English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > August 2014 read-along

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jul 28, 2014 07:24PM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4758 comments Mod
We have four new books this month starting with Sea of Stone by Michael Ridpath it comes available on August 1st. Then Henning Mankell's book An Event in Autumn: A Kurt Wallander Mystery comes out on the 12th of August. We then have Alphabet House published the 15 of August by Jussi Adler-Olsen. The Hunting Dogs by Jørn Lier Horst will came out on the 25th of July. Good reading this month.

message 2: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 19 comments Do you know whether Mankell's new book is the same as "The Grave", which was published in 2004 and distributed to crime novel readers in The Netherlands as a complimentary gift? Just curious - and looking forward to reading it.

message 3: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

It does look familiar. One of the Wallander's from the TV.

message 4: by Fizzycola (new)

Fizzycola | 163 comments Bonnie wrote: "Do you know whether Mankell's new book is the same as "The Grave", which was published in 2004 and distributed to crime novel readers in The Netherlands as a complimentary gift? Just curious - and ..."

Yeah, I think it's the same book. I read it in Swedish with the title "Handen" = The Hand.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments Kenneth I dont think it was on tv. I am quite familiar with all the tv Kurts..

message 6: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2447 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Kenneth I dont think it was on tv. I am quite familiar with all the tv Kurts.."

I am as well and even so I don't see them having made a novella into a 90 minute drama. There are so many good dramas in the three series that were never printed into books in English....just happy to enjoy it.

Shame I cannot get ahold of some of the reading in time to join.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryschumacher) | 26 comments The BBC made An Event in Autumn with Kenneth Branagh. I saw it in the US on PBS.

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue | 81 comments Am going to read The Hunting Dogs and The Alphabet Path. I like to read in sequence and am too far behind the other two! Looking forward to the Adler- Olsen as I love the humour. Please no-one tell me the other is no 500 :). Anyone read any of them?

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 40 comments Sue wrote: "Am going to read The Hunting Dogs and The Alphabet Path. I like to read in sequence and am too far behind the other two! Looking forward to the Adler- Olsen as I love the humour. Please no-one tel..."

I love Jussi Adler-Olsen; I've read them all.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen | 141 comments Yes Hunting Dogs by Jorn Lier Horst was great but oddly not my favourite of his. I liked Closed for winter and Dregs better. Same with Johan Theorin. He won for Darkest Room but I thought The Quarry was a better book. I am looking forward to reading The Seventh Son.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 40 comments Helen wrote: "Yes Hunting Dogs by Jorn Lier Horst was great but oddly not my favourite of his. I liked Closed for winter and Dregs better. Same with Johan Theorin. He won for Darkest Room but I thought The Quar..."

I have been trying to read THE QUARRY for years because I like Theorin, but it's still not available on Kindle.

message 12: by Helen (new)

Helen | 141 comments Well I had no problem getting it on Kindle. I just checked on Amazon and it is there.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 40 comments Helen wrote: "Well I had no problem getting it on Kindle. I just checked on Amazon and it is there."

Are you in the US?

message 14: by Gary (last edited Aug 14, 2014 12:50PM) (new)

Gary Van Cott | 132 comments I read The Quarry a while back. It is the most recent book, The Ghost in the Grave (Rörgast), I haven't been able to get.

message 15: by Angel (new)

Angel Wilde (angelwilde) | 1 comments When is"the Alphabet House" available in the US? Anyone know?

message 16: by Helen (new)

Helen | 141 comments Kathy wrote: "Helen wrote: "Well I had no problem getting it on Kindle. I just checked on Amazon and it is there."

Are you in the US?"

No. Newcastle in Australia. Land of wine and beaches.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 40 comments It's not available on Kindle in the US.

message 18: by Helen (new)

Helen | 141 comments That is odd. I don't understand. Isn't Amazon in America.

message 19: by Gary (new)

Gary Van Cott | 132 comments Of course, but it appears that generally kindle books are not available in the US until the book is published here.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 40 comments There's Amazon US and Amazon UK. Sadly, we often can't get books published in the UK until later. That's frustrating in these days of digital publishing.

message 21: by Gary (new)

Gary Van Cott | 132 comments Very frustrating. The US publishers apparently like to get paid for their generally unnecessary editing.

message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen | 141 comments Well that is a pity. I didn't know I was so privileged. Anyway, a fan of Johan Theorin is a friend of mine. I love his books and I consider the quarry his best (A opinion shared with a lot of oter people) Not as fussed on The Asylum. I suppose he is so "personal and sensitive" that I cherish. Similar, but more brutal is G. W. Leif Persson I cannot wait for The Dying Detective to be released. Loved Linda - som i Lindamordet Not aware of any Theorin' s recent books. Cheers

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen | 141 comments I have tried to analyse the reasons why I love these Scandi books. I suspect it gives me glimpses of another very civilized evolved society. Sometimes brittle. Johan Theorin put it very well in the book the Quarry when the hero retorts to some detestable author who bragged about his tax dodges "How do you think we pay for our schools, our roads everything. People like you give me the creeps Take Take and resent giving back" words to that effect. It is controlled and well run but the downside is the high taxes.

message 24: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I finally got to read Henning Mankell's book An Event in Autumn. Kenneth Branagh was Wallander in the series where the book was played. I liked the book better because it followed the story much better. And I liked the afterward that Henning
wrote after the story.

message 25: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Finally received Sea of Stone by Michael Ridpath from the Library. Hope to report on it soon.

message 26: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I finished Sea of Stone and really enjoyed it. Magnus finally finds out who killed his father. Makes it impossible to resolve anything with his brother. Many, many bodies. The return of Ingileif into his life. Will he return don't know. Well, will he Michael?

message 27: by Billys (new)

Billys Boots | 20 comments Reading 'The Hunting Dogs' at present - very good, as you would expect. Jorn Lier Horst is becoming a firm favourite with me.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 40 comments Billys wrote: "Reading 'The Hunting Dogs' at present - very good, as you would expect. Jorn Lier Horst is becoming a firm favourite with me."

Billys, I so agree about Jorn Lier Horst. He has become a firm favorite of mine, too.

message 29: by Helen (new)

Helen | 141 comments Yes, I liked that book also. However, I think "Dregs" and "Closed for winter" were better books.I am looking forward to future books.