Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Blake, Kendare--Antigoddess informal buddy Read; starts May 15,2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Antigoddess by Kendare Blake.

description

Synopsis
Old Gods never die…

Or so Athena thought. But then the feathers started sprouting beneath her skin, invading her lungs like a strange cancer, and Hermes showed up with a fever eating away his flesh. So much for living a quiet eternity in perpetual health.

Desperately seeking the cause of their slow, miserable deaths, Athena and Hermes travel the world, gathering allies and discovering enemies both new and old. Their search leads them to Cassandra—an ordinary girl who was once an extraordinary prophetess, protected and loved by a god.

These days, Cassandra doesn’t involve herself in the business of gods—in fact, she doesn’t even know they exist. But she could be the key in a war that is only just beginning.

Because Hera, the queen of the gods, has aligned herself with other of the ancient Olympians, who are killing off rivals in an attempt to prolong their own lives. But these anti-gods have become corrupted in their desperation to survive, horrific caricatures of their former glory. Athena will need every advantage she can get, because immortals don’t just flicker out.

Every one of them dies in their own way. Some choke on feathers. Others become monsters. All of them rage against their last breath.

The Goddess War is about to begin.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
Reserved

message 3: by Devann (last edited May 08, 2018 07:50PM) (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments Hey guys, this book is literally number 6 on my TBR so it's been on there awhile lol. I'm excited to finally read it and hope some more people join in!

If you want to kind of get a feel for the author's writing and the universe to decide if you want to read this book then I would recommend you read the two short stories set in the same universe - The Dogs of Athens and When Gods and Vampires Roamed Miami. They're both free to read on TOR's website and probably only eight or so pages apiece so they won't take up a lot of your time and they're both set before the main story from what I understand.

message 4: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Oh cool! I'd definitely buddy read this if I can get a copy. I'll post again when I get my hands on one

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments Looking forward to this one. I'll look up those short stories this afternoon when I get a chance.

message 6: by Lauri (new)

Lauri (otwlauri) | 1362 comments Can I jump in, too? I currently have it in one of my shopping bags full of books!

message 7: by M (new)

M Beal | 1554 comments I am in for this one. Going to pick it up tonight

message 8: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments Lauri wrote: "Can I jump in, too? I currently have it in one of my shopping bags full of books!"

The more the merrier! I'm as excited about this one as I am about the Kate Daniels series rereads. I love anything related to Greek mythology, and this one looks promising.

message 9: by Lauri (new)

Lauri (otwlauri) | 1362 comments Thank you! It sure does look promising! Have you read Anna Dressed in Blood? I was so impressed by it that while waiting for the sequel to come in at my public library, I picked up Antigoddess! I want to read all her work now...

message 10: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments I read Anna Dressed in Blood last October and while I thought it was okay and I do plan on reading the sequel [probably this October lol] I wasn't like ...blown away by it.

I also read Three Dark Crowns a few months ago and I was kind of eh on that as well right up until the big plot twist at the end [which I totally called by the way!]. I think I'll probably like the 2nd book in that series better because hopefully things will pick up more.

But this series I really liked the short stories for and I like mythology inspired urban fantasy better than ghost stories and high fantasy anyway so I'm hoping I will be more into it than the other two series. Although I did give both of those book 3 stars, but I'm hoping this will be a 4!

message 11: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments Lauri wrote: "Thank you! It sure does look promising! Have you read Anna Dressed in Blood? I was so impressed by it that while waiting for the sequel to come in at my public library, I picked up A..."

I'm not a big horror fan so I haven't tried that one yet, but I may reconsider if I really like her writing style.

message 12: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I've got the book from the library!
Keen to read now

message 13: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I won't be able to start this book probably until the 18th of May as I have an assignment due this week...

message 14: by Devann (last edited May 13, 2018 08:13AM) (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments that's ok, i'm gonna try to read slowly lol also i might not actually get started til the 16th anyway

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Oh my gosh, I thought I had already signed up for this one. I ordered and got my book but guess I forgot to say I'm in!

I'm reading for points for Team Hermione Granger...woot woot!

I know this is an informal read, but is there going to be any kind of loose reading schedule or simply post when we feel like it?

