Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > June 2018 THEMED Nominations: Romance

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited May 11, 2018 06:20AM) (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2649 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for THEMED category for June 2018.

THEMED books need to be currently in print on at least one platform, and fit the theme for the month. If there is no spaceship involved, then it must take place on another planet with a technological society. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series. Frequently books in this category will be those from major publishers that are no longer in print as paperback (or haven't yet made it to paperback), but Kindle Exclusive books are allowed too. It is perfectly fine to nominate a book here that would qualify for one of our other categories.

CURRENT THEME: Romance. In the midst of the action, two or more sapient beings fall in love. This can be a courtship, an arranged marriage, some kind of breeding season, or whatever. The romance does not have to be the main focus of the book. Please include a warning if there are explicit sex scenes. Sex scenes are NOT required here, but are allowed.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited May 11, 2018 06:19AM) (new)

My nomination is Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6) by Sharon Lee Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. It’s part of the Liaden Universe but can be read as a stand-alone. Currently in print in paperback in the omnibus The Dragon Variation, previously in omnibus Pilots Choice. Available as ebook as just the book or the omnibus Dragon Variation. Also available on Audible.

The story is about a brilliant but timid mathematician and a group of pilots who help her come out of her shell, learn to fly a starship, defend herself, etc. There is a romance thread but it isn’t the main issue. I’ve read this many times and it’s one of my favorites.

No sex scenes.

I also nominated this book for Reader.

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 898 comments Mod
I'll second Scout's Progress. I really enjoyed it. (view spoiler)

message 4: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 330 comments Can I nominate A Civil Campaign? It looks from the Bookshelf that the group read book 2 of the Vorkosigan Saga a while back, but not this one. This book definitely is Space Opera with romance.

message 5: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Audrey wrote: "Can I nominate A Civil Campaign? It looks from the Bookshelf that the group read book 2 of the Vorkosigan Saga a while back, but not this one. This book definitely is Space Opera with ..."
Can the book be enjoyed without reading other books? This is marked as book 12 of the series, but if it works as a stand-alone then it fits both here and for Reader.

message 6: by Kateblue (new)

Kateblue | 3 comments Bujold is so good at explaining her world that you can read them alone. However, I think it's better if you at least read Memory and Komarr first.

message 7: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 330 comments I think my original idea could have worked, but the first of the Vorkosigan Saga books (I am not counting Falling Free) also has romance between two main characters. Therefore, I nominate Shards of Honor

message 8: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited May 19, 2018 02:28PM) (new)

Summary:
Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6) by Sharon Lee Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Nominated by Teresa. Seconded by Betsy.

Shards of Honor (Vorkosigan Saga #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold. Nominated by Audrey. Seconded by Kirsten, below.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I second Shards of Honor!

message 10: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 303 comments I'd like to nominate Faring Soul, which I read a while ago. I bought (but not read) the rest of the trilogy and so I've been meaning to read it again...

message 11: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed. Rolling random numbers...

message 12: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

The June Themed pick will be Shards of Honor (Vorkosigan Saga #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.