Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Mechanic (Working Men #1)
This topic is about The Mechanic
Book Issues > Duplicate Books in Working Men Series

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Gray | 7 comments Hi there,

I'm wondering if I could get a librarian to help me with a duplication issue in my Working Men Series. I have four books in the series so far and for each book I have created it in Goodreads as:

The Mechanic (Working Men #1)
The Carpenter (Working Men #2)
The Bartender (Working Men #3)
The Welder (Working Men #4)

Unfortunately there seems to be others creating the books as well and readers are leaving reviews/ratings on those ones. Is it possible to combine or delete (or whatever lovely magic it is that you librarians do!) the other duplicate books?

In some cases (The Bartender for example), there have been two duplicate books created in addition to the original one I created.

It's Working Men Pandemonium!

The only ones that should be on my dashboard are the ones I reference above with those exact titles as I created those and they have the ISBN number on them.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

Cheers!

Ramona

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45422 comments Mod
The additional editions have been added by imports. Ebooks (with an ISBN) and Kindle editions are considered different editions on Goodreads, although I am working on combining them into their given works.

However, it also looks like there are Kindle editions with ISBNs, such as this one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Was that ISBN used for anything other than the Kindle edition? As I mentioned, on Goodreads we list Kindle editions by ASIN, not ISBN. So if those ISBNs were not used to list the books elsewhere, those editions can be merged (deleted).

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Also, do these books have any common characters?

message 4: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Gray | 7 comments Hi Rivka,

The ISBN's are only used for the kindle editions. I have ISBNs specifically for the Kindle edition. When I create the book to add to Goodreads, I always say it's a Kindle edition and add the ISBN that is specific to the Kindle (the example you posted above is the one that I created for Goodreads) version.

My apologies though as I didn't realize I shouldn't call it a Kindle edition and add the ISBN number.

The books do have common characters.

Thank you so much for your help! Much appreciated!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ramona wrote: "I have ISBNs specifically for the Kindle edition. When I create the book to add to Goodreads, I always say it's a Kindle edition and add the ISBN that is specific to the Kindle (the example you posted above is the one that I created for Goodreads) version."

You're far from the only author who does this. If instead when adding Kindled editions on Goodreads you add the ASIN (in the ASIN field), you'll prevent a duplicate Kindle edition from being imported. I have set these 4 to merge.

Ramona wrote: "The books do have common characters."

Thanks for confirming. Here's the series page: https://www.goodreads.com/series/2328...

message 6: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Gray | 7 comments Thank you so much, rivka! You're a rock star! My author dashboard looks much better and I appreciate you creating the series page as well.

In the future, I will add the ASIN rather than the ISBN to prevent duplicate Kindle editions.

Thank you again!

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

:)