Play Book Tag discussion

Until We Are Free: My Fight for Human Rights in Iran
This topic is about Until We Are Free
May 2018: Family Drama > Until We Are Free: My Fight for Human Rights in Iran by Shirin Ebadi ~ 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joni | 625 comments Sometimes you just don't know that a book will fall into a "tag" until you read/listen to it and then it hits you out of nowhere. This is what this book did to me.

An excerpt from Goodreads:
"The first Muslim woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize, Shirin Ebadi has inspired millions around the globe through her work as a human rights lawyer defending women and children against a brutal regime in Iran. Now Ebadi tells her story of courage and defiance in the face of a government out to destroy her, her family, and her mission: to bring justice to the people and the country she loves."

I was listening to this book for the culture challenge that was posted on PBT at the end of last year for this year. And then out of the blue....family drama came in to play...big time.

Shirin fought for human rights of anyone that needed help. For years, she was harassed by the Iranian government for speaking up for people and against the Iranian government. This harassment got worse when Mahmoud Ahmadinejad came into power in 2005. The censorship and persecution intensified greatly.

"The government wiretapped Ebadi’s phones, bugged her law firm, sent spies to follow her, harassed her colleagues, detained her daughter, and arrested her sister on trumped-up charges. It shut down her lectures, fired up mobs to attack her home, seized her offices, and nailed a death threat to her front door." (excerpt from goodreads). None of these things stopped here. Even when her family members started to become involved.

It wasn't until she got a phone call from her husband, than Shirin realized what this government was truly capable of. The government got in contact with an old "lover" of Shirin's husbands. This woman reached out to him as "friendship". But this was all a set up. This woman invited Shirin's husband to her home where she "came on" to him. Little did he know that the government was in the next room recording this act of passion. He was later arrested for having an affair. There are so many more details to this story. But where the family drama really comes in is that the Iranian government tore apart this family just to try and shut up Shirin. This marriage sadly ended in divorce. Her husband finally asked her.....for all those that you fought for, for their rights, why didn't you fight harder for our family?

This was a wonderful done book. Basically don't give up fighting for what you believe in.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2327 comments Sounds very interesting, Joni.

message 3: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments wow -- this does sounds interesting and definitely family drama!!