To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird question

This book was fantastic but what made it?

This is a five star book for me because it's a story I've carried around with me in my head in vivid detail from the first time I read it when I was about 12 years old. Going back to it as an adult, I admire the language and the politics and the characterization of Atticus as a heroic figure. But what makes it continue to live in my memory is the perfection of the portrait of Scout - reading this book was living her life for me, even though I was a child of the South a good 20-30 years later. Every detail from her point of view played true and still does. That makes it one of my personal "great novels."

Atticus's speeches and quotes were absolutely beautiful.
One of my favourites was...
"...I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do. Mrs. Dubose won, all ninety-eight pounds of her. According to her views, she died beholden to nothing and nobody. She was the bravest person I ever knew."

The child's perspective is genius. Plus it struck a chord of civil rights issues, which is still relevant today.

It is about dicrimination of all kinds. Racial, social, against the mentally retarded. All told through the eyes of a young girl trying to make sense of it all and not really accepting it.

My favourite part was "mad dog's a coming"
I had to stand up to read, I could not stay seated.

I think it is the writing that makes this book so great. The reader really does get drawn into the world of the depression era south and it is why I return to the book again and again. The narrative compliments the voice of scout and book is full of memorable scenes my favorites being when Atticus shoots the rabid dog and when the children talk down the lynch mob outside the jail these are both intimate yet forceful scenes seen through the eyes of scout as a child but recalled as an adult. That's not easy to do but Lee does it brilliantly.

I agree with Will. The young narrator saw things in an innocent way. The book deals with serious problems still around today. Having a child narrate it gives unique insight into these problems. She doesn't already accept these things; they are new to her. Through her eyes, they can be new to us as well.

And it was just well-written. Enough deep stuff with enough fun breaks.

It is a truly honest book. There is no hiding behind stereotypes and it was close to revolutionary when it was released. The fact that it continues to be read and respected today is amazing.

Quick story. We have an old theater downtown that shows black and white movies during the summer. My parents took my brother to see TKAM when he was like 11 and I was at camp. He sat between them and when Mr. Ewell grabs Scout in the ham costume, they both reached out and grabbed his knee (without planning it in advance). He jumped up and screamed and everybody laughed at him.

Hard to capture it in a few words. But If I had to take up the challenge I would say that it was the perfect recreation of a child's voice, so reminiscent of our own childhoods, plus the warmth and love of friends and family plus the very adult racial tensions contrasted with the strong principles of Atticus Finch.

The book creates tension of opposites - of trust and distrust, of a child's eye view of the world versus an adult's, of self interest vs public interest ... and all without preaching to us.

It is sometimes very moving to hear adult principles told in the voice of a child.

I'd say it's mostly about the characters, and how they care for each other and face life's issues.

The characters, the town, the voices and the raw, unpolished power of the story.

I can still smell the dust in the streets and the sweat in the court room.

I loved the book. I liked the way it was writen and i liked the characters.
Also it gave me a different view of that time period, because i have learned a lot about hitler and that time period, but mainly in The netherlands (europe).

And the ending was soo sweet with Boo. "Will you take me home?" It made him so vulnerable.

So many things made this book great - the characters and their development, the message, the POV, everything. I especially loved how Scout was able to not quite get what was happening, but the reader knew. That's amazing talent.

The characters, the language, the writing and its realism.

It encapsulated everything that was wrong in the South through the eyes of a child. There is a truth here that transcended the bigotry of the times. The book shows the dignity for the downtrodden and the honor in standing up for what is right even if it is a losing cause.

Atticus Finch shows us the honor of of treating everyone with dignity whether they are dirt poor farmers, the crazy lady next door, white trash, or poor black.

She was actually inspired by the boros brothers, a group of african american kids who got an unfair trial.

the beautiful relationship between Atticus and his children

Probably the time period, it was "before its time" as the saying goes. Nobody expected it then, now, it seems as if "everything" has been covered a million times and is so hard to find anything new or "real."

How can someone know that a book is "Fantastic" without knowing why? "Fantastic" is a subjective judgement, so one would have to have perceived the "Fantastic" quality of the book due to one's own appreciation of whatever aspects made it seem "Fantastic", thereby rendering the question of what makes it "Fantastic" unnecessary, right?

Or am I missing something here... ?

Renee E Know what's really an epiphany, Duane?

The LotR readers are a lot quicker on the uptake and savvy to reality.
...more
Nov 02, 2014 07:39PM · flag
Duane well, it *looks* that way at the moment... But there are too many variables involved, to conclude that for sure... Maybe if the Amanita invades more L ...more
Nov 02, 2014 09:59PM · flag