What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Literary fiction (20th Century): Lecturer gives an endless and increasingly unhinged lecture about classical music(?) to a baffled audience at a senior center

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave | 2 comments Unfortunately, I don't recall a great deal about this book, despite having read it only a few years ago.
It was definitely written in, and set, in the 2nd half of the 20th century, with some significant post-modern elements to it, from a novelist, likely US or german, of some substantial literary renown. I recall it being darkly comic.

I believe the entire book presents itself as the text of a lecture, given in a senior center or town hall to an tiny, accidental, and increasingly reluctant audience. The nominal topic of the lecture is, as best I can recall, classical music (and was certainly on a learned cultural topic, perhaps visual art or philosophy). The lecturer goes on huge and bizarre tangents, related to his personal life and history, and his delusions of grandeur.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40689 comments Mod
Something by Thomas Bernhard? I can't say I've read this but it sounds like something he might write.

message 4: by Dave (new)

Dave | 2 comments Both good guesses! Definitely not Salvayre. I completely agree with Lobstergirl that it's like something Bernhard *would* write, but I can't seem to find a specific work of his that this is.

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1527 comments Still looking for this?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Anything by Wolfgang Hildesheimer?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Where is it set? Country, region, etc.