Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Power
This topic is about The Power
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Alderman, Naomi-The Power--Informal Buddy Read starts July 15, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Power by Naomi Alderman.

description

Synopsis
In The Power the world is a recognisable place: there's a rich Nigerian kid who lounges around the family pool; a foster girl whose religious parents hide their true nature; a local American politician; a tough London girl from a tricky family. But something vital has changed, causing their lives to converge with devastating effect. Teenage girls now have immense physical power - they can cause agonising pain and even death. And, with this small twist of nature, the world changes utterly.

This extraordinary novel by Naomi Alderman, a Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year and Granta Best of British writer, is not only a gripping story of how the world would change if power was in the hands of women but also exposes, with breath-taking daring, our contemporary world.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
Reserved

Jenny | 5884 comments Hi. Jenny from team Remus Lupin here. I have this in my to read pile, and would love to join this buddy read.

Elen | 1112 comments Hei, Jenny.

I am Elen from team Hermione Granger. Excited to read this book, I have heard good things about this one. :D

Jenny | 5884 comments I have too. I almost read this last month for the Uno challenge, as my copy has a red cover, but a teammate beat me to that card.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments HI Jenny & Elen,
I 'm excited to read this one too; too bad I 'm 4th in queue for it! It was highly recommended to me!

Elen | 1112 comments I'm 4th in the queue too. I would love to read sooner, but I can read other things meanwhile while waiting.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Elen wrote: "I'm 4th in the queue too. I would love to read sooner, but I can read other things meanwhile while waiting."

That's very true, Elen!

Geri | 2042 comments Hi All...Team Ginny Weasley. I’d like to join too. Curious about the book. The book isn’t as in demand at my library, so I’ll wait until closer to the date. I’ll try to monitor the thread in case you all can read the book sooner.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Hi All...Team Ginny Weasley. I’d like to join too. Curious about the book. The book isn’t as in demand at my library, so I’ll wait until closer to the date. I’ll try to monitor the thread in case y..."

Hi Geri, fancy seeing you in a buddy read thread:-)

Brooke | 1199 comments LOL - hey Laura & Geri!
I’ve had this book on my shelf for MONTHS. I need to read it, so yay for buddy reads! Count me in. 😊

message 12: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: “Hi Geri, fancy seeing you in a buddy read thread:-)
"

Hi Laura, Brooke, Elen and Jenny. I have to pace myself before I commit myself to too many buddy reads. It won’t be easy!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "LOL - hey Laura & Geri!
I’ve had this book on my shelf for MONTHS. I need to read it, so yay for buddy reads! Count me in. 😊"

HI Brooke!!

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Hello everyone (and hiiii Jenny, nice seeing you here :))

As I already mentioned in the BR request thread I'll try to join as well for Team Lockhart :)

Jenny | 5884 comments Christina wrote: "Hello everyone (and hiiii Jenny, nice seeing you here :))

As I already mentioned in the BR request thread I'll try to join as well for Team Lockhart :)"

Hi Christina!
Did all of our Uno team make it over to this challenge? I have seen messages from many of us.

Looking forward to this book.

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Jenny wrote: "Christina wrote: "Hello everyone (and hiiii Jenny, nice seeing you here :))

As I already mentioned in the BR request thread I'll try to join as well for Team Lockhart :)"

Hi Christina!
Did all of..."

Marie, Kirsten, Daniela, you and me are taking part; Nikki, Laura and Dima are not as far as I know.

it's always great to see familiar faces! :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments I'm in for Team Hermione Granger

message 18: by Kristel (last edited May 11, 2018 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristel | 287 comments Hi! I'm from team Tom Riddle. This book has been on my to-read list for a while now, can't wait to start reading it!

Claire  | 3800 comments I received this book as a gift a few months ago, maybe I'll join the buddy read. I hope to have the time for it.

Team Hermione

message 20: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Hi all,

I bought this book ages ago but never got around to reading it so I'm very tempted to join you. 15th July seems like ages away so I will need to try and remember.

Team Lockhart (hi Christina)

message 21: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy | 2151 comments Team Myrtle here 😊

I got this back in January and have been dying to read it, but somehow haven't found the time... I might join you guys!

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Hey Alison! I'll try to remind you ;)

Annalisa | 1371 comments Hi, I'm interested in joining this BR. I'm not sure how long the wait or if I will be able to get it from my library. I really enjoy Zombies, Run! story for when I walk/jog, so it would be interesting to read a novel by Naomi Alderman.

I'll check in to see if everyone starts sooner.

I'm from Team Severus Snape.

message 24: by Emma (M) (last edited Jun 13, 2018 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma (M) | 1744 comments I just finished the book, but am looking forward to discussing it with you all once the buddy read starts. I really enjoyed it and have added it to my favourites shelf.

message 25: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I am losing hope that I will get this from the library! I’ll buy it, though. So frustrating when people keep their books for the full 2 weeks! LOL

Looking forward to starting this with everyone!

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I was quite looking forward to this one; but like Geri my copy hasn't arrived yet. I was going to buy it but after seeing its 17$ I'm going to wait until my copy comes in. :-(

message 27: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy | 2151 comments I just started this and I already love the way the story is framed! I always enjoy the story-within-a-story thing.

Emma (M) | 1744 comments Judy wrote: "I just started this and I already love the way the story is framed! I always enjoy the story-within-a-story thing."

Yes, it sorta reminded me a bit of the ending of The Handmaid’s Tale, but throughout the book instead.

Emma (M) | 1744 comments I’m not a huge lover of books told from multiple POV, but I really enjoyed all the different character voices in this book. It worked well for this story as well, seeing the affects of women gaining these powers from multiple perspectives.

message 30: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy | 2151 comments Emma (M) wrote: "Yes, it sorta reminded me a bit of the ending of The Handmaid’s Tale, but throughout the book instead."

