence invades the students’ world of make believe. In the morning, the fourth-years find themselves facing their very own tragedy, and their greatest acting challenge yet: convincing the police, each other, and themselves that they are innocent.

Part coming-of-age story, part confession, If We Were Villains explores the magical and dangerous boundary between art and life. In this tale of loyalty and betrayal, madness and ecstasy, the players must choose what roles to play before the curtain falls.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Mind if I join you in a day or so for this?

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Karen wrote: "Mind if I join you in a day or so for this?"

Sure! The more the merrier :) I've been meaning to read this for a while now but I only got the audiobook today xD

message 4: by ✦ Maica ✦ (last edited May 10, 2018 06:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Act 1 Scene 4

(view spoiler)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Act 2 Scene 1

(view spoiler)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Act 3 Scene 1

(view spoiler)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Act 3 Scene 8

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Up to scene six Act One. Quite a self-aware set-up, and I’m intrigued by the idea.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Act one. Sense of all the rivalries in the group bubbling to the surface at the moment. Oliver is coming across as quite detached at times.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Part II. Plenty of the group have reason to want to hurt Richard. Looks like we have to wait a little longer to find out.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Act III. It seems to have taken Oliver a while to work out what the rest of them seem to assume. Still no closer to knowing what happened.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Act IV. I’m keen to know how Oliver’s account differs from the others’ views. Do wonder what James is hiding.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Finished. Review on home page. As expected in terms of the story but I like the vagueness of the ending.

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85740 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting July 4th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Ashleigh | 3375 comments Act I

(view spoiler)

Ashleigh | 3375 comments Act II

(view spoiler)

Ashleigh | 3375 comments Act III

(view spoiler)

Ashleigh | 3375 comments Finished

(view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments I am so behind, sorry! I'll be starting this one very soon.

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Act I (view spoiler)

@Claire No rush! Take your time :)

Shahana shirin (shahanashirin) | 661 comments Act 1
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Claire (last edited Jul 08, 2019 10:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments Act 1 - Scene 6
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Claire (last edited Jul 09, 2019 03:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments End of Act I
(view spoiler)

Act II Prologue
(view spoiler)

Shahana shirin (shahanashirin) | 661 comments Act 2
(view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Act II, Scene 6
(view spoiler)

@Claire (view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments End of Act 2
(view spoiler)

@Emma (view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments Act III Scene 6
(view spoiler)

Shahana shirin (shahanashirin) | 661 comments Act 3
(view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Act III, Scene 1
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Shahana (last edited Jul 11, 2019 03:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shahana shirin (shahanashirin) | 661 comments End
(view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments End of Act III
(view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments @Claire I agree! (view spoiler)

Act IV
(view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments @Emma
(view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments End of Act IV
(view spoiler)

message 35: by Claire (last edited Jul 11, 2019 05:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments Finished!
(view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments Same, Emma, I think that if I was more familiar with Shakespeare, I would have enjoyed it more, but I skimmed quite a bit of the quoting because there's just so much of it and I can barely understand it anyway. I mean I'm not gonna take points off just because I'm not educated enough but still, even if I had understood it, it was a bit much.