Around the World 2018 discussion

International Book Reviews > Man Tiger- Eka Kurniawan- Indonesia

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kdubbs) | 25 comments Mod
I liked the idea, I liked the story, I liked the characters, but it had this odd way of moving around in time, not for any real discernible purpose, and it bugged me because I often felt like ‘ugh, I already read this’. Also it felt a little, thin. The kid really has a tiger inside him, which could be pretty cool, but it avoided directly talking about that much and focused on the story, which, of course, explained the tiger. Anyway, an interesting book, a quick read, worth it.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Martin | 8 comments Mom and I were just taking about how so many books now are playing with time. Like they start with a tragedy and then tell about it. Americanah is kind of like how you described Man Tiger. It jumps around in time and is often repetitive. Yet I’m still loving it . . . And yes still reading it! I may need 12 years to read my 12 books. Lol.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kdubbs) | 25 comments Mod
You can have as many years as you want! Just keep talking to me about them on the Internet!!! One thing: I believe the intro of Man Tiger explained a bit about the author’s attempt to re-create, or include elements of oral storytelling. That made the time sequencing make more sense. Because it was like ‘oh, but before that, his dad....’ and ‘so after what I was talking about before, this happened.’

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Martin | 8 comments Interesting - yes that sounds like storytelling. Americanah is a little different. It starts in the present then explains how Ifumelu got to where she is, but moves to the present periodically. You’d love this book. There are some excellent observations about class and race in America. One day I’ll
Pass it on.