I hope we all love this one and it's a good read for us.

message 16: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments they're pretty much just read it as you feel like it. i spent a large part of today reading chamber of secrets but i'm gonna try to do at least a few chapters from this tonight

message 17: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments Vicki wrote: "Oh my gosh, I thought I had already signed up for this one. I ordered and got my book but guess I forgot to say I'm in!

I'm reading for points for Team Hermione Granger...woot woot!

I know this i..."

I'm planning to read around 50 or so pages a day and then check in on the thread with my thoughts. I'll check back in this evening after dinner once I have time to get started.

message 18: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments Chapters 1 - 4

Only four chapters in and I'm already hooked on the story. It may take some effort to spread the book out over the week.

Athena - (view spoiler)

Hermes - (view spoiler)

Cassandra - I'm not quite sure what to make of Cassandra yet. (view spoiler)

Poseidon - I love Poseidon, mostly because of the Percy Jackson series. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i just went ahead and read chapters 1-4 as well. i'm not hooked yet but it is fairly interesting so i'm hopeful. although honestly i hope the two groups of characters meet up sooner rather than later because i find athena and hermes infinitely more interesting than cassandra at this point.

i don't really have many thoughts as not a lot has happened yet but i always find greek myth retellings very interesting with regards to who the author decides to make the good guys / bad guys because all of the greek gods are just ...the absolute worst. i mean they're all just really truly awful so it's interesting to see what characteristics each particular author chooses to up or downplay.

i'm also a huge fan of the percy jackson series, although even riordan couldn't make me like poseidon lol. i am rather fond of apollo [and artemis] because of his books though so i'm interested to see which gods end up showing up later in this series.

i do like hermes generally but i mean ...he's the god of thieves so of COURSE i do lol not sure how i feel about him in this iteration yet because he hasn't really done anything except ...expect athena to do everything. but then again that sounds about right. i'm actually not generally a huge fan of athena either [i'm a big medusa fan so athena and poseidon are kind of on my shit list generally lol] but she is very interesting in this so far.

message 20: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments I'm also having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that (view spoiler)

message 21: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments Yeah I also found that kind of hard to believe, of any of them like you said, but especially of him. Maybe he's got some ulterior plot / motive going on dun dun duuuuun lol

message 22: by Vicki (last edited May 16, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Chapters 1-5

Athena (Gray Eyes), Hermes and Demeter (view spoiler)

Cassandra: (view spoiler)

I assume that the gods/goddesses are trying to (view spoiler)

I never pictured Athena with a nose ring, but why not? But a whore? LOL She has several realms, one being the goddess of wisdom, so I’m surprised that she asks Demeter for advice.

Persephone, queen of the underworld, said they are (view spoiler)

Bar scene: Somehow I don’t picture(view spoiler)

Question about Aidan: (view spoiler)

I'm quite enjoying this so far, but it is graphic!

message 23: by Devann (last edited May 16, 2018 10:41AM) (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments figured i would read another 4 chapters, seems like a nice sized chunk to break it down into and it will make it last out the week.

chapter 5: (view spoiler)

chapter 6: not sure how i feel about [waves hand vaguely] all that, but more people are showing up which is good, i was kind of worried that this would only have a few character in it since they are supposed to be dying out and all

chapter 7: (view spoiler)

chapter 8: i wonder why some of the gods seem to have retained their powers fairly well while others are almost dead [or already dead]. are the more powerful ones doing something to stay that way or is there an element of 'belief' to it?

anyway, i'm still pretty meh about this book, like it's interesting but it's definitely not completely pulled me in yet. although that seems to be how i feel about all this author's books so i guess we'll see lol

[edit: (view spoiler)]

message 24: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments @Vicki i was also wondering what was up with (view spoiler). the ones for athena and demeter at least make sense considering their godly aspects but i'm so confused on hermes'. although he's the god of about a million things so maybe it does make sense in some way i'm forgetting.

and i was also kind of ???? over demeter's attitude to athena and the names she called her, but i guess it was supposed to be like ...demeter is stuck in the past and athena has adapted? idk

and re: aidan (view spoiler)

message 25: by Apoorv (last edited May 17, 2018 03:17PM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Chapters 1 - 5

Now, I am definitely in sort of fish out of water here. I have not read a whole lot of literature about Greek mythology before this, so except knowing the names and their basic powers, I have very less background knowledge of the Gods.

