Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion


72 views
Love

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gianna (last edited Jul 29, 2014 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gianna Do you guys think as readers of this book think that lily should've chose James or snape to marry. Which one does she deserve more? I think she should've gone with professor snape than James because James was very mean to snape and he was naughty. Snape was a sweat, kind boy who just wanted a friend, but no lily had to choose James which broke snakes heart dearly. That poor thing! You can only respond twice, no more than twice, twice is enough!


Eliza Snape was a very tragic figure, but he wasn't nice and kind. He was a racist, and he practiced the dark arts, and he wasn't willing to change.

She didn't have to choose either James or Snape just because they had crushes on her. If James hadn't shown a better side of himself (which Snape wasn't able to do) she wouldn't have given him a chance and subsequently fallen in love with him.

Snape had that horrible home life and he was taught to hate muggles and people who weren't pure blood, which includes himself. He was broken. I think maybe he didn't recognize that he can't really love Lily while hating her "kind" because he hates himself as well; hate and love were never separate for him. What's even sadder is that he was never able to move on from his first crush ever, even as an adult, even after she married someone else. It's very, very sad, but I think Lily made the right choice. Snape couldn't have made her happy.


Iris I do not think she should have chosen either. They were both flawed and prideful. But alas we cannot choose who we love, and in the end Lily gave in to her attraction to James, which you know she was fighting for years.


Roger Completely agree with Eliza. Personally I find this question to be so stupid, Snape is a dirtbag who didn't deserve Lilly. Sure Snape really helped defeat Voldemort but he didn't do it for any good reason, he did it for revenge. If Voldemort had just killed Harry or just killed Harry and James he would have still been at Voldemort's side.


Roger Iris wrote: "I do not think she should have chosen either. They were both flawed and prideful. But alas we cannot choose who we love, and in the end Lily gave in to her attraction to James, which you know she w..."

I disagree with this a little bit, we seem James as he was an arrogant teenager, not the best of time for most people. From everything that comes up throughout the book he matures into a caring man and a good father. If that's the case then there really isn't any reason for her not to fall in love with him.


message 6: by Anna (last edited Jul 29, 2014 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I agree completely with you, Roger.

Lily did not just drop Snape and then immediately start dating James out of spite.

Lily started dating James a few years later. Not a few days. A few YEARS. James was very immature when they first met. Lily saw that. She wasn’t stupid. He was arrogant and a bully, and notice that she didn’t put up with that. She told him to his face that he was in the wrong. It was only when he had grown up and matured that she started dating him. Lily wasn’t the kind of girl who would scold a bully and then start dating the bully. She knew who she was, which was why she ended her friendship with Snape. She told him he was in the wrong. He didn’t believe her and wanted to keep doing what he was doing. It was scaring her, and she told him so. He showed disregard for her feelings. It was best for her to end it.

Snape made some bad decisions. Bad decisions have consequences. In his case, the consequence was losing his friend. He was hanging around with Death Eaters and beginning to behave like them. Calling a friend a Mudblood (or any other derogatory names) doesn't seem like the action of a friend to me. Lily was hurt by that, too. She was a sweet, kind girl who just wanted a friend, but no, Snape had to choose the Death Eaters which broke Lily's heart dearly. That poor thing.


Eliza Iris wrote: "I do not think she should have chosen either. They were both flawed and prideful..."

Everyone has flaws, so she shouldn't have tried to hold out for a perfect person.


Eliza Eliza wrote: "...She was a sweet, kind girl who just wanted a friend, but no, Snape had to choose the Death Eaters which broke Lily's heart dearly. That poor thing. "

This.


TheBohemianBookworm Gianna wrote: "Do you guys think as readers of this book think that lily should've chose James or snape to marry. Which one does she deserve more? I think she should've gone with professor snape than James becaus..."

I think Lily did love Snape but she didn't admit it to herself. Snape and her were soulmates.


TheBohemianBookworm And yes I love Lily dearly but think it was wrong of her to date James despite the way he treated Snape who was her best friend. Snape worshipped the ground she walked on but she never appreciated him.


Roger Snape and Lilly were most definitely not soul mates. They were childhood friends that could have possibly been more, but didn't blossom because of Snape's attitude.


message 12: by Iris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iris I don't like Lily or James quite frankly, and I'm not sure whether they deserved each other. But I do know that Snape didn't deserve Lily. At the time he thought lowly of Muggle borns, which is what she was, so that wasn't going to work out. It took her death for him to see the error of his ways, to actually see the muggle borns as people.

But I think I would've preferred it if Lily didn't choose either of them. Matured or not, James could be cruel.


Gianna Iris wrote: "I don't like Lily or James quite frankly, and I'm not sure whether they deserved each other. But I do know that Snape didn't deserve Lily. At the time he thought lowly of Muggle borns, which is wha..."

I agree


message 14: by booklover123 (last edited Jul 30, 2014 06:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

booklover123 Eliza wrote: "Snape was a very tragic figure, but he wasn't nice and kind. He was a racist, and he practiced the dark arts, and he wasn't willing to change.

She didn't have to choose either James or Snape just..."


Snape was not raised to hate Muggles. His father was a Muggle himself. I doubt a Muggle hater would marry a Muggle. I believe he grew to hate Muggles because he disliked his father. Lily asked him were his parents still arguing he nodded and said his father did not like magic.

Also, Snape was not sweet nor kind. He was into the Dark Arts. Eventually, they would have drifted apart because he wanted to become a Death Eater. When he slept outside the Gryffindor common room and she commented on some his friends' idea of fun as evil. Birds of a feather flock together. It can be assumed that they were drifting apart from that particular conversation. I think that him calling her a Mudblood was the straw that broke the camel's back.Keep in mind that JK meant for Mudblood to be a racist term. Imagine if your very best friend in the world called you something racist to save face? That is a very big deal and not characteristic of a "sweet" person.


Aliza snape drove lily away himself and pushed her toward james, meanwhile James may have been conceited but we know that he changed and became a good and caring person. they both had the same chance and each one reacted differently and got what he was willing to give.


Mahgul Fawad I agree with Eliza completely, there was no choice between them. James.


message 17: by Channah (new) - added it

Channah I find this interesting because we never really get to know either Lily or James the way we do Snape (and even Snape we don't know all that much about.)
I don't think Lily had to choose either of them, and I don't think she would have married Snape if she hadn't married James. She and Snape did not go well together, and Snape was a deeply messed up person who didn't know how to love.
I feel sorry for Snape, but he is not "sweet and kind". Maybe if he had had a better upbringing... but regardless, he throws his lot in with the death eaters. I do kind of wish Lily had given him another chance as her friend, because I think if Snape had been able to meet more normal people, he might have been a lot different, but she was scared and he was doing dangerous things and it was completely right for her to end it.
In the end, she married James. From what little we see of them, I don't think we can tell whether or not it was a good idea.


back to top