SCPL Online NonFiction Book Club discussion

One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter
One day we'll all be dead... > Liking Ourselves

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SCPL (new) - added it

SCPL (st_catharines_public_library) | 542 comments Mod
As the old song says, "growing up is hard to do" and Scaachi had a particularly had time of it. She writes that her supposed baby-weight-that-never-went-away was sighed over by her mother and at first, in response, she wore baggy clothes and tried to become, as she writes, "a tough, genderless sphere." In the next phase of life that followed soon after, she was infuriated by the fact that her arch-nemesis at school received the 'negative male attention' fuelled by a shirt her mother wouldn't let her buy.

The rest of the chapter (Size Me Up) describes a hilarious though cringe-inducing experience about getting stuck in a skirt in a change room and having to be rescued by the saleswoman (make sure you're in an area when you can laugh out loud when you read this!)

In all of these circumstances Scaachi was convinced that clothing would somehow change her person for the better.

I am guilty of counting on clothing to drown out my insecurities as much as the next person and there are pictures from my high school years (the silver pants of 1998!!) that are evidence of that.

Why do you think clothing can have this effect on us? (some more than others!)

What do you think of Scaachi's confessional writing style?

Heidi Madden | 118 comments I’ve read a lot of memoirs so I’m pretty familiar with this writing style (“I Hear She’s a Real Bitch” by Jen Agg which we read last year comes to mind) I generally quite enjoy it and as I get further into the book I am enjoying this one more.

Clothing has a *HUGE* effect. I seem to remember Agg referencing this too. How we dress or how we are made to dress influences both how people see us but also our confidence level and how we see ourselves. Especially for women. I don’t think it can be overstated.

message 3: by SCPL (new) - added it

SCPL (st_catharines_public_library) | 542 comments Mod
Hi Heidi, great comments - thank you!

It's interesting that you make reference to Jen Agg's book as I moderated that book as well! I'm sensing a theme here....

But you're right, clothing can make a huge difference! I find it interesting how clothing during one time in our lives can ensure self-confidence but looking at that same outfit years later can make us wonder "what was I THINKING?!" The social acceptance of specific fashions can play such a incredible role as well.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the book a little more too!

~Marcella