Having said that, the first 5 chapters have intrigued me for sure. While, the word world is pulling me in, it has not hit me yet as to how serious an issue it is, with what is happening to the Gods.

Athena - (view spoiler)

Cassandra - (view spoiler)

Honestly, I am going to be reading a whole lot of all your comments, who seem to have read a bunch about Greek Mythology and read some reference material, so that I relish what I am reading. Any recommendations? :P

message 26: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments honestly i have been interested in mythology for so long that i'm not really sure where i like ...started with learning about it i guess. i love all of rick riordan's books but those i feel are kind of better if you're already mildly familiar with the mythology to start with. i feel like there was just a book by someone fairly well known that was just a retelling of the greek myths but i can't remember who it was by. i never added it because i felt like i would just be reading stuff i already know and i generally like to read things like this where they put it in a new / modern setting.

oh! it was Mythos: A Retelling of the Myths of Ancient Greece by stephen fry. i haven't read it but it seems like a lot of my friends have so that might be an interesting place to start, i'm sure it would be entertaining lol

message 27: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Devann wrote: "oh! it was Mythos: A Retelling of the Myths of Ancient Greece by stephen fry. i haven't read it but it seems like a lot of my friends have so that might be an interesting place to start, i'm sure it would be entertaining lol .."

Oh, I love Stephen Fry!
I did not know he wrote Greek mythology as well. Wow!
Thank you, Devann! I am certainly interested in getting a more-than general perspective into the subject, and this might just be a great starting point!

*logs into all his Overdrive accounts* :)

message 28: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Devann wrote: "figured i would read another 4 chapters, seems like a nice sized chunk to break it down into and it will make it last out the week.

chapter 5: [spoilers removed]

chapter 6: not sure how i feel ab..."

Regarding your chapter 5 comment...(view spoiler)

message 29: by Vicki (last edited May 16, 2018 03:38PM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Apoorv wrote: "Buddy Read
Team Gilderoy Lockhart

Now, I am definitely in sort of fish out of water here. I have not read a whole lot of literature about Greek mythology before this, so except knowing the names a..."

Edith Hamilton is good. :) Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes

message 30: by Deanna (last edited May 16, 2018 06:43PM) (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments Vicki wrote: "Chapters 1-5

Athena (Gray Eyes), Hermes and Demeter [spoilers removed]Cassandra: [spoilers removed]

I assume that the gods/goddesses are trying to [spoilers removed]

I never pictured Athena with..."

Re: Hermes - (view spoiler)

Cassandra - Originally Apollo was in love with Cassandra. She promised to sleep with him in exchange for the gift of prophecy; and when she didn't keep her end of the bargain, he cursed her gift so that no one would believe her prophecy. (view spoiler)

message 31: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments Devann wrote: "figured i would read another 4 chapters, seems like a nice sized chunk to break it down into and it will make it last out the week.

chapter 6: not sure how i feel ab..."

The Cassandra part of the story line is definitely still a bit meh. (view spoiler)

I'm glad to see more characters showing up as well. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments I only read chapters 5 - 7 today.

I feel a little sorry for Poseidon now. (view spoiler)

The other side according to Athena is (view spoiler)

message 33: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments @Deanna (view spoiler)

message 34: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I’ve read chapters one and two.

So far I’m okay with it.
The chapter with Cassandra I found to be good for a Y.A. Novel. She seems just like a normal teenager but with an extra ability.

Athena and Hermes - I’m not too sure how I feel. I feel like Athena isn’t Athena entirely. As she’s one of my favourite goddesses (I named my rabbit after her), I’m probably going to judge how she is, more harshly than others. They are Gods. They’ve been alive for so long, I don’t think they’d speak as they do.
I found Demeter’s portrayal interesting - where she is and her character, and especially how they found her.

message 35: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Deanna wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Chapters 1-5

Athena (Gray Eyes), Hermes and Demeter [spoilers removed]Cassandra: [spoilers removed]

I assume that the gods/goddesses are trying to [spoilers removed]

I never pictur..."

Thank you, I didn't know (or remember) that about Cassandra. That will help me with the reading moving forward.

message 36: by Vicki (last edited May 17, 2018 10:16AM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Deanna wrote: "Devann wrote: "figured i would read another 4 chapters, seems like a nice sized chunk to break it down into and it will make it last out the week.

chapter 6: not sur..."

