What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Female detective or social worker helps an abused woman. Her side kick is a large dog (Great Pyrenees?). Her dog is attacked by a pit bull. Written like a comedy.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (new)

Esther J | 4 comments Hello,
I am trying to help an elderly lady in my community. I know this is a long shot, but I am reaching out for any help. Please keep in mind this lady is very old, and could not remember a lot of details with the exception of one scene in the book.
The book is about a lady (detective or social worker) helping an abuse woman. She has a side kick as a dog. A rather large dog. Maybe something like a Great Pyrenees. The one scene she remembers reading was when the dog was confronted by a pit bull. The pit bull clamped onto the dogs neck. The big dog whipped the pit bull around and broke his back. The woman had to go get scissors and cut the hair on the dogs neck to get the pit bull off.
She said it was written as more of a comedy.
Any one out there have any ideas. I would like to surprise her with it.
Thank you.

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments What a sweet thing for you to do! You'd better put some of those details in your header, though. Maybe "Comedy about social worker with big dog sidekick" or something like that.
Good luck!

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
What year (or decade) did she read it?

Esther, as you saw in the popup box when you posted your comment, please put some plot details in your header. This makes your query a lot easier to solve.

message 4: by Kris (last edited May 11, 2018 06:44AM) (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to edit it using the desktop website, not the mobile app.

Is this a cozy mystery (e.g., Murder Spins a Tale)? Any romance?

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther J | 4 comments She doesn't remember when she read it, I am guess it has been awhile. I couldn't really get any more info about the book. Being that she is in her 90's, it could have been any decade.
Thank you for helping me.

message 6: by Esther (new)

Esther J | 4 comments Kris wrote: "I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to edit it using the desktop website, not the mobile app.

Is this a cozy mystery (e.g., Murder Spins a Tale)? Any romance?"

She doesn't remember any romance. I do believe it is on the mystery side. That is really all she reads. Thank you for helping me with this. I am new to this website.

message 7: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Could it be something from Susan Conant's series, A Dog Lover's Mystery?

https://www.goodreads.com/series/4068...

message 8: by Esther (new)

Esther J | 4 comments Hi there,
Thank you for the suggestion. I went through the list of books... wow... there is a bunch. I guess it could be something she wrote. Who knows. I will have to go through the list with her and see if any of them ring a bell. It is a good place to start. Thank you, much appreciated.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Esther, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Zero to the Bone: A Nina Zero Novel?

There is a scene where her Rottweiler is attacked by a Pitt Bull mix. She hits the pit with a bat, shattering his back. You can search the book on OpenLibrary
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL34296...