Cirque Du Freak-Along discussion

Cirque Du Freak

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison (hardbackhoarder) | 41 comments Mod
Don't forget to list the page number you are on before you begin your discussion piece, so not to give away spoilers! :)

message 2: by jordan calver (new)

jordan calver | 3 comments Just finished book one and realised I am a few days early but hey ho... Cirque Du Freak is perhaps not the gothic masterpiece I remember but still a really fun read written by someone with a love for the monster.

message 3: by Raven (new)

Raven | 3 comments I'm using my Kindle so I'm not sure the page number but I'm in chapter 4 and I have to say I love carnivals and the circus and freakshows (the history of them.) and I'm loving it so far.

message 4: by jordan calver (new)

jordan calver | 3 comments If you are into carnivals and dark stories then check out a short story called "Some Children Wander by Mistake". It is from Nocturnes by John Connolly and is a great little story imo.

message 5: by Alison (new)

I'm just now at Chapter 4 (pg 23) and definitely don't remember it reading so young, especially because I think I remember the end of the series being pretty complex and wild. But the mention of Crepsley already has my heart pounding with anticipation!

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Alison wrote: "I'm just now at Chapter 4 (pg 23) and definitely don't remember it reading so young, especially because I think I remember the end of the series being pretty complex and wild. But the mention of Cr..."

Yeah, Darren starts young and then matures over the course of the series. I'm sure you'll spot the deliberate grammatical mistakes ("and me" instead of "and I") and there are lots of exclamation marks in the early books!!! :-) I was going to include even more like this, but decided that would be too distracting for readers.

message 7: by Brandie (new)

Brandie Ford (youre_something_magical) | 4 comments On page 29 and the nostalgia is already so strong. I feel like a middle schooler that's hiding in bed with a flashlight trying to read just one more chapter on a school night again. Seriously considering calling in to work so I can keep going for the rest of the day...

message 8: by Raven (new)

Raven | 3 comments I hate spiders but I think Madame Octa is my favorite so far.

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Edwards (brennedwards) | 13 comments Im surprised i never read this book before, im listening to it in audio and omg im hooked.

message 10: by Alison (new)

Yup, I am sucked back into this world and excited for more! The foreshadowing in this book is gold! Spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the series all the way through, but the constant use of "destiny" and mentioning Steve's evilness, oh the memories are coming back.

message 11: by Alison (new)

Raven, I think Madame Octa somehow subliminally sparked my love for spiders throughout life. Plus she has a kickass name!

message 12: by Alison (new)

Brenda, I'm assuming the audios are great then? definitely going to have to try them for some of the books!

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Edwards (brennedwards) | 13 comments alison, yes the audio are amazing whoever is reading it,is doing a great job

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Edwards (brennedwards) | 13 comments spoiler maybe.....

I don't know the page number because im listening to it in audiobook form but i believe i am on chapter 9
when the first act came on and they had an accident and the lady husband said you cant have a wild animal like that out in the crowd what if he would of bitten her head off, and mr tall said then she would of been dead, i literally laughed out loud, maybe its my little dark side coming out but i really loved that part.

Marcy Reads on IG (marcyreads) Ugh I completely forgot to start this series...starting now!! Hopefully I’m not too behind 😩

message 16: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Raven wrote: "I hate spiders but I think Madame Octa is my favorite so far."

I've always been rather scared of spiders too, in real life! That's why I decided to give Mr Crepsley a pet arachnid after discarding my original idea (a rat). I thought, what would freak ME out? And Madam Octa was the answer!

message 17: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Alison wrote: "Yup, I am sucked back into this world and excited for more! The foreshadowing in this book is gold! Spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the series all the way through, but the constant use of "dest..."

Watch out for an early mention of Evanna in book 2... :-)

message 18: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Brenda wrote: "spoiler maybe.....

I don't know the page number because im listening to it in audiobook form but i believe i am on chapter 9
when the first act came on and they had an accident and the lady husb..."

I've read that scene out live hundreds of times over the years, and that line almost always draws laughter from the crowd -- so you're far from the only one with a sick sense of humour!! :-)

message 19: by Ellis (new)

Ellis (kamnell) | 24 comments I'm in Chapter 6/page 50

and something that I always found a bit naively cute is Alan Morris pitting a blank piece of paper in his brother's pants pockets because he will think that the ink of the flyer was washed out in the washing machine ^^'
Anotyer thing: How can Darren's parents let him stay up until 10pm or even later?! My parents where still angry sometimes when they found out I'm still awake at 10, but I was 16+ at the time not 11/12!

message 20: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Jana wrote: "I'm in Chapter 6/page 50

and something that I always found a bit naively cute is Alan Morris pitting a blank piece of paper in his brother's pants pockets because he will think that the ink of the..."