Oh. My. Gosh. I love The Odyssey and Odysseus. I haven't gotten that far into the book yet, but I do know that Odysseus went to the land of the Cyclopes and there he insulted and taunted Polyphemus because he got himself and his men got trapped in Polyphemus's home (cave) and the way they escaped was first they made a stake and got Polyphemus drunk and then they poked his one eye, which in essence blinded him, and then Odysseus tied all his men under rams and he hung onto Polyphemus's prize ram and when the Cyclops removed the stone (door) from the cave to let the rams out to graze, the men all got out. Then when they went to the ocean to sail away, Polyphemus ripped off a mountaintop (guess he was huge and strong lol) and threw it at Odysseus's boat and it caused a tidal wave. But Odysseus, being who he was, taunted Polyphemus by basically making fun or him for letting "puny Odysseus" get away from Poseidon's son, Polyphemus. I love The Odyssey so much so I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this book. I taught the story to my freshmen, but we only read 6 of the books (sections) so I don't know the entire story of his journey.

message 37: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments @Vicki i am always kind of in two minds about Odysseus but then i feel that way about most figures from greek mythology because almost every single one of them is a massive tool in one way or another lol so it kind of just depends on how each of them is being portrayed in any particular book. he hasn't done a lot in this book as of chapter 8 but i guess i'll see how i feel once i read a little more

message 38: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Vicki wrote: "Edith Hamilton is good. :) Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes"

This is perfect! Thanks, Vicki!
I most certainly know what my next reading binge is going to surround around. :)

message 39: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Tina wrote: "They are Gods. They’ve been alive for so long, I don’t think they’d speak as they do.."

This is interesting. The way they are conversing, in a rather casual colloquial way is what is catching the most attention in my books, so far. It's sort of cool to see Gods talking like teenagers would. :P :P

message 40: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments I finished chapters 8 - 10 today.

Chapter 8 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 10 - (view spoiler)

message 41: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments Apoorv wrote: "Tina wrote: "They are Gods. They’ve been alive for so long, I don’t think they’d speak as they do.."

This is interesting. The way they are conversing, in a rather casual colloquial way is what is ..."

They have been going their separate ways and blending with humans for centuries. It doesn't really bother me that they sound like teenagers.

message 42: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments ok i read four more chapters. i'm gonna be honest, the more i read of this the less i like it, but it still could totally turn around and wow me at the end so we'll see

chapter 9: wow that was reaaaaally short lol not much to say about that actually

chapter 10: uuuuuugh noooooo (view spoiler)

chapter 11: actually the more things happen the more i find it so unbelievable that they all have teenage forms. i mean are they teenagers because their power is fading? because otherwise why would they CHOOSE to look like teenagers. i know the real answer is 'because YA books are popular right now' but that's not like ...an in-universe answer lol. YA books are so hit or miss to me and i'm kind of starting to lose patience.

chaper 12: [loud groaning] see complaints from chapter 10 lol also (view spoiler)

message 43: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments @Deanna i agree with you about the thing in chapter 10. i guess the gods are probably out of it bc they are so low on power but they all do seem to be acting really out of character / making very amateur mistakes

message 44: by Apoorv (last edited May 17, 2018 03:53PM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Chapters 6 - 10

Whoa! A whole lot happened in the last 5 chapters. Honestly, for a moment, if I forget that these are Gods, all that is happening reminds me of Glass Sword and King's Cage, in parts where one team is trying to find the other to avenge/revenge/fight for something. So, so far literally the only redeeming factor has been that these characters are not regular folks, but actually Gods - else, it is a pretty run of the mill story.

(view spoiler)

Also, (view spoiler)

Honestly, half way through, and so far it is a 3-star read for me. I like that the action is picking up (sort of what I imagine to be the main theme given it is a God war), but, I hope that things start happening more frequently and the narrative shapes up more significantly for me to go beyond that rating.

Having said that, I am trying to Google-teach myself about Greek Mythology and all the Gods briefly on the side, and it certainly helps understanding the various motives and more so the relations, but I am pretty sure I'm missing out of a few plotlines.

message 45: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments @Apoorv it's a 3 star for me as well right now. i don't hate it but it's nothing special

also (view spoiler)

message 46: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I've read up to chapter 11.

