What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

It Always Happens to Leona
This topic is about It Always Happens to Leona
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Chapter book - young girl has very curly hair, wants smooth and shiny. Uses a whole bottle of conditioner. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tathariell (new) - added it

Tathariell | 175 comments I read this several years ago, so it's not super recent, published before 2010 at least.
I remember a young girl who has curly/frizzy hair, and wants it to be smooth and shiny like her friend's. Her family visits a community pool before picking up a visiting relative (aunt?). When they are showering, the girl notices a conditioner bottle left behind. She uses the whole bottle, wanting her hair to be smooth and shiny for her aunt's visit. She takes so long that the water gets shut off and the pool is locked up. She manages to find a cleaner and get out, but her family has left to pick up the aunt. They eventually make it back to get her, tears and apologies all around.
Later, her mom is trying to brush out her hair, but she never rinsed out the conditioner, so it's a hard, snarled mess.

I feel like this might be one of the "Clementine" books, but I haven't found this scene in the flipping through I've done.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
Clementine series by Sara Pennypacker - mentioned by Tathariell

message 3: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4326 comments It Always Happens to Leona by Juanita Havill maybe?
Here are some fragments from the google book:
She shampooed her hair three times just to stay in the shower. Then she rubbed ... Maybe if she used enough conditioner, it would straighten her curls. ...
It must have been locked. From the inside? Where did everybody go? Leona pushed on the other door. It was locked, too. "Mo-om! He-elp! ... Leona would have to sit in the hall until the pool opened at two in the afternoon.

message 4: by Tathariell (new) - added it

Tathariell | 175 comments I do believe that's it! Thank you!

message 5: by Tathariell (new) - added it

Tathariell | 175 comments Wow, you mods are quick! I was just trying to figure out how to mark it solved ;)

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Tathariell. I marked your request as Solved by clicking the small "edit" link beside the topic header. This works only on the desktop website (not the mobile app).