21st Century Literature discussion

Book Chat > Women's Prize for Fiction 2018

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 16 comments I couldn't see a thread discussing this prize, so thought I would start one.

The shortlist for the Women's Prize for Fiction is:

Sight by Jessie Greengrass
Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie
Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
The Idiot by Elif Batuman
The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar
When I Hit You: Or, A Portrait of the Writer as a Young Wife by Meena Kandasamy

I don't tend to get books until they come out in paperback, for I am a cheapskate, but I was surprised that some of the books I was most interested in on the longlist didn't make it to the shortlist. The only one currently on my to-read list is The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock.

Has anyone already read any of the shortlist? Thoughts, opinions?

message 2: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2835 comments Mod
We have quite a large overlap with The Mookse and the Gripes group, who have been discussing this shortlist here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 3: by Lyn (new)

Lyn | 42 comments I just read Sing, Unburied, Sing, and thought it was very beautifully written and gave new feeling to an old issue.

message 4: by Doug (new)

Doug I read Home Fire when it was Booker nominated, and loved it... I think it was 2nd for me out of the longlist there. Have copies of both Sight and Mrs. Hancock, but haven't read either... wasn't really interested in the others, but since Idiot was a Pulitzer finalist, will probably read it at some point...

message 5: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2835 comments Mod
Home Fire is still the only one I have read, but I enjoyed it.

message 6: by Neil (new)

Neil | 309 comments I have read Home Fire and The Idiot. And Sight is next up as I have it from the library. However, this is coincidence as I am not trying to read this list!

I loved Home Fire and hated The Idiot.

message 7: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler Neil wrote: "I have read Home Fire and The Idiot. And Sight is next up as I have it from the library. However, this is coincidence as I am not trying to read this list!

I loved Home Fire and hated The Idiot."

And we agree. Again. :-)

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 189 comments i loved Home Fire. I was disappointed with Sight - largely because it sounded like a book I would love and it didn't quite live up to the billing, which means my review is probably unfair.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert | 461 comments Britta wrote: "Neil wrote: "I have read Home Fire and The Idiot. And Sight is next up as I have it from the library. However, this is coincidence as I am not trying to read this list!

I loved Home Fire and hated..."

I really liked Home Fire but I'm enjoying The Idiot, but then again give me a quirky female narrator and I'm a happy person.

message 10: by Meike (new)

Meike (meikereads) I really loved Home Fire, but When I Hit You: Or, A Portrait of the Writer as a Young Wife is also excellent. I'm a little disappointed that H(A)PPY didn't make the shortlist, especially as The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock is not much more than a solid beach read, and Sing, Unburied, Sing already got more than enough attention.

I hated the whiny tone and serious discussion of complete non-issues in The Idiot. I rather would have seen Elmet or The Ministry of Utmost Happiness on the shortlist, these books seem more interesting and daring to me (tbh, I even likedManhattan Beach much better). Well, at least we don't have to deal with the insufferable Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine!

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 189 comments Ah the longlist - Eleanor should have won the award and the Ministry of Utmost Tediousness wins the award for book in most need of an editor prepared to say 'I know we won this book in a 20 way bidding war, but now you've signed the contract please delete most of it and split into two boos'