I should have said this before, I've been learning about the Greek Gods since Grade 1 in Primary School. I'm Greek, I've gone to Greek school and every year they'd be mentioned in my lessons somehow. I've been obsessed about them and for a period of time, I thought they were real. So, my expectations are high and thoughts are probably harsh. I apologise if this upsets anyone.

Hermes - I agree with you all that Hermes' disease is out of place. Healing is Apollo's thing, so it would make sense if Apollo had that disease.
If you open you're mind and squint your eyes, I guess you could see it like this:
Hermes is the trickster god, the god of messages, travel, thieves and graves. In the ancient days, he'd need to be in top health to send message after message to all the gods, demigods and others. If he had the skin eating disease then, his delivery performance could fall (doubtful as he's an immortal god). Perhaps the disease is affecting him like that now but I haven't seen evidence of it (unless I missed something).
I don't think we've had much time to get to know Blake's representation of Hermes. He doesn't seem that important right now.
I'm reading too much into it. :/

Poseidon - I don't even know what's going on with him... He's gone insane for a God. To me, he's not really Poseidon.

Zues - WHERE IS HE?

Athena - I have begun to accept that she's a teenage version of Athena in a Y.A. book, but I don't like it.

@Deanna I agree. She's been a goddess for yonks, she's brimming with wisdom of all those years, she's a warrior goddess - this should be enough for her to assess danger at all points including getting in a car. Yes, she's human and is much weaker, but I don't think it's possible for a god to change a habit so in-grown just because they're a human.

Odysseus - Yay for a hero being included! He better get over his want for Athena and vice versa.

Cassandra and Aidan - Not much happening there still.

Artemis - I found it appropriate at how she's going to die. It doesn't make it any easier to know that though.

So far, I'm 3 stars enjoying the book. I think the representation on the Gods are a bit sloppy so far. It's not gripping me thoroughly yet.
We're still missing information from Zeus, Hades, Hephaestus, Hestia and Dionysus. I wonder how Dionysus is suffering?

message 47: by Tina ❣ (last edited May 18, 2018 03:51AM) (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Deanna wrote: "Apoorv wrote: "Tina wrote: "They are Gods. They’ve been alive for so long, I don’t think they’d speak as they do.."

This is interesting. The way they are conversing, in a rather casual colloquial ..."

I get what you're saying. It makes sense that they sound like teenagers when they are teenagers in a book for young adults.

I guess what bothers me is the lack of their actual age showing through clearly. I saw it from Hera and Demeter, which makes sense as they're Titans as well.

message 48: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Apoorv wrote: "Tina wrote: "They are Gods. They’ve been alive for so long, I don’t think they’d speak as they do.."

This is interesting. The way they are conversing, in a rather casual colloquial way is what is ..."

I see your point Apoorv. I haven't come across the Gods of Olympus being portrayed as teenagers, so I do find it a little interesting in how they are.

message 49: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i'm actually kind of disappointed by how underdeveloped hermes is in this. i know the series is called goddess war but really it's just making me want some series like this [only better. no offense lol] w/ hermes as the protag bc i'm like 'why has no one thought of that before???' i am forever cursed to just focus on side characters lol

also @Tina don't worry i am like the queen of harsh comments so i definitely won't get offended by people having problems with this book [or any book really, even if it's one of my favorite books i can usually see where people are coming from if they give their reasons]

message 50: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2962 comments Devann wrote: "i'm actually kind of disappointed by how underdeveloped hermes is in this. i know the series is called goddess war but really it's just making me want some series like this [only better. no offense..."

I agree. He's a trickster and the god of thieves. He could add so much more to the story.

My book rating has dropped to around 3 stars as well.

The Cassandra plot line feels like filler. It's not helping me get to know or like the characters, and it's doing nothing to contribute to the plot line at this point.

The Athena storyline has enough unanswered questions to keep me wondering what will happen next (although if the goddess of wisdom and the Greek hero who is supposed to be known for cunning and strategy don't start making better choices I may not read the next book in the series.)

You are all a little ahead of me, so I'll read some extra chapters and catch up this afternoon.

« previous 1