What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book, read in the '80s or early '90s, mystery about Transcendentalism. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret (new)

Margret Rosenberg | 11 comments I believe it was a paperback, possibly a trade paperback. The mystery was a search for missing family members who had been kidnapped by magical means, and all the clues had something to do with the early transcendentalists and their beliefs.

The clues involved, um, visions?, something like that, that allowed the children to experience things from the past lives of their parents and may have involved meeting people like Emerson and Thoreau.

There was a house with an enclosed widow's watch, I believe somewhere in New England, and a wedding gown that was made of real snowflakes which had been magically transformed to lace - each one was different.

In the garden of the house was a reflective gazing ball.

SPOILER:

The missing family members had been magically imprisoned in the gazing ball.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Sounds like The Diamond in the Window or one of the sequels.

message 3: by Margret (last edited May 09, 2018 11:58AM) (new)

Margret Rosenberg | 11 comments Hmm. Might be The Swing in the Summerhouse; I'll have to find it and see. Regardless, I think I want to read the entire series. I do like a good children's book.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
I really enjoyed this series as a youngster. There were only two books then. I do agree that either The Diamond or The Swing is your book.
Be sure to let us know for sure which one it is! We crave closure!

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Margret, did you determine if either of these was your book?