2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)
This topic is about The Amber Spyglass
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials #3)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited May 09, 2018 06:56AM) (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Philip Pullman‘s book, The Amber Spyglass.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Scott, Joan, Susy, Daph, \Retna, Mani, Dania, Benjamin, Suki, Dyln, Mikayla, Sue, Laura, Erikda, Angela, Sarah, Kerry, CharlieAngel

message 2: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 117
Week 2: 117
Week 3: 117
Week 4: 117

Susy (susysstories) Was supposed to read a bit of this book and a bit of All The Light We Cannot See but with just a little over 100 pages to go I don’t think I can put it down, need to know how it ends!

Susy (susysstories) Finished this one.
I liked the story/adventure (although I must say that all that world hopping is quite confusing, making it hard to keep track of who is/what is happening where), but I'm not really a fan of the writing (although that could be, at least partially, due to bad translation, I don't know, haven't read it in English).
The critique on the church and religion is even stronger than in the previous instalments.
Since I find Lyra really annoying, I was glad it focused a lot on the other characters as well. I did notice that more than once Lyra is called irresponsible, thoughtless and a liar. So maybe we're not supposed to like her?? My emotions softened thinking that. But then, just a few sentences ahead, she blurts out all kinds of insupportable nonsense, again...behavior you expect from a 5 year old. When she (view spoiler).
I did like (view spoiler)
(view spoiler).
Again I did find a lot of (small) details that just took away from the experience, like Will's fight with Iorek too easily won (I mean, it is explained, but I just don't feel it), why not close the window after having rescued Lyra, emotions that don't feel real (like Will's emotional reaction after his conversation with Iorek).

So how is everybody else doing?

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I got the audio and am trying it that way but I find myself zoning out on it and not paying attention. I always listen to non-fiction. I thought I'd give fiction another try on audio with this one but it isn't working for me. I got the book from the library also so I may just skim over what I listen to for that day. I think I got up to chapter 4.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I love fiction audiobooks. If I feel like I’m zoning and lost the story I just rewind until I get to a part I remember. I read (or listened) the first few chapters in this book. One thing about this series that makes it different from day Harry Potter is I feel this series is really written for children whereas Harry Potter is written for children and everybody else.

Susy (susysstories) Scott wrote: "I love fiction audiobooks. If I feel like I’m zoning and lost the story I just rewind until I get to a part I remember. I read (or listened) the first few chapters in this book. One thing about thi..."

I feel the writing style is for children but there are some gory details here and there, wouldn’t want my child to read it. And that’s what frustrated me a bit, style and content are not on the same level.

Mani (manisbookcorner) | 138 comments Finished it today. I read and listened to audio book as both were ready for me at library. I have to agree with the others I found it difficult to focus on this book while listening to it as well. Over i thought the whole series wasn't bad.

Would also like to thank the buddy group as since joining up I've managed to read so many more books which I have been put off for a long time. This series being one of them.

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I'm back to listening to it. I need to skim over the actual book though to see what I don't understand.

message 10: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I'm just over a third through the book and I like listening to the audio much better now. I do go to the book and skim what I've listened to just because I feel like I miss some things listening to it.

I am finding this book pretty good.

How is everyone else doing with it?

message 11: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Is there any interest in continuing this series? The Collectors would be next followed by Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North.

message 12: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) I’ve read them already so willing to discuss if anybody is interested.

message 13: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I'm not interested in the other ones.

message 14: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I finally finished it today. I thought there would have been more of an ending. It didn't really end with a bang and the author seems to hate religion. I can see why there is controversy about the book. Also (view spoiler)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I have 'The Collectors' to read so I'll do that one at least. About 50% through this one and hopefully will finish it in the next couple of days.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I think the book wrapped things up but there seemed to be a lot of story after what I think was the climax. I liked the story but didn’t like the authors ‘solution’ to the afterlife.

message 17: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Scott wrote: " I liked the story but didn’t like the authors ‘solution’ to the afterlife."

How do you mean Scott?

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I think Lyra frees the dead by leading them to where they dissolve into nothing. Since there apparently is an afterlife in the books universe but it's damnation for all the dead. So she did free them by letting them dissolve. It would have been happier to remove the damnation part.

message 19: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) I took it that she did with all the changes she accomplished, no more 'guards', knowing the way out, etc.
Removing it all together would mean removing the "false promises" made by religion/the church, and I don't think that's what Pullman would have wanted, it wouldn't fit with his criticism on religion and the church.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments One other thing about this book I find weird or maybe I just missed is the title ‘the amber spyglass’. I didn’t really see where this device played much of a role in the story unlike the items from the titles of the first two books.

message 21: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments Scott wrote: "One other thing about this book I find weird or maybe I just missed is the title ‘the amber spyglass’. I didn’t really see where this device played much of a role in the story unlike the items from..."

I thought it was just me. I felt the same way.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Amber Spyglass (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Philip Pullman (other topics)