Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Movies/TV Shows/ Podcasts > People Magazine Investigates: Cults

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments Just a heads up for anyone else who is obsessed with cults, a new show will be airing on the Investigation Discovery channel on Monday June 4. I'm not ashamed to say I squealed like a little girl when I saw the preview. I'm super excited!

message 2: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments I wonder if it will just cover the well known ones, or the more obscure cases...

message 3: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments I'm sure it's going to cover some of the well-known ones because Jim Jones was part of the preview, but I'm hoping they also cover a few of the lesser known ones, also.

message 4: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments I actually really, really hope they cover some obscure ones, because I've been sitting here thinking and I all of the cults I'm aware of ARE the big ones-Jones, Manson, etc. If you guys know of any lesser known cults, throw them on me. I want to educate myself.

message 5: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1113 comments Ashleigh wrote: "I actually really, really hope they cover some obscure ones, because I've been sitting here thinking and I all of the cults I'm aware of ARE the big ones-Jones, Manson, etc. If you guys know of any..."

Ashleigh, I would like to know some of the lesser known cults as well.

message 6: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments Behold the TC group's cult shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

I'm sure there are more titles we can add. Anyone who knows of applicable books should please add them!

message 7: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments Oooooooh thank you tons! Idk why I didn't even consider checking the shelf.

message 8: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments I just found another book on Yahweh Ben Yahweh to stick on there, too.

*goes to check and see if MOVE got included*

message 9: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments Found a bunch more books and added them! The Moonies, another book on MOVE, and a few on weirdo Christian splinter groups too.

message 10: by Fishface (last edited May 10, 2018 07:48PM) (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments Cult names sound off!

The Ant Hill Kids
Synanon
The Unification Church/Moonies
Manson Family
People's Temple
Church of Christ, Scientist
Followers of Christ
Aum Shinrikyo
Heaven's Gate
Est
Scientologists
Hare Krishnas
MOVE

message 11: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments I'm blanking on others. There are so many of these crazy outfits.

Oh! The Death Angels!

message 12: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments I've only heard of a handful of those. Wow. Thanks, Fishface. Definitely gonna have to research these!

message 13: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtackerman) Anyone watching Wild Wild Country? I just started it and had never heard of the cult Rajneeshpuram until this show.

message 14: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments You know, I never would have thought of the KKK as a cult, but that's exactly what it is. And living in the southern US, you would think I would know more about it, but I guess my parents sheltered me from that.

message 15: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments Diane wrote: "Fishface wrote: ...TC group's cult shelf... I'm sure there are more titles we can add. Anyone who knows of applicable books should please add them!

I have added a few, Fishface. If they don't suit..."

I notice that some were already on our shelves and you had to re-add them. Are they all true crime or just memoirs? Bellezza -- or someone -- goes thru and scours the shelves of anything that isn't true crime...

message 16: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments The Way International
Radio Church Of Christ
The Process

Say, does anyone know the name of the cult discussed in My Brother Peter: Murder or Suicide? The author never names the group and I couldn't find any reference online to the group's leader.

message 17: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments Question: did the Children of God change its name to The Family before or after the Manson trial?

message 18: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments Posse Comitatus

message 19: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments Diane wrote: "So, the 'cult stories' have to include a crime, too? I have deleted my entries, since I may not have understood the criteria for the new 'cult stories' list."

Well, don't delete them all wholesale! Cults commit all kinds of crimes like dealing drugs, running guns, smuggling, theft, child abuse, rape, human trafficking, bigamy, terrorist acts, extortion, murder -- if any of that is going on in one of these books it totally counts as true crime. My suggestion is that if a cult is into, say, trafficking children for sex you'd want to add it to the sex crimes and trafficking shelves as well as cult stories. And if there's more than one book on the same cult it should probably get its own shelf under the cult's name. It dawns on me as I write this that the Followers of Christ and Christian Scientists also need to probably go on the bad medicine shelf...

message 20: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments Do we even have a bigamy shelf?

message 21: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments And gaslighting. We have a gaslighting shelf now. The Moonies were ace gaslighters, but the Peoples Temple were not. The Scientologists are wholesale gaslighters, but Tradition, Family and Property are not and neither is the Process. Gaslighting's not a crime but it paves the way for crimes like domestic violence and getting the gaslighted person to commit crimes, so...

message 22: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3435 comments Mod
Fishface wrote: "Do we even have a bigamy shelf?"

If we don't we should!

message 23: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments It's a crime!

message 24: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments We do in fact have a bigamy shelf, with precious few books upon it.

Tradition, Family and Property
Nation of Yahweh
Lev Tahor
Westboro Baptist Church
The Räelian Movement
Yearning For Zion Branch of the LDS Church

message 25: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments Courtney wrote: "Anyone watching Wild Wild Country? I just started it and had never heard of the cult Rajneeshpuram until this show."

I watched it - really well done, I thought. Sheela is a case study in sociopathy. I remembered something about the case when it happened, but this was way more in depth.

message 26: by Diane in Australia (last edited May 12, 2018 08:53AM) (new)

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Just wanted to explain a couple of things, if I may. As I said to Ashleigh, I used to belong to a cult, so, this topic holds a great deal of emotional resonance for me. So much so, that after trying to participate (by posting books/cult names), I have had a very negative reaction, and 'flashbacks', if you like. So, I deleted my books/comments, and I need to step back from this discussion. Thanks for understanding.

I really do enjoy this group, and I'm glad I found you here on Goodreads. :)

message 27: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments Diane wrote: "Just wanted to explain a couple of things, if I may. As I said to Ashleigh, I used to belong to a cult, so, this topic holds a great deal of emotional resonance for me. So much so, that after tryin..."

Diane I'm so sorry. I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say that we all want you to feel comfortable here and not feel distressed.

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Ashleigh wrote: Diane I'm so sorry. I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say that we all want you to feel comfortable here and not feel distressed.

Thanks, Ashleigh. I'm okay now. Just had to get a grip. :)

message 29: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments L'Abri!

Diane, I managed to totally miss where you posted that you used to be a cult member. I hope I haven't said anything to contribute to those flashbacks. I'm terrible at holding back my opinions outside of work...

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Nah, Fishface, it wasn't anything that anyone here said. It was just that digging into these books began to mess with my mind, and when I realized just how much, I knew I had to pull back. Thanks, for your concern.

message 31: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments So other areas of true crime don't get to you so much that you have to bail out? I find reading TC is a way to not only find cases of people whose lives are worse than mine to help put my own woes in perspective, but to find examples of people who have been through similar experiences and would, you know, get what I'm going through if I ever met them.

Diane in Australia | 640 comments True crime, generally, doesn't push any 'flashback' buttons for me. Cult books, generally, don't either. I've read heaps about Jim Jones, for instance. I think it just stirred up memories this time, 'cause I was researching books to post here and, of course, I came across references to the cult I left ... and it just kind of snowballed from there.

I usually wake up, every morning, SO happy to be alive, and SO happy to be safe. But this morning I had to really, really fight to pull myself up out of the nightmares I had been having. That's when I realized that I was letting this stuff get to me, and decided to take a break.

message 33: by Fishface (last edited May 16, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments Fair enough! One thing that continues to be true is that cults are nothing if not a many-splendored thing. You can hardly put Warren Jeffs in the same category as the Ripper Crew, for starters.

Did I mention the Ripper Crew yet? The Ripper Crew!!!

message 34: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14138 comments You know, it dawns on me that more than a few of the cases discussed in Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground smack of cultism.

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments I have all of those People Magazine Investigates: Cults taped on the ID channel but I haven’t watched it yet