Play Book Tag discussion

Weeds: In Defense of Nature's Most Unloved Plants
This topic is about Weeds
Archive: Other Books > Weeds: In Defense of Nature's Most Unloved Plants / Richard Mabey. 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9071 comments This is mostly a history of plants that may be considered weeds – basically, plants that are somewhere where a human doesn’t want it to be. It looks at how they travel, plants that were used medicinally, how they (re)populate decimated areas. He looks at how they’ve been viewed in history, including in literature, and more.

It was ok. Some parts were interesting, and others were dry. I probably tuned out a lot when he was looking at literature (except “In Flanders Fields”, which has more meaning).

message 2: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Some weeds seem to be bridging the gap between weeds and cultivated plants. In another Goodreads group, we have been talking about foraging for food. As I look for plants to forage, I see much of the plants have been affected by growing in a city--affected by poisons, dogs, and other irritatants. So I looked to see if dandelion seeds--just one example--were sold in packets. They are. Probably for reason you have stated Cindy--medicinal. Right now Aryvedic medicine is getting big, and dandelions are big in Aryuvedic medicine.

LibraryCin | 9071 comments You reminded me, there was also some mention of foraging for food in ths book, as well.

LibraryCin | 9071 comments After i posted my review in way too many places, i added one more sentence, but only to the reviews on the book page, and in a couple of lt groups, i hadnt yet posted.

The last sentence i added in: but, i still love the idea of the book!

message 5: by Karin (last edited May 11, 2018 11:13AM) (new)

Karin | 7470 comments It's too bad that his book isn't more interesting. Weeds are important, particularly indigenous ones. Dandelions also attract BEES. Clover is not a weed--it was sold mixed with grass seed for a long time as it fixes nitrogen that the grass needs, but since weed killers kill it, it started to be reclassified. Not only do the herbicide companies make more money this way, if they sell fertilizer it helps them even more.

Because our yard is organic, it has naturally gained more and more dandelions over time. They are a menace in the vegetable garden, but they look pretty in the lawn while blooming (not so much the rest of the year, though).

Also, some weeds are edible, and can make part of your diet even as you weed them out of your garden.

LibraryCin | 9071 comments Karin wrote: "Dandelions also attract BEES. Clover is not a weed--it was sold mixed with grass seed for a long time as it fixes nitrogen that the grass needs, but since weed killers kill it, it started to be reclassified. Not only do the herbicide companies make more money this way, if they sell fertilizer it helps them even more...."

This is sad about clover. I have heard about people replacing lawns with clover. I'd love to do that (HATE mowing!), but this year, I am starting with doing my flower bed (that is currently covered in mulch in hopes of nothing growing there - hate yard work, in general! Though there are tulips from before I moved here that still peek through, which is fine.) It just seems like so much work to replace the entire lawn!!!

I knew that about dandelions. I will probably eventually dig up some of them, but I tend not to dig them all up, and early in the season (now), I do leave them. The only reason I dig any of them up is that I don't want neighbours to complain!