eBook Miner discussion

Read 4 Review > book review exchange

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc Estes | 7 comments Anyone interested in a review exchange? I read yours and review it and you do the same for me. Its that easy.

marc

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Pauley | 13 comments I am

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Pauley | 13 comments My book is called making it through life and is 99 cents on amazon I will buy your book when I can also

message 4: by Morris (last edited Jul 29, 2014 01:12PM) (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) "Gruesome nightmares fill my head as i head down"

"i" is not supposed to be lower case. I counted that mistake 4 times on the first page. Also...you captialize things for emphasis that should not be capitalized. I suggest that you edit it some more. That is my quick review. I do not have time to review anything which has a grammarical error in the first line. Check out my website with links to four ezine articles I wrote on the subject of book editing. http://www.morrisegraham.com. Hope this is of some help. If after reading my articles, you decide you can't find a proofreader, then buy a subscription to http://www.grammarly.com. Actually, I strongly advise to get a subscription even if you think your document is perfect. Be prepared to do all your editing on your piece during the first month's subscription, and definitely make sure auto-renewal is not checked or they will hit your credit card again after the first month expires: learned that the hard way. Grammarly is a database and service that will expose many weaknesses in you grammar, spelling and writing. It is definitely worth the cost. I had multiple sets of eyes looking at my work, and I read and reread it until I thought my eyes would bleed, and still grammarly found more errors.

Best regards, Morris E. Graham

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc Estes | 7 comments I take it you were commenting on Alex's work?

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex Pauley | 13 comments I just don't have a computer atm to fix the errors the pc that has the file on it complete broke.

message 7: by eBook (new)

eBook Miner (ebookminer) | 544 comments Mod
Hey guys, we encourage this only if the reviews are honest. We don't want this page to advertise authors giving each other 5 star reviews no matter what the quality is which the book demonstrates. We can't condone that. Needless to say we aren't accusing anyone here of doing this, please be mindful though when participating in these exercises.

message 8: by Morris (last edited Jul 30, 2014 05:12AM) (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Yes, "Making It Through Life." I went over to Amazon where his book was being offered and read the sample page. As for exchanging reviews, I think Amazon.com frowns on this on their site. However, if I did agree to exchange reviews, it would be with the understanding that there would be no strings attached: that my review is honest, and I would expect the same.

message 9: by Marc (new)

Marc Estes | 7 comments I know I only want honest reviews.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Pauley | 13 comments Same here I only want honest unbiased reviews also

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Pauley | 13 comments And the sample isn't the best work of mine I made that part at 2 am that is why it is repetitive and has poor grammar

message 12: by Morris (last edited Jul 30, 2014 08:32AM) (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Then I would suggest you unpublish it, fix the errors, have someone view your work again and then republish. (The more people viewing your work in prepublish, the better.) The time to edit is with people viewing the pre-published work so you can fix as many errors as possible first. Once your first edition comes out, give out a few copies and wait for the feedback, pro and con, then go back to the drawing board and rewrite/edit for your second edition. At some point, you and your readers will be satisfied that you're done and you can move on to the next project.

And really: I would not publish anything that you say is substandard with excuses. I don't mean to be hard on you. The best advice I ever got was criticism. "You need to go read good authors and find out what good writing is." That stung, but it energized my writing after I took his advice, and helped me to research and acquire writing skills and tools that I did not have up to that point. My best friend turned out to be my harshest critic.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez I know it's been said already, but it was the first piece of advice I received on Goodreads. Review for Reviews can come off wrong. Especially for up and coming authors. While they may be good natured and honest, to someone that doesn't know better it can seem like buying off authors.
and the second piece of advice is also the editing. Morris said it pretty well, so I won't go into that.

message 14: by eBook (new)

I agree Michael, a better option is the BOTM option that we are running. You get a guaranteed number of reviews and while they vary, they will be honest.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex Pauley | 13 comments Botm the what does that stand for?

message 16: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Book Of The Month maybe? I wil say that despite reducing the cost of my novel to $0.99 and posting in this forum a few times, I have gotten 0 new Amazon reviews.

message 17: by Morris (last edited Jul 31, 2014 05:43AM) (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Let's break for a minute and talk Amazon reviews. Many buyers when they shop look at how many reviews you have, and also they check out the reviewer. One thing that is stamped on the review is whether or not you actually purchased the book from Amazon. It clearly states "verified purchase" on the review. Also when it comes to the reviewer, I can click on the reviewer and it tells me how many books they have reviewed. If this is the only book they've ever reviewed, it suspiciously looks like a friend or relative trying to help you out. If you want to actually be helpful to someone you are reviewing for, set the stage for your reviewing having some weight. I purposely went to Amazon and reviewed every book that I can remember reading to give my review ranking more relevance when I actually review yours. It took some work, but I have about 40 reviews to my name on Amazon, and any time I read a new book, regardless of where I obtain it, I review it on Amazon. (I know, it doesn't say "verified purcase' on that review, but it improves my ranking. I know 40 books doesn't put me in the top 1000 power reviewers, but it doesn't make me look like I'm your brother trying to help you out, either.

message 18: by Morris (last edited Jul 31, 2014 05:55AM) (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) I might be interested in reviewing up to 3 books in the next couple of months. This is not a review trade. If you wish to return the favor, I would appreciate it. I have some boundaries, though. I do not review vampire, zombie, LGBT stuff, anything with explicit sexual themes, chick lit, ot anything with anti-christian themes.

When completing the book, if the review is poor, the author has the option of taking my constructive crticism privately and an option not to have me do a public review. Once I have done the review, I will not change it unless there is a rewrite or second edition. Nothing you say in a review of my book will change my review, good or bad.

Your eBook book must be priced at $0.99 or free through Amazon giveaway. You can send me a PDF copy, but it will not say "verified purchase" unless it goes through Amazon.

My book is named "Warzone: Nemesis" available both in paperback and eBook on Amazon.

Best regards,
Morris E. Graham

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex Pauley | 13 comments Well Morris aside from my grammar I think you would like my poetry

message 20: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) And you may be right. I took an amateur attempt to have my MC in my second book (not published yet) write a song and compose a haiku poem. Polish off the grammar and shows us the jewel inside.

Morris

message 21: by Alex (new)

Alex Pauley | 13 comments Well I shall try and get my computer fixed so that I can fix the grammar.

message 22: by Jan (new)

Jan Sikes (jansikes) | 3 comments I would be very interested in exchanging an honest review for an honest review. Marc, do you want more reviews for "Four Pieces for Power" since there are only four up on Amazon? My newest book, The Convict and the Rose is the one I'd like more reviews on. Send me a message is you are interested in an exchange.

message 23: by eBook (new)

I suggest you nominate your book for the book of the month comp. You can enter the next month etc if you don't win and anyone that votes for the book is obligated to review it. It is a great idea that could generate a lot of genuine reviews.

message 24: by Marc (new)

Marc Estes | 7 comments thanks. I did that yesterday.

message 25: by Morris (last edited Aug 05, 2014 05:56AM) (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Okay. I have a five day giveaway for my book "Warzone: Nemesis" on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EC190BI
This will not cost you anything. Please review my book on Amazon. I would also be willing to review your novel if it is free. You can send me a PDF or worddoc copy, a free book from Amazon, or email me a DRM free copy of your book so I can load it to my reader. I do not review vampire, zombie, LGBT stuff, anything with explicit sexual themes, chick lit, or anything with anti-christian themes.

best regards, Morris E. Graham