What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
This topic is about Treasure
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical Fiction/ Romans in Southern USA - showdown or shootout in frozen ship? [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lanark (last edited May 08, 2018 03:35PM) (new)

Lanark McVie | 3 comments I bought this book second-hand about 12 years ago (around 2004/2005). It was a hardback and blue cloth binding (I think). I think it was published in the early 1970's.
A scene early on in the book has a legion of Romans facing a native people in a pitched battle. This would be roughly 200AD. The scene then moves to the present with some Roman weapons (spear points I think) and archaeological artifacts being discovered in Southern Texas (I think).
Unsure how this book continues but I think the action then involves an explorer/ archaeologist getting involved and tracking down the Roman's ship to the frozen Canadian wilderness or somewhere like that. If I remember correctly there might be a showdown/ shootout of some sort in the frozen ship.
Sorry this is so vague. I am certain it is not The Far Arena by Richard Ben Sapir. It is an adult book.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40689 comments Mod
So no time travel, but not just straight historical fiction either because it involves Romans being in places they never would have been? Is it historical fantasy / alternative history?

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Lanark, does most of the story take place in the past or present?

Can you describe the main characters in the present (southern U.S., etc.)?

message 4: by Lanark (new)

Lanark McVie | 3 comments Most of the action takes place in the present. The opening chapter is set in the 2nd Century AD (or thereabouts) and a battle is described between a Roman Legion and some native people. The location of the battle is not revealed until later in the book.
The main central character is male and an archaeologist. I am a bit stumped after that.

message 5: by Kris (last edited May 14, 2018 09:51AM) (new)

Perhaps reviews of Clash of Eagles (2015) by Alan Smale will offer some clues.

What's the overall tone - mystery, action, thriller, etc.?

Can you tell us more about the archaeologist - his age, motivation/interests/skills, family/friends, any romance, etc.?

message 6: by Lanark (new)

Lanark McVie | 3 comments Solved. Clive Cussler "Treasure".

message 7: by Kris (new)

Glad you found your book, Lanark. Here's the link - Treasure by Clive Cussler.