1000 Books Before You Die discussion

State of the Nation > Little Dorrit Book the second - Riches

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1047 comments Mod
Please comment here on the second volume of Little Dorrit

message 2: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 275 comments Finished it today! I loved the beginning of the book, the end was ok - but it really dragged in the middle. Perhaps it was the style when it was written.

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

That was fast, Trisha!

message 4: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 275 comments Rosemarie wrote: "That was fast, Trisha!"

I’ve spent a LOT of time reading! I got to the point where I just wanted to finish it. Luckily today I went out, so had time to read on 3 trains & also in a coffee shop. When I got home I decided to continue reading as I was so close to the end of the book.

message 5: by Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (last edited May 20, 2018 08:02AM) (new)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) Oh my gosh, this book is taking forever!

I like it when I get some dedicated time to read it, but just knowing I'm only a little more than half way through is discouraging. Still plugging away though.

message 6: by Trisha (last edited May 20, 2018 09:59AM) (new)

Trisha | 275 comments Bryan wrote: "Oh my gosh, this book is taking forever!

I like it when I get some dedicated time to read it, but just knowing I'm only a little more than half way through is discouraging. Still plugging away tho..."

Keep going! Once you’re more than half way you know you’ll get through it. There’s more happening too, so it’s interesting.

message 7: by Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (last edited May 20, 2018 04:39PM) (new)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) Trisha wrote: "There’s more happening too, so it’s interesting. ..."

That's good to know. I'm a few chapters into the second part, and LD is stuck in Venice pining away for Clennam.

I'm a bit on the fence about this one so far--there are passages that I really like, and characters too (Pancks, I think, is pretty entertaining). But between the over-the-top satire of the Barnacles and the super sugary attitude of Little Dorrit, I find myself alternately wanting to skip some sections or underline others so I can come back and read them again.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) Finished this one finally. It seemed like this book took forever to read, even though I enjoyed it more than I didn't. Not my favorite Dickens, but pleasant.

message 9: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 275 comments Bryan wrote: "Finished this one finally. It seemed like this book took forever to read, even though I enjoyed it more than I didn't. Not my favorite Dickens, but pleasant."

That’s good news, Bryan!

message 10: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 99 comments Liking this more now I'm into the second part. Seems to be more happening. Feel the book is longer than needs to be, as it was serialised it's more money, but editing would help.

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

I have just started this part and will be reading it faster than part one, I hope. That took me a long time.

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 361 comments Mod
I’ve come to appreciate the novel so much in retrospect. It was a long read, but there’s so much in it that will stick with you. One thing is definitely the way the two parts expose the characters.

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

I find Amy's family pretty useless after 5 chapters, with exceedingly short memories, except for her uncle, who knows her true worth.

message 14: by Rosemarie (new)

I finally finished the book. I enjoyed the ending.

message 15: by Rosemarie (new)

I finally finished the book. I enjoyed the ending.