Play Book Tag discussion

The Last Anniversary
This topic is about The Last Anniversary
May 2018: Family Drama > The Last Anniversary, by Liane Moriarty- 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (last edited May 09, 2018 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments 4 stars for entertainment, the book itself was probably more of a 3-stars though. I think this is one of Moriarty's first. I LOVED Big Little Lies, and wasn't much of a fan of Truly Madly Guilty. This fell in the middle, and makes me want to read more and more of her work. I did think this felt more "chick-lit" than her others- which were heavier on the mystery element. Nothing dark and brooding here.

This book was the epitomy of family drama. It alternates characters within a family, plus Sophie- the main protagonist who is gifted with a family house and moves to the same island as everyone else. I felt like each character held their own, and the plot kept me interested. The mystery element was strange- for the first half of the book I wasn't sure what mystery I was trying to figure out. Lots of background on the characters and plot building to lead up. Once the title "anniversary" came around, the book flew by.

The ending was.... weird. I didn't expect the 'reveal'- and had an alternate reveal in mind that I actually thought would have been better. (view spoiler) Everything was TOO finished, and wrapped up in a bow. But altogether a fun read.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 9371 comments Very apt review. A lighthearted first work for this author. Which was more fun than anything else.

message 3: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments I have been curious about this title because I LOVED Big Little Lies and wasn't sure which Moriarty to tackle next. I'll put it on the list!

If other Moriarty fans have suggestions let me know.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 9371 comments The Hypnotists Love Story

message 5: by Meli (last edited May 10, 2018 12:38PM) (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments I'll put in on my list, thank you!

Not to hijack this thread, but what do y'all think of The Husband's Secret? Interesting concept...

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 9371 comments I’ve read every one of them. Starting with THLS first. I really enjoyed the Husband’s Secret. Not everyone did.

message 7: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I think I'd put this ahead of The Husband's Secret. I read that one earlier this year, and has been the most forgettable out of all of hers that I've read. Had a super interesting premise, but it didn't feel as "special" to me.

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Already on my list to read. Moriarty is a "read all" author for me

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 9371 comments I’ve read them all - lol!