The Handmaid's Tale was the first comparison that came to my mind, too! Probably at least a little because of the subject matter...

message 31: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy | 2151 comments Up to "six years to go":

I didn't think this would be so much about religion, but I guess it makes sense that humans turn something like this power into a weird cult...

I’m really enjoying all the POVs showing us different angles on the movement from people who appear to be key figures - (view spoiler)

Emma (M) | 1744 comments I loved Roxie, her storyline was my favourite and I found her and Tunde were the most nuanced characters.

message 33: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I started and stopped at 6 years to go as well! I wasn’t sure what to expect, but so far it is holding my interest. I am most interested in Allie and her spiritual calling in the book. I don’t quite understand “the power”. But I can see how that would change the dynamics of society. I am about a third through. Things are still developing. I definitely want to see what will happen next.

message 34: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "I was quite looking forward to this one; but like Geri my copy hasn't arrived yet. I was going to buy it but after seeing its 17$ I'm going to wait until my copy comes in. :-("

Darn! I didn’t realize it was that expensive. I used a precious credit on Audible.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments 32$ hardcover, 17$ on Kindle. Makes me wish I listened to audio.

message 36: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy | 2151 comments Laura wrote: "32$ hardcover, 17$ on Kindle. Makes me wish I listened to audio."

Wow, that is ridiculously expensive!

Jenny | 5884 comments Books keep getting more expensive, don't they? I can't help buying them though. I am an addict. I always buy the hardcover when it comes out.

I was going to start this one today, but my copy is at work, so I will start it tomorrow. The comments so far look encouraging, I am looking forward to it!

message 38: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1112 comments I am up to chapter/section "Six years to go"

First, I didn't know anything about this book when I started it, only that it's about women and their power. I really like that book is told in some MC perspective. World building is really interesting, but some places are not so "interesting" to me.

I didn't really expect that church will have such a big part of this book, not really my thing at all, but it's pretty obvious that it would be if take into what this book is about.
Now I am really interested to see what will eventually happen with women and their power. And how men will react to that - will they fight, which would be obvious. And what will happen to all MC - especially Allie, Roxy.

message 39: by Emma (M) (last edited Jul 16, 2018 05:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma (M) | 1744 comments Elen wrote: "I am up to chapter/section "Six years to go"

First, I didn't know anything about this book when I started it, only that it's about women and their power. I really like that book is told in some MC..."

I felt the same Elen, some POVs and places were more interesting to me than others. I loved Roxie’s POV the most and was interested in Tunde’s, however I think the perspective of one of the men that was struggling with the change in power dynamics would have been a great POV to add.

Annalisa | 1371 comments So far all I've had the chance to read was the two letters at the start. I think it is an interesting way to set up a book. I'm looking forward to seeing how the story plays out.

message 41: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1112 comments Emma (M) wrote: "I felt the same Elen, some POVs and places were more interesting to me than others. I loved Roxie’s POV the most and was interested in Tunde’s, however, I think the perspective of one of the men that was struggling with the change in power dynamics would have been a great POV to add. "

Agree, Roxy is really strong MC. Her background is perfect for the revolution and war, she knows how to act, fight etc.
Tunde - I agree that it's very nice to have male POV, but right now he is more like - I need money, I need "cool" story - whatever it will take him. I hope he will have more impact or story to tell us from men perspective.

message 42: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy | 2151 comments Up to "One year":

This is getting more and more intense with every page... and we've been getting plenty from the men's perspective now, I think. I really could've done without those MRAs, but I assumed from the start that this was what was going to happen - definitely less surprising than all the religion.

Speaking of the religion, I wonder in what ways Allie and Mother Eve are separate, and how they’re the same - obviously Mother Eve is the role she plays as the prophet, but I think they don’t always appear to be the same person with the same interests/end goal.

message 43: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Judy wrote: "Up to "One year":

.Speaking of the religion, I wonder in what ways Allie and Mother Eve are separate, and how they’re the same - obviously Mother Eve is the role she plays as the prophet, but I think they don’t always appear to be the same person with the same interests/end goal"

That is really interesting to me too! Mother Eve “talks” to Allie. I don’t think they are one and the same. That is why they sometimes differ, I think. I really do find their conversations interesting!

message 44: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I stopped at section “Can’t be more than 7 months left.” Things are getting pretty crazy! (view spoiler)

I am finding the anomalies interesting too.(view spoiler)

And Roxy. Her story was surprising. (view spoiler) I really want to find out what happens to Roxy! LOL

Jenny | 5884 comments I'm only about 50 pages in so far- work, you know- but I have to say that the voice is creeping me out!

message 46: by Elen (last edited Jul 16, 2018 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1112 comments Geri wrote: "I am finding the anomalies interesting too.[spoilers removed]
"

Agree. These anomalies are really interesting and bring diversity to the book. It's like not everyone is perfect. (view spoiler)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments I haven't had a chance to start yet :(

Kate S | 1967 comments I had a hard time walking away from this one. I knew very little walking into it, but enjoyed the story, even if there were a few cringe-worthy moments. This one will be interesting to re-visit.

Emma (M) | 1744 comments Geri wrote: "I stopped at section “Can’t be more than 7 months left.” Things are getting pretty crazy! [spoilers removed]

And Roxy. Her story was ..."

Yes, Roxie’s story was surprising (view spoiler)

message 50: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1112 comments Finished!

What a story, what a journey. I liked the idea and some aspects of the book, but there were so many things that I just couldn't take.

About the book: (view spoiler)

Allie aka Mother Eve - (view spoiler)

Roxy - (view spoiler)

Tunde - (view spoiler)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Power (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Naomi Alderman (other topics)