The God of Small Things
This topic is about The God of Small Things
India > Discussion for God of Small Things starts here

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth | 179 comments Mod
The chosen book for August 2014 is God of Small Things

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Lehman | 29 comments At one point I was not enjoying this novel...finding it somewhat tedious...but then it began to sink in..and I began to feel as if I knew the place and characters intimately. I don't know how the author did that. By the end of the book, I was hoping for justice and resolution... I think more so, perhaps, than the surviving characters.

Busy summer so just starting our August Book. Agree with Ed its a slow start but now that I am a few chapters into the book I am starting to enjoy it. I need to look at a map of India to check some of the references to historical events that are referred to in establishing the setting for the story.

I didn't enjoy this book. This is a first for all the books we have read. very depressing. Suspense built throughout the novel leading to the death of a child, the heartbreak of the adults and the dissolution of a family.

Despite my comments about the story line it is beautifully written. As Ed notes you are drawn into the world of the characters getting to know them intimately. However the most horrible things happen to them. Just not my kind of book.