Really?!? My parents were never strict on bed times -- I would usually go to bed between 11pm and midnight from the age of 11 or 12 onwards... maybe even younger. They let me watch all the horror movies I wanted at that age too!!! :-)

message 21: by *Layali* (new)

*Layali* (layalireads) I finished this the other day. Only took a couple days to read through the first one! I remember it being SO MUCH scarier when I was a kid reading these, but I still really love them! I never finished the entire series (I think I read through to like book 6?), so I'm excited to read through them all again. :)

message 22: by Raven (new)

Raven | 3 comments I just finished the book. It was better than I expected and after the freak show I couldn't put it down.

message 23: by Ellis (new)

Ellis (kamnell) | 24 comments I only have 100 pages left and one thing that never really appeared to me (probably because I was still young myself) is how young Darren is with his whole being and how he acts and talks.

!Spoilers for after the freak show!

I just imagine this story from Mr. Crepsleys perspective (possible book idea? ;) ) You are a several hundred years old powerful vampire and a kid comes around threatening you to tell the POLICE about who you are and thinks that this is a legitimate threat :')
I see Larten sitting in the old theater, laughing about Darren's note after taking Madame Octa but still waiting it out because this could get interesting so let's see how it plays out

message 24: by Ellis (last edited Aug 04, 2018 04:43AM) (new)

Ellis (kamnell) | 24 comments Jennika I get what you mean.
SPOILER page 240

Especially the scene I'm at right now (where Darren seeks out Mr. Crepsley for the antidote) Larten is described in a really scary way so as a kid, reading it for the first time Larten is terrifying af but knowing how he really is from the later books you can kinda overlook it because it doesn't matter in the grand scheme I think

message 25: by Ellis (new)

Ellis (kamnell) | 24 comments I finished the book just now and I think the graveyard scene at the end is especially powerful with all that it's hinting on. I'm super hyped for the rest of the books now

message 26: by Alison (new)

Marcy wrote: "Ugh I completely forgot to start this series...starting now!! Hopefully I’m not too behind 😩"

nope! feel free to read at your own pace! I'll be checking in on all the discussions throughout the months :)

message 27: by Alison (new)

Brenda wrote: "spoiler maybe.....

when the first act came on and they had an accident and the lady husb..."

hahahah I LOVE THE SNARK in this series. It only gets better ;)

message 28: by Alison (new)

Jana wrote: "I only have 100 pages left and one thing that never really appeared to me (probably because I was still young myself) is how young Darren is with his whole being and how he acts and talks.

!Spoil..."

RIGHT hahaha I kept thinking about this as I was reading. Oh, but as a kid reading these, it made total sense to me too. Like dude definitely isn't going to want anyoneee to know he's a vampire, I bet this unsigned note will scare him hahaha

message 29: by Alison (new)

Jana wrote: "Jennika I get what you mean.
SPOILER page 240

Especially the scene I'm at right now (where Darren seeks out Mr. Crepsley for the antidote) Larten is described in a really scary way so as a kid, r..."

I know there is a series about Crepsley but haven't read it so unsure if this part from his perspective is in those, but I remember I considered Crepsley like my first crush ever (where did I think his attraction came from because now I see he is described as very grotesque hahah). Even now he's like "Who said I was evil?" LIKE YASSS MY KING HE IS KIND

message 30: by Alison (new)

Jana wrote: "I finished the book just now and I think the graveyard scene at the end is especially powerful with all that it's hinting on. I'm super hyped for the rest of the books now"

Agree, especially as an adult because death actually has meaning to me and the idea of losing a kid is heartbreaking. I didn't understand how painful this scene was as a child but I was nearly on the verge of tears this time around.

message 31: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Edwards (brennedwards) | 13 comments just finish book one and i must say the movie gave this book no justice.

message 32: by Mady (new)

Mady DeJulio | 1 comments I didn’t expect to like this as much as I did! This is my first time reading it. I had never even heard about it before. I’m so intrigued that I have to continue!