The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Discussion > Looking for that perfect dystopian novel for my 8th grade class -suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments My admin is asking us to modernize our novels and to increase the lexile level of what we read currently. Needless to say, I am saying goodbye to The Outsiders and hello to ??? I'm struggling with finding a book within the 8th grade lexile (around 1000). Any help would be appreciated with three weeks of summer to go.

message 2: by BriAnna (new)

BriAnna Smith Cooper | 98 comments Something popular like "Hunger Games" or "Divergent" that have movies to go with them? It's been years, but I remember that's the types of books I could actually enjoy. We read The Outsiders, I think that has been on everyone's list for a long time lol.

message 3: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments I don't know what any books lexile is(not gonna lie, been reading since I was three and that's the first time I've seen the word), but I know of people who were in 8-9th grade who enjoyed the A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak, #1) by Darren Shan and The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan series(12 books and 5 books, respectively).

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I would suggest Hunger Games, since it's the best I've read in that genre and lots of different personalities really enjoy it. But the downside of a book so popular is that many of the kids may have already read it and/or seen the movie and won't feel the need to read it in your class.

The girls would probably really enjoy The Selection, and I haven't read it yet, but the boys might really like Maze Runner.
There's also Life as We Knew it and Gone, but again, I haven't read those so I don't know how good or bad they are.

message 5: by Danni (new)

Danni (luciepurr) | 3 comments For less mature readers I would say something like The Giver (The Giver #1) by Lois Lowry , but for those of 8th grade level here are some suggestions.
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins
Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman
Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant (Is quite long)
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner
There are quite a few out there, but a lot of them have swearing and sexual references/violent ones so it also really depends on the schools attitude towards things like that. There are plenty of 8th graders that can handle that kind go thing but plenty who can't.

message 6: by Bruno (new)

Bruno Hache (katou) | 9 comments can't go too wrong with "The Giver", especially that a movie adaptation is coming out soon.

message 7: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments All fantastic suggestions, pretty much agree with all of them :)

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 203 comments My school did The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins and The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner for Novel Studies in Grade 7. You can't go wrong with either of these.
Divergent's great, but it's quite long.
Unwind and Gone are both fantastic reads, but a bit gory and creepy. If you have squeamish readers, approach these with caution.

message 9: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Hubbert | 4 comments I loved the Legend series... Legend, Prodigy, and Champion by Marie Lu.
Shatter me series by Tahereh Mafi
another trilogy that I enjoyed was Matched,Crossed,Reached by Ally Condie.
now I am not sure you can consider this a dystopia novels but The Lunar Cronicals by Marissa Meyer are fantastic. The first one is Cinder. I would think a cyborg Cinderella type character would appeal to 8th graders. I'm follow for more suggestions for my daughter and myself. I look forward to the feedback!

message 10: by Madison (new)

Madison Adams (awesomesauceadams) I would recommend the Park Service Trilogy, by Ryan Winfield, or the Uglies series, by Scott Westerfeld. I also loved the Immortal Devices series by Cassandra Clare. Seeing that I'm in eighth grade, I don't know if this helps or not. :)

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books (jessilovesbooks) | 364 comments I'd suggest The Darkest Minds (870) and Cinder (790).

Those were the highest lexiles I could find for dystopian books I've liked. A little sad to discover I've apparently been reading at a 6th grade level! lol

message 12: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Madison wrote: "I would recommend the Park Service Trilogy, by Ryan Winfield, or the Uglies series, by Scott Westerfeld. I also loved the Immortal Devices series by Cassandra Clare. Seeing that I'm in eighth grade..."

Love The Uglies!

message 13: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments Has anyone recommended the Harry Potter series yet? I feel like kids that age would love it.

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 203 comments Most kids have probably already read it. lol

message 15: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments I don't know, tons of kids don't do much reading. As popular as it is, most people I know haven't read the books. I took this as a list for kids to have to read for class(correct me if I'm wrong, please), so I'm thinking along the lines of books that could hook non-readers and bring them over to the book side beyond just that class.

message 16: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments I do admit, though, that the Potter books aren't exactly "modern", so they still may not work in this topic, but I thought it was at least worth throwing out there.

message 17: by Bruno (new)

Bruno Hache (katou) | 9 comments I will also toss in Lissa Price' Starters. I know of a middle school who used it as a class thing.

message 18: by BriAnna (new)

BriAnna Smith Cooper | 98 comments I love Harry Potter, it's what got me reading at a young age. The only problem with that is some people say it's not appropriate for school. I personally think that's ridiculous but I remember that always being a big deal about us reading them in school :/

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 203 comments Interesting, Tommy.
Until January (when I read the series) I was the only one in my 10th grade class who hadn't read them. So... I don't know. I guess it varies depending